I need a plan "B" ... Suggestions???

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaptainJim

Reaction score
Was originally planning to do Carter Dome via Mt. Hight on Sat. 3/19 with some folks from the EMS store in Millbury MA . Due to various unforseen circumstances my only free date is now Sun. the 20th. Also because of time constraints (I live 3 1/2 hours from Carter) I'm beginning to think about a "Plan B" destination. I'd still like to do Hight/Carter but with all the snow probably making it a longer day I'm beginning to consider a Plan "B".

I got the day off from work, wife & kids so I AM going to go SOMEWHERE! I will be solo since the group is going on the 19th. I've done Mt. Washington solo twice already this winter, so solo isn't a problem. I was wondering if anyone would have a really nice alternative idea for me that might be a little closer to home in case I don't get the time or weather to do Hight/Carter. I live in Hubbardston (No. Central MA). Perhaps something in Southern NH or VT??? Preferably one of the 4000'+ mts. Any suggestions???

Or if anyone is going out to a suitable mt. and wouldn't mind a tag along???

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
Capt. Jim

Moosilauke, Kinsmans, Cannon, Garfield, anything on Franconia Ridge, Tecumseh, Sandwich Dome (an anti-4k-er). All nice peaks and a good bit shorter drive than the Carters.

Sorry, I'm tied up on Sunday.

Doug

TMax said:
Have you considered Mansfield? It's a great hike.

I'm sure it is... unfortunately it's just about as far as the Carters for me. If I'm gonna drive that far I'll stick with Plan "A" ... thanks for the suggestion though... it's definately on my list... my brother-in-law lives right near there!

I've lots of good things about Moosilauke too... I'm checking the maps etc... right now for that one!

Thanks again!

Jim

CaptainJim said:
I've lots of good things about Moosilauke too... I'm checking the maps etc... right now for that one.

Great views from the summit. Almost always windy. (The ridge between the South and main summits is also windy--tree line on the ridge is about waist high.)

Glencliff, Snapper, and Gorge Brook Trails are commonly snowshoed in winter. The approach to the DOC Ravine Lodge is an easy ski.

Snapper, the Carriage Rd, and Gorge Brook are skiable (Goodman rates them moderate), bring skins and downhill technique. Al Merrill loop is fairly easy.

Doug

Last edited:
I'm doing Waumbek on Sunday the 20th starting at 2am for a last "official winter peakbag" of the season. PM me if interested,

SJ :eek:

Thanks so much......

Sherpa John said:
I'm doing Waumbek on Sunday the 20th starting at 2am for a last "official winter peakbag" of the season. PM me if interested,

SJ :eek:

Thanks very much for the offer SherpaJohn, but Waumbek is even further of a ride for me than Hight/Carter. If I'm gonna drive that far I'll just stick with my original plan and do Hight/Carter. I really do appreciate the offer though... not everyone would extend an offer to hike with someone they don't even know! :)

I can't wait till I get the chance to hike with some of you guys/gals from VFTT. Everyone here seems like great people who really love backpacking. I've been to "other" forums (like thebackpacker & backpacker.com), where all they do is chatter about everything BUT backpacking, and no one ever seems to really go out and hike.

Thanks again!
Capt. Jim

ps: also 2:00 am start??? :eek: wow... why so early? I'l be lucky if I'm in bed by then.
;)

CaptainJim said:
ps: also 2:00 am start??? :eek: wow... why so early? I'l be lucky if I'm in bed by then.
;)

well ya see... "winter peakbagging" ends promptly at 7:33am and the rules state that one must travel on foot too and from the summit (trailhead to trailhead) before the end of said season.

So.. 2am ensures us an early start and finish... making it the last Official winter peakbag of winter '04-'05

;)

Aaaaahhhh... I see said the blind man...

Sherpa John said:
well ya see... "winter peakbagging" ends promptly at 7:33am and the rules state that one must travel on foot too and from the summit (trailhead to trailhead) before the end of said season.

So.. 2am ensures us an early start and finish... making it the last Official winter peakbag of winter '04-'05

;)

Ah yes... I knew the first full spring day was Monday, but I didn't realize winter actually ended so early Sunday morning. All the more reason I might have to stick to a shorter ride. I can probably finish Moosilauke by then... it's more of a straight shot right up 93 and hence a much shorter ride for me time wise.

