Iceland

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dr_wu002

Reaction score
I'm heading over to Iceland in Late May/Early June. This will be my first time out there and I plan on doing some hiking while I'm there. I realize it's perhaps not the best time of year to go (oh well) but I was wondering if anyone's been out there and can give suggestions for some hiking. I'm not looking for really crazy stuff as it's my first time there and I just want to tool around and get a feel for the place. I also read that during the May/June season some parts of the island get rain and some parts are nice. Any info on this? Info on bugs? Anything I'm missing? Know any places to get maps? Thanks!

Regards,

Dr. Wu

once, while hiking from Nippletop, i met a couple from Canada. they were well travelled, and our conversation about hiking eventually included some chat about Iceland. these folks had gone there during the summer solstice for a hike. they claimed that this is THE best time to go. apparently, the solstice is a huge holiday in Iceland. since the sun is up all day, folks hike all through the night. they begin around seven p.m. and hike from geothermal spa to geothermal spa during the entire night. it seems that the hike wraps up at "dawn" the next day with a huge party. maybe you can look into this. perhaps it has some potential for you to have a really excellent time there. i honestly don't know where to go to validate all this info, but i'm sure there's a place out there. maybe some other folks out there in VFTT can help you with this. good luck and enjoy.

When you get to Reykjavík, stop in at the Icelandic Alpine Club Hdqs. It is sort of like the AMC in Boston.

The club has a collection of backcountry huts that are accessible by 4WD vans. They regularly run weekend trips to these huts and hike and climb from there.

When I was there many years ago they welcomed me to their ranks and took me along for a weekend of tramping over lava and glaciers about 2 hours from town.

cb

I second ChrisB's suggestion. I have found it very difficult to find trail maps to hikes in Iceland. But the local mountaineers are very welcoming.

I'd recommend as a warmup hike, Mt. Esja, the mountain that is most prominent from Reykjavik. I don't believe it's in Reykjavik proper, but if you go down to the "Giant Bug" (the metal sculpture meant to look like a Viking Ship), you'll see Esja. Icelanders claim it has mystical qualities.

Another place I'd recommend that I started doing research on but never went to is Snaefellsjokul (sp?). It's a glacier in the northwestern part of the country that was the inspiration for Jules Vernes "Journey to the Center of the Earth."

Have a blast in Reykjavik -- my absolute favorite place in the world. Awesome pubs, great food, incredibly beautiful -- and friendly -- people. The Dubliner in downtown Reykjavik usually has good Irish music and hops; Paris Cafe is good for eats and if it's warm enough, has an outdoor cafe.

And...

There is (was?) as really nice municipal campground in town. It even has thernal springs and a bath house you can use after those back country adventures.

And be prepared to see a lot of (blond) locals worshiping the sun in June. The long dark days of winter make them really appreciate the sun and warm weather when it finally come around.

cb

If you're looking for a good, clean, cheap _ and convenient _ place to stay, I recommend the Salvation Army Guesthouse, which is right in the downtown.

Iceland is the most incredible place!

I also stayed at the Salvation Army Guest house in Reykjavik. Probably the cheapest place outside of camping. Flights there are reasonable, but everything else is very expensive. The Lonely Planet book on Iceland was helpful - not only with accommodations, but with places to hike and anything else you may need or want to know about.

If you plan to hike, check out Landmannalaugar – Þórsmörk. It is described here. It was the most amazing backpack of my life. We did it unguided. The trail is well marked with posts. Got the maps in Iceland at the sporting goods store, I believe.

Here are my pictures.

Enjoy your trip.