[I]The[/I] Zealand Pond bull moose?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forestgnome

Reaction score
I spent Labor Day afternoon with a beautiful bull moose near Zealand Pond and I'm wondering if anyone has a close-up pic of the right ear of the bull who was the subject of the buzz last winter. Here's the only pic I could find, taken by Rocker21.

zealandmoose1.jpg

The bull I hung out with has a small battle notch toward the top of the back side of his right ear. These notches are wounds from the rut, caused by the ear getting caught between the antlers of both bulls. Ouch! These are the best way I know of distinguishing individual bulls.

In Rocket's pic I don't see any notch on the right ear, but it's a small one I'm looking for. This pic was taken after the antlers dropped so it he would already have the notch if it is him. I think it's too early in this season for a bull to suffer a wound in the rut and already have the wound completely healed, but that's a question for a biologist.

Here's the ear in question...

IMG_7820aaa.jpg

Anyway, I was hoping to find a small pond I see on the AMC map near Zealand Ponds. As I was searching and enjoying the area I spotted an antler through the woods. He was laying down for a rest. He's already shed his velvet but he still is doing lots of thrashing to polish them.

I slowly made my way toward him, taking advantage of an unusual southeast wind which was directly to my favor. I was able to get close enough to get a pic of the ear. I sat down and watched him doze until he decided to get up. Here he is stretching after his nap...

IMG_4530aaa.jpg

Then I gently announced my presence by mimicing some browsing sounds. He looked at me for a long moment and I remembered the incidents of last winter and made a note to self to give this bull plenty of space as I spent the rest of the afternoon with him.

IMG_7900aaa.jpg

This bull looks much bigger than the famed one, but that was winter so he could have bulked up through the seasons, but still I don't think it's the same guy.

Although I kept more distance than usual he did take a short bluff charge at me at one point. I made it clear I was cooperating and ran like a sissy and he stopped after only a few strides at me. It did get the heart pounding. Also, I suffered a minor ankle strain and a few scrapes to the legs in retreat.

After that he didn't seem to mind my presence at all. After a while he laid down for another rest...

IMG_4730aaa.jpg

This time he rested for well over an hour. I sat with him and had lunch. It was a beautiful scene in a nice birch glade with hobblebush starting to turn colors. The moose actually is laying on the edge of a small stream and gurggling of the water along with the filtered sunlight on the forest floor made for quite a magical experience...

IMG_4687aaa.jpg

He finally got up made his way uphill while making continous mating calls. At one point he made a rutting pit. I've found many of these in my travels but it was a wonderful first to see one being made. He scratched at the ground to dig the pit and then urinated in it. He did this twice.

He kept grazing his way uphill and making loud mating calls, barely noticing me anymore.

IMG_4755aaa.jpg

another wonderful day in Zealand Notch :)

Last edited:
Oh my goodness! What an encounter! So happy you have the patience to do this so we can all reap the rewards of the great photos!
Karen

Oh my goodness! What an encounter! So happy you have the patience to do this so we can all reap the rewards of the great photos!
Karen

Our thoughts exactly, as Fran and I sit and read your report and look at these amazing photographs! Thank you so so much.

You are going to miss New Hampshire sooooo much!!! :D

Thanks, all, for nice comments...it's a pleasure to share.

Good call! Yup, this has been on my mind and especially Monday when I was enjoying this adventure. I've decided it will probably be an extended working vacation for the snowboard season. I'm already homesick and I haven't even left yet! I feel deeply connected to these mountains...must be the MicMac blood :)

Last edited:
Sure! Extended vacation...then you come home. :)

A couple of weekends ago there was a moose near the Beaver Ponds on the Z trail -- we were just minutes behind, other hikers coming the other way had seen him/her and Terra really perked up and followed his/her trail awhile, then it turned into the woods. Wonder if its the same guy/gal?

GREAT pictures!

Wonderful images! You said it right when you described this as a magical experience. I will miss your regular dose of moose that you provide for us. Thanks.

JohnL

Wait a minute! There are moose in Utah (mainly northern). And Forestgnome, if your magic survives the trip west, you can always start befriending the elk.

From the Utah Dept of Community and Culture:
A member of the deer family, the elk lives in close association with the deer and moose throughout much of Utah...Mature bulls stand up to 60 inches at the shoulder and may weigh over 700 pounds.