BrentD22... Mt. Chocorua sounds very interesting too though...I've often looked at that pointy peak and wished I had the time to bag that one... unfortunately it'll have to wait as I really wanted to get in a 4000+ mtn. & now that SherpaJohn has pointed out the early winter end it's beginning to look like I may go Sat night after work, catch some zzzz's in the car and get an early start on Moosilauke.

Capt. Jim

Last edited:
Best route in winter for Moosilauke???

It has been brought to my attention by several people that the Ravine Lodge Road is gated in winter. This I understand adds 3.2 mi RT to the hike. Not that it is a problem but I was wondering if any of you can suggest another route or is this still the best way to go?

How about coming down from the NE on Beaver Brook Trail ? Is there parking. Is it longer or shorter thanGeorge Brook Trail. It looks steeper, and I don't mind that, I'm more concerned with time/distance.

How about coming up from the SW on Glencliff trail... same questions (parking, distance etc.)

I really appreciate all the info you guys & gals have given. I'm also now considering Mt. Liberty and Mt. Flume via Liberty Springs & Franconia Ridge Trails and retrace back. Am I crazy?

The "winter" designation is the LEAST of my worries... I just don't get that many days off and want an exciting fun day preferably with a summit above treeline.

Thanks again!
Capt. Jim

CaptainJim said:
It has been brought to my attention by several people that the Ravine Lodge Road is gated in winter. This I understand adds 3.2 mi RT to the hike. Not that it is a problem but I was wondering if any of you can suggest another route or is this still the best way to go?

How about coming down from the NE on Beaver Brook Trail ? Is there parking. Is it longer or shorter thanGeorge Brook Trail. It looks steeper, and I don't mind that, I'm more concerned with time/distance.

How about coming up from the SW on Glencliff trail... same questions (parking, distance etc.)

I generally ski Snapper Tr and the Carriage Rd via Ravine Lodge Road, so it gives me a nice easy ride back to my car. Parking is available. Gorge Brk Tr and Snapper Tr form a nice hiking/skiing loop and you can hit both summits.

I believe Beaver Brook Tr is done in winter, don't know about parking.

Glencliff is a popular hike in winter, so parking must be available.

CaptainJim said:
I'm also now considering Mt. Liberty and Mt. Flume via Liberty Springs & Franconia Ridge Trails and retrace back. Am I crazy?

Nope. Up Flume Tr and down Liberty Springs Tr is a nice loop. (Upper Flume Tr is rather steep.) If Flume Tr isn't broken, you can access the ridge via LST and go to Flume via the ridge. (Or you can bag Liberty and head north as far as Lafayette.) There is parking for all of these trails. (See the WMG for parking for LST/FT--about 1/2mi walk to the trailhead from the parking lot.)

A loop of Lafayette, Lincoln, and Little Haystack via The Bridle Path and Falling Waters Tr is justifiably popular in both winter and summer.

There is a summer bike path/winter snowmobile trail running parallel to Rte 93 (from Skookumchuk Tr to Flume Parking lot) which is an easy way to get back to your car if you take trails that use different trailheads.

Doug

Last edited:
DougPaul said:
Up Flume Tr and down Liberty Springs Tr is a nice loop. (Upper Flume Tr is rather steep.) If Flume Tr isn't broken, you can access the ridge via LST and go to Flume via the ridge.
Doug

Thanks DougPaul... just curious, is the Flume Trail of which you speak the "Flume Slide Trail" David Metsky describes below?
From David Metsky's site: "Access to Mt Flume from Franconia Notch is via the AT up the Liberty Springs trail to the Franconia Ridge trail. This route covers 4.5 miles each way. Another, more difficult route is up the Flume Slide trail, which isn't recommended for winter climbing or descent any time of year."

If so... is it really that difficult or dangerous that it isn't recommended in winter? Because up Flume Slide to Mt. Flume then North on Franconia Ridge Trail and back down on the Liberty Springs Trail looks like a nice loop to me. If this is the same loop you describe do you know it's distance (to me it looks to be 8 - 10 miles RT)

As always, THANKS everyone for all the info!
icon_2thumbsup.gif

Capt. Jim

CaptainJim said:
Thanks DougPaul... just curious, is the Flume Trail of which you speak the "Flume Slide Trail" David Metsky describes below?
From David Metsky's site: "Access to Mt Flume from Franconia Notch is via the AT up the Liberty Springs trail to the Franconia Ridge trail. This route covers 4.5 miles each way. Another, more difficult route is up the Flume Slide trail, which isn't recommended for winter climbing or descent any time of year."

