Icy Stream

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewHampshire

Reaction score
Goffstown NH, Avatar:Sending out praise for the Re
Taken on the way to Carrigain on Monday. Thanks to that blessed thing called Image Stabilization I got this handheld despite not a whole lot of light and a small aperture. No cropping done, just my usual saturation, contrast, and highlights/shadows adjustment. Tell me what you think:

2024416951_cde5fff39b.jpg

Brian

NewHampshire said:
Taken on the way to Carrigain on Monday. Thanks to that blessed thing called Image Stabilization I got this handheld despite not a whole lot of light and a small aperture. No cropping done, just my usual saturation, contrast, and highlights/shadows adjustment. Tell me what you think:

2024416951_cde5fff39b.jpg

Brian

Well, done. All around.

I like the placement of the stick and the rock in your photo, Brian. The icicles are interesting for sure. I also like the amount and variety of color. I thoroughly enjoyed the Gale River and it's unusual array of ice creatures on Sunday:

"Two Horned River Ice Monster"

The "Horta" from ST:TOS "The Devil In The Dark", or, the elusive Gale River rock-eating ice jellyfish.

Generic River shot

What collective wisdom is there about winter snow and / or ice shots? There is less color, and different reflectivity. My shots were taken in 100% cloud cover with flying flurries, so flat light. I think they capture what I saw.

Tim

bikehikeskifish said:
What collective wisdom is there about winter snow and / or ice shots? There is less color, and different reflectivity. My shots were taken in 100% cloud cover with flying flurries, so flat light. I think they capture what I saw.

Tim
I have some reading on this subject. Its a tough one too. Harsh light (meaning cloudless skies with bright sun) always tends to blow out the snow. You can compensate by exposing for the snow, but this will give you darker shadows, which is easy to deal with if you have photoshop. The other option is to go "old school" like Jim Salge does and use Graduated Neural Density filters and work with the scene as is so what photoshop work you do is very basic stuff. With a ponit-and-shoot this is a tough thing because the fliters require mounting, which is a problem for non SLR shooters. However, I have seen special Cokin holders designed for P&S cameras. Perhaps something to look into if you are thinking about this scenario seriously.

Overall, though, it looks like ya did good. Use diffused light to your advantage whenver possible. Even looks like you started getting some good feathering in your last shot of the river! Good Job!

Brian