Identify this Gizmo?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kath

Reaction score
While canoeing Mooselookmeguntic a couple of weeks ago, I spotted this "thing" hanging from a tree at one of the campsites. (The Chapel Site)
At first, I thought it was a wind chime that someone had left there. Upon closer inspection, I found that it was not. After scratching our heads and picking our brains for a while, my partner and I are completely stumped. I snapped a photo of it so that we could ask around and see if anyone could solve the mystery. So far, everyone else is just as befuddled as we are. If anyone could give me a clue, it would be great. Take a look. You can see my thumb at the bottom of the picture to give you an idea of the size of the object.

Thank goodness you found it!!!

Wow, I never thought I'd see my favorite pair of undies again. That was some hiking trip, let me tell you! Thanks for posting this. I'll PM you with my address and you can mail them to me. That is, unless you want to keep them for yourself. Hey...finders keepers, right? ;) :D

(I know, not helpful or informative...but it made you chuckle, right?)

Come on. That's just one of the sterling Silver necklaces that the local Moose population wear. Mystery solved!!

My guess

The pieces look like they came from some sort of disposable container or packaging that have been wired together. The holes may have been for ventilation. The fact it was found near water suggests that they may have to do with fishing. Part of a live bait container? Maybe the guy (shameless, presumptuous, male chavinistic assumption) who did this used it as a record of the times he had visited the site.

teejay

Kind of looks like a ladder for mice/squirrels/chipmunks...

Maybe it could make a really nice incense holder (the holes)

Jay

That's easy...

its an Acme Curiosity Amplifier!

See how well it works?!!! ;)

That is a tank track left from the great armoured tank battle between Rodent Rommel and "Squirrelly" Patton. Don't they teach history anymore?

I printed up a copy of the picture so I can take it around with me and ask folks.
Lots of nice creative answers. Hadn't thought it might be someones ...delicates... but thought I would start my search at Victoria's.
I may not find the answer, but..the lighting is better!

They look like a bunch of stirrup tread inserts that have been linked together in a chain. They're on the small side though and lack notches on each end. See how they compare to this photo:

treadinserts.gif

Hey, thanks guys! Man, you certainly are a clever bunch! I may never solve this one, but it has been entertaining. I'd like to think that someone put it there just to add their own whimsical, personal touch to the spot. Of course, I left my mark as well. As I was exploring the campsite, I found a metal table fork on the ground that someone had left behind. I attached the fork to the top section of the mystery "thing-a-ma-bob" loosely with a string, thinking that when the wind blows, (of course the wind NEVER blows on Mooselook) it might make a pleasing sound. Who knows, maybe some poor soul may really need the fork out there some day. Anyways, I hope that whatever it is is still there next year when I return, and will be there to pique the curiosity of fellow paddlers to come. ;)
Regards,
Kath

Mystery Item

Not that I have ANY fashion sense at all. However, I think that thing is a belt of some sort to hold up trousers.

Almost looks like a broken wind screen to go around the bottom of a camp stove.... maybe too many holes for that?

Toe Cozy...if thats your idea of "campsite comfort" we have to meet! ;) :D

Your all wrong..it's an attenna to hook up your Ham Radio to when signaling the helicopter from Pizza Hut where to drop your pie off at dinner time. :rolleyes: