I was not trying to start trouble.....

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kaibar

Reaction score
Evidently my post regarding "environmental quotes" was deleted. I was passing these on because they were forwarded to my office via an e-mail string. My point was that the environmental extremists are ruining any chances of getting the environmental movement advancing forward. I did not collect these quotes they are being e-mailed around to obviously point out the extreme views of many of the activists and to try and de-rail the anti-capitalist movement in this country....... It is a shame the post was deleted we need to see this stuff in order to correct the derailment of the eco movement..................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kaibar said:
Evidently my post regarding "environmental quotes" was deleted. I was passing these on because they were forwarded to my office via an e-mail string. My point was that the environmental extremists are ruining any chances of getting the environmental movement advancing forward. I did not collect these quotes they are being e-mailed around to obviously point out the extreme views of many of the activists and to try and de-rail the anti-capitalist movement in this country....... It is a shame the post was deleted we need to see this stuff in order to correct the derailment of the eco movement..................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The thing is, quotes made by obscure people 30 years ago aren't a good indicator of anything. If someone interviewed me and I said that the earth is made out of monkey vomit and they printed that, it doesn't mean it's useful.

I think that all or most of us here are in one way or another pro-environment. Your intentions were good but the post had a political bias which in general is a no-no here. Posting something more concrete regarding policy or something will usually start a more healthy conversation. Quotes will just start a flame war.

-Dr. Wu

The site rules can be found here. I have a strict no politics policy and a lot of that post was political. That is why it was deleted.

- darren

dr_wu002 said:
The thing is, quotes made by obscure people 30 years ago aren't a good indicator of anything. If someone interviewed me and I said that the earth is made out of monkey vomit and they printed that, it doesn't mean it's useful.

Exactly. That post was a compilation of some of worst, most extreme "environmentalists" views that I have ever seen. Even menbers of the Sierra Club would be horrified by those remarks, and I view the Sierra Club as somewhat extreme. Those quotes were nothing but a list of the worst quotes that some anti-environmentalist could find to try to prove some point.

I Don't Know.....

People on both sides seems to think things that were said or done 30 years ago are useful.. eg. "George Bush did cocaine in college and got DUI in Maine" & Ted Kennedy killed a girl while driving drunk..... Quotes like the ones forwarded to me begin to taint or brand parties and movements no matter when they were said! The environmental movement has been tainted & branded as a bunch of crazy anti-capitalist tree huggers that put the rights of sand, rock, vegitation, air & water above the rights of humans. What are we going to do to bring the movement closer to the center and fix this land slide of public disdain for environmentalists???????????

kaibar said:
People on both sides seems to think things that were said or done 30 years ago are useful.. eg. "George Bush did cocaine in college and got DUI in Maine" & Ted Kennedy killed a girl while driving drunk..... Quotes like the ones forwarded to me begin to taint or brand parties and movements no matter when they were said! The environmental movement has been tainted & branded as a bunch of crazy anti-capitalist tree huggers that put the rights of sand, rock, vegitation, air & water above the rights of humans. What are we going to do to bring the movement closer to the center and fix this land slide of public disdain for environmentalists???????????

What part of NO POLITICS do you not understand? George Bush and Ted Kennedy are politicians, right? That makes it politics. Now knock the crap off of you will join my growing list of people that I had to ban this week.

- darren

Kaibar,

Here is some unsolicited advice on dealing with these matters. NOTE: I'm not a moderator and the site owner has given you clear direction.

Here are the rules of judgement that I use regarding discussions on public policy. So far, they've kept me out of trouble (to some degree).

Backcountry Issue -> Politics is OK, not the other way around - There are many threads about very specific backcountry issues that naturally lead to discussions about public policy. The appropriate use of snowmobiles in the bc, how non-profits like the AMC are involved in the management of public lands and the merits of the USFS Parking Fee program are examples. I didn't see your original post but it sounds like you started it by making a generalized assertion about the environmental movement. Presumably you did so on the belief that this has a direct bearing on backcountry issues. But this is a backcountry forum, not a political forum. If you have a particular point of view, you can let it show provided you sit back and wait for the issue to be raised naturally in the context of a thread that is already talking about a specific backcountry issue (and provided you do so with the utmost care and tact - see below).

Avoid referances to parties or politicians - This is something of a third rail. I'm not saying its impossible to make a post on this board that mentions a poltical party or politician as I've seen it done. But by doing so, you invite being nuked like instantly.

Tone Matters - An ounce of image (tone) is worth a pound of performance (politics). That is... you can express a point of view if you ultra, ultra careful about your tone. Terms like "extremist" and "anti-capatilist" are chaulked full of negative implications. Arguements that contain a lot of "musts" and "shoulds" sound shrill -- as if you are trying to bring others to your pov. This sort of thing will almost always be seen as arguementative and (thankfully) will get you nuked.

Issues about the environment get discussed here all the time. How you say things is much more important than you might think.