If so... is it really that difficult or dangerous that it isn't recommended in winter? Because up Flume Slide to Mt. Flume then North on Franconia Ridge Trail and back down on the Liberty Springs Trail looks like a nice loop to me. If this is the same loop you describe do you know it's distance (to me it looks to be 8 - 10 miles RT)

Yes: same trail, I was a little careless in my terminology: I meant Flume Slide Trail

Flume Slide Trail is steep and is probably safer to go up than down. Given the current deep snowpack, it might be too much for a soloist to break out. It ceratainly has been done in winter (a friend has even camped on the slide--required a bit of platform building...). I would start up Liberty Spr Tr, and decide at the junction to Flume Slide Tr. If FST wasn't broken out, I wouldn't try to break it. Otherwise, take your choice. The topo gives a peak slope angle of 41 deg--looks like avalanche hazard could be an issue.

Don't know the distance off hand--the segment distances should be in the WMG.

Doug

Maybe I'm a wimp, but I wouldn't try Flume slide in winter.

On the other paw, the pooch is trying to talk me into heading north for Sunday. I won't be able to say definitely 'til Friday.

If so, any interest in spotting a car and taking Osseo up Flume, then over the ridge to Liberty and down Liberty Springs?

Don't know what's up with me yet but...

Dugan said:
Maybe I'm a wimp, but I wouldn't try Flume slide in winter.

On the other paw, the pooch is trying to talk me into heading north for Sunday. I won't be able to say definitely 'til Friday.

If so, any interest in spotting a car and taking Osseo up Flume, then over the ridge to Liberty and down Liberty Springs?

I'd say sounds like you're definately not a wimp. I've had several people tell me I'm crazy to try going up Flume Slide in winter, especially given my experience (or lack of it) with ice climbing. I'm going to take the advice of all the more experienced people who have advised against it.

I'm still not sure what I'll be doing... like you it may come down to a last minute decision (may even end up at Moosilauke), but if I/we did do Liberty/Flume would it be easier to go up Liberty Springs and down Osseo? I don't know having never been there but it appears from my topos that Osseo isn't as steep and as such may be an easier decent than LS. Comments... suggestions?

Capt. Jim

I opted for Osseo to Liberty because I tend to prefer hiking uphill rather than down, but I'd do it from either side. Liberty Spring is easy in winter, almost always well packed. I haven't been on Osseo in winter so I don't know what that would be like, but I don't think it would be too bad.

We hiked up Osseo to Flume and Liberty and down LS trail in winter. You can go other direction, but the bottom part of Osseo and the Wilderness trail to the Kanc is really flat and boring. My preference is to do that part at the start of the trip vs the end. but that's just my preference.

If you are not spotting a car, I would definitely go up and down LS trail.

CaptainJim said:
I'd say sounds like you're definately not a wimp. I've had several people tell me I'm crazy to try going up Flume Slide in winter, especially given my experience (or lack of it) with ice climbing. I'm going to take the advice of all the more experienced people who have advised against it.

I'm still not sure what I'll be doing... like you it may come down to a last minute decision (may even end up at Moosilauke), but if I/we did do Liberty/Flume would it be easier to go up Liberty Springs and down Osseo? I don't know having never been there but it appears from my topos that Osseo isn't as steep and as such may be an easier decent than LS. Comments... suggestions?

FST will be a snow climb. Kicking snowshoe steps up a relatively steep hill is hard work, but doable. No ice climbing required. While I would take crampons, I'll bet the snow will be too deep to use them. (I just fell into an armpit deep spruce trap yesterday.) It is possible the trail is broken and packed (and/or sitting glissaded), if so, make sure you have good snowshoe crampons (or a high-traction snowshoe (eg MSRs)).

If you are concerned about FST, going up and down Liberty Springs Trail with the option of crossing over to Flume and back on the ridge is a fine hike. So is a Osseo to Liberty Springs Tr traverse.

Doug