I post trip reports because:

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Why do you post trip reports

• Total voters

albee

Reaction score
I have begun to take an introspective look at my activity on this website, and I am starting to question exactly why I post trip reports. Does anyone else ever think about this? There are so many possible ways to explain the motivation behind posting a TR, and it is quite possibly a combination of many factors, but could some people share their thoughts on why they post what they post? Feel free to choose multiple options, but try to pick the one that best describes your honest opinion.

A good trip report is a great thing. I think it's the 2nd most important aspect of this site (next to being able to meet other hikers that want to do the same hike). I checked all the boxes except for the last 2. I like positive feedback but the biggest reason I post reports is to organize the info and pics for myself.

I wish there was an option that says, "because I enjoy composing make-believe stories about places that I've never really gone to..."

I'll just chose the "to get green squares" option.

-Dr. Wu

You didn't have a choice for me.

I rarely write trip reports. There are only two times I will write one. One is if there was something really strange about the trip... running into a ghost, having an 'outer limit' experience on the hike, having extremely unusual weather, or something very out of the ordinary.... Or if I can make up a story that makes it seem out of the ordinary.

The other time will be a report on a trailwork outing, when I have a good crew, and I want to advertise the work they've done.

If I'm hiking my own hike, I'll rarely talk about it.

Pete_Hickey said:
You didn't have a choice for me.

I rarely write trip reports. There are only two times I will write one. One is if there was something really strange about the trip... running into a ghost, having an 'outer limit' experience on the hike, having extremely unusual weather, or something very out of the ordinary.... Or if I can make up a story that makes it seem out of the ordinary.

The other time will be a report on a trailwork outing, when I have a good crew, and I want to advertise the work they've done.

If I'm hiking my own hike, I'll rarely talk about it.
in other words, whoring for green squares, eh?

;)

-Dr. Wu

I write trip reports to share the experience with this fine community. And selfishly, perhaps my TRs, as part of many, encougage others to do so and I'll learn about more good places to try, or others to avoid.
For me, its a learning and sharing experience.

Locales that I don't want publicized never make the TRs. I also write trip reports on some very mundane hikes as with so many reading here, whats mundane for me might be a big deal to a newcomer.
My favorite to read and write are when something unusual happens, or the unexpected occurs.
Those are the most fun.

My TRs sure aren't for bragging rights(how many miles, how much ascent, how fast I did it). Those days are years past.

It's my way of re-living the hike in several ways:

1-thinking about what to put in the TR while driving home.
2-the writing
3-re-reading it
4-reading the replies to the TR and responding
5-re-reading the report months and years later

I guess if I hiked 2 or 3 times a week I wouldn't write TR's. But I can't, so I hike vicariously through my own reminiscences. Not to mention fellow forum members' reports.

Also, I send the links to my TR's to my family, who are far away, and a few good friends some of who are also far away. My mother loves reading them although she said she was relieved when winter was over. :D

(I keep saying I am going to print all of my TR's and maps with the route filled in but haven't gotten around to it yet.)

Last edited:
1. I have a poor memory
2. It forces me to take mental stock and observe more
3. Enjoy getting feedback, whether good or bad, and provides a learning experience from others
4. I can't remember what I said reason #1 was

I use trip reports of others especially in late Fall, Winter and early Spring. I find the information very useful. When posting my trip reports during these same times, I feel I am doing my share to provide others with information that could be useful to planning a successful/safe trip. I see trail reports as a way to contribute to the hiking community.

Fisher Cat said:
1. I have a poor memory
2. It forces me to take mental stock and observe more
3. Enjoy getting feedback, whether good or bad, and provides a learning experience from others
4. I can't remember what I said reason #1 was

Ha ha! But good points, at least to me since I'm the same way. I'm very big on documenting things in writing that I deem important. It's something I've always done. Why not share it? Plus, it's just fun to read other reports. I do it often. And when a report walks the fine line of being descriptive and poetic without being overly dramatic, it's a beautiful thing to read.

Rols said:
I use trip reports of others especially in late Fall, Winter and early Spring. I find the information very useful. When posting my trip reports during these same times, I feel I am doing my share to provide others with information that could be useful to planning a successful/safe trip. I see trail reports as a way to contribute to the hiking community.
That's a great point. When I write TR's in those season's I have to remind myself to make it practical and useful for anyone reading it.

Call it infotainment.

I post reports of trips that I think might be of use to others. My last one, of the Ruby Mountains in Nevada, tells a bit about a place that I know hardly any of you have been and would enjoy. Likewise, I usually only read the ones that are of interesting-sounding far away places or have a title promising an unusual story or an adventure we could all learn from.

I also enjoy newbie hikers describing with excitement what for most of us may be an oft-climbed route. Seeing it through other eyes makes it fresh again.

Kudos to Albee for asking the question.

I read a small portion of the TRs, and they have to be to some place I haven't been, like Audrey's recent trip to the Ruby's. I have a new neighbor with some land in the Ruby's, so I know she's not exaggerating.

I may get blasted for saying this but ... some of the trip reports are clearly self-serving, like the kind that say I did 427 peaks on 12 continents in 2 days, 22 minutes, in the dark, with sneakers, a broken flashlight, 2 liters of water and an old baloney sandwich. While on one level I appreciate the athleticism, I also wonder whether some would do them if VFTT didn't exist.

Maybe someone will craft a poll asking that question.

Kevin Rooney said:
I read a small portion of the TRs, and they have to be to some place I haven't been,
Not pointed at you, Kevin, but I believe this is a mistake alot of members make here. I'll read a Trip Report from someplace I've been 20 times because they almost always bring something new/unknown/unexpected into the mix for me. I'd go further to say TR's from places I haven't been are not as interesting because I'm not yet familiar with the area. Plus there is some GREAT writing and photos in these Trip Reports. I'll read a self-indulgent trip report anyday as opposed to the self-indulgent general questions or comments in these other sections.

I've been writing TRs of places that are new to me so that I can make them fresh for Audrey. :D

Seriously, I tend to write about my first hike somewhere or about a place not many people here have visited. Lately I haven't been writing much; instead I'm just savoring the walks. :)