Ice Axe Size

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KevCon223

Reaction score
Brooklyn, New York Avatar: Summit of Marcy
I use a BD Raven Ultra 60cm axe, and this seem to be just fine for Me (I'm 6'3"). A buddy of mine claims this is too small for My height. Opinions seem to vary greatly on this. I'm just trying to get an idea of what lenght others might use vs their height. I'm not one to use My axe as a walking stick.

Kevin

KevCon223 said:
I use a BD Raven Ultra 60cm axe, and this seem to be just fine for Me (I'm 6'3"). A buddy of mine claims this is too small for My height. Opinions seem to vary greatly on this. I'm just trying to get an idea of what lenght others might use vs their height. I'm not one to use My axe as a walking stick.
Depends on what you want to use it for.
60 cm is too long for high standard ice climbing.

70cm is the defacto standard for general mountaineering. (Ref Chouinard)

Since the Raven is a general mountaineering/hiker's axe, I'd guess that it might be a bit short for you.

Doug

The rule of thumb I've heard is, with your boots on and holding the axe by the head dangling next to you, the spike (bottom) should be 1-2" off the ground.
I recommend 70cm to most people but it really depends on what you're doing with it most of the time like Doug mentioned.

One of the few times I find the size will annoy you if too long or too short is on a long route where you are plunging it for a belay - too long and you can't reach as high, too short and you're bending over too much. Not too many of those long routes in the East, especially the Daks.

I have heard the exact same recommendation as cbcbd, numerous times in the past 5 years including at REI just a few days ago.

Size does matter!

This weekend I used mine quite a bit as a third support point on steeper sections. I would have preferred it to be a bit longer.

I'll measure mine as soon as I get the chance.

I've heard what NewHampshire was told, which isn't too far off from what CBCBD has heard......

Jay

KevCon223 said:

Kevin
Like you say, opinions vary. A lot depends on how you typically use the axe. For general mountaineering, a longer axe would probably be recommended for you, but it sounds like 60cm works for you, so... "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."