If in March you don't succeed, Tri, Tri Again!! Tripyramids 1/04/09

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Great Pumpkin

Reaction score
We (Creaky Knees, Spaderman and moi) had originally planned to take a shot at the Big Rockpile on Sunday, but with the Obs Higher Summits report forecasting winds at 50 to 75 mph for midday (yeesh!), we set our sights somewhat lower, leeward, and sheltered. Spaderman needed Tripyramids for his Winter 48, and we had been forced to turn back on this pair by extraordinarily deep snow last March, so they became our "target of opportunity".

We were at the Pine Bend Brook Trail and ready to roll by about 7:45 a.m. There were no other cars on the Kanc as we set out in single digit temps, but thankfully no wind. We were very pleased to find a beautifully pounded out snowshoe track, thanks to Cindersmom, Teufelhund, and any other predecessors on the PBB Trail. What a great job they did - it enabled us to bareboot on well-consolidated snow up to and just beyond the Sandwich Range Wilderness boundary at 2.1 miles. We went to our crampons as the ravine of PBB began to steepen, and would certainly consider a traction device to be essential on this segment of the trail. They worked so well for us that we just kept 'em on as we worked our way up the "headwall" and the leftward traverse of this area. I could distinctly remember the area where I had elected to turn around last March, after we had expended so much effort in deep powder, and was greatly encouraged that today's hike would meet with better results.

We reached the subsidiary ridge below the Scaur Ridge, and then hit the junction of the Scaur Ridge Trail at 3.2 miles at just about 11:00 a.m. Some pleasant, relatively level hoofing followed, untl the final steep ascent of the North Tripyramid summit cone. We made the top just before 12:00 p.m., (No. 29 in Winter for Spaderman) and enjoyed our lunch in a patch of bright sunshine, with a limited view over to Middle and South Tripyramid. We also enjoyed some conversation with Glen S. of Hudson and Bruce of Manchester, who we had heard and seen behind us as we were ascending the ravine area. These gentlemen were working on the Trailwright's List, so they would not be joining us on our foray over to Middle Tri, since they have to ascend same on a separate hike. Best wishes to both on this quest!! A third fellow came in to the sunny summit area as well; sorry, I didn't get the name.

Spaderman & I were off to Middle Tri at appx. 12:30 p.m., and the same fine snowshoe track was still in evidence, albeit somewhat blown in by snow. Saw evidence of a campsite well off the trail in the area of the col between the two peaks, and what was left of Teufelhund's tracks at the Sabbaday Brook Trail intersection. Then it was the more moderate climb of Middle Tri, with a beautiful view from the rock outcrop just before the top: skiers visible on the slopes of Waterville Valley; the Osceolas in sharp relief; and most of the Franconia ridge easily visible as well. We were on the summit at about 1:15 p.m., with Steve claiming No. 30 in Winter. The wind, which had been nonexistent, seemed to be picking up just slightly, so it was pictures and departure.

On the way back to North Tri, we met a trio of college kids (I think) with a hardy little Siberian-type (?) dog (Choyo?), and we gave them the information that was available from the previous posting re. Sabbaday Brook Trail. We were back on North Tri by 2:00 p.m., so it was "all downhill from here". We were able to descend without going to snowshoes, and without postholing. Caught fine views of Carrigain and Washington on the descent, without any awkward tumbles (sorry Roy T.). Ditched the crampons after we were out of the ravine, with a pretty easy walk for the last 2 miles in the gathering gloom, accompanied by a glittering half moon to the South.

We were back at the car by 4:45 p.m., and saw what we figured was the college kids' Volvo, so we took a drive East on the Kanc to see if they were road-walking back to their car from the Sabbaday Brook Trailhead. Sure enough, they had just emerged from the trail, and we did our good deed for the day by giving the driver a ride back up the Kanc. Sorry, didn't get the names, but nice going on completing the PBB and Sabbaday "loop". Then we were off to Woodstock Station for chow & beverage. Try the meatloaf - a heart attack on a plate.....

There was a certain serendipity for me on this hike - it was almost 30 years ago that I got the Tripyramids for my first winter summits, with old friends Mike and Barry, and virtually no snow on the ground. It was great to accompany Spaderman to get a "two-fer" that he needed, including his
30th. Always good to meet other VFTTers like Glen and Bruce, and to swap stories. And it felt very good to get my first winter summits since Jefferson last January - even though they were "repeats" on my list. I was done in several times last season by weather, snow depths, and/or health problems, so there was some vindication for me in today's endeavor. Now if I can just get the weather, the calendar, and the stars to align to get the last six I need in Winter, I'll be able to finish my list in under 30 years!! No speed records for this kid.....

Nice Job!

Always good to hear about successful days...and always remember..."A good day is one that brings you to the edge and back - safely!" Nice job to Great Pumpkin, Creaky Knees and Spaderman.

Congrats Great Pumpkin and Spaderman. I believe that I bumped into you two in recovery mode at Woodstock Station after your earlier attempt of the Tri's last winter, muttering something about a super-snowshoer passing you by the name of Mike Foster, who went on to complete all 48 in one winter solo.

Hello Dr D: Yep, that's us. The estimable Mr. Foster cleaned our clocks twice last winter; on Tripyramids and on Isolation. It was great to have a clear, solid snowshoe track to follow this time, rather than struggling through deep snow. Best regards, and good luck to Bentley hockey!

All these years, I waited in the Pumpkin patch at midnight waiting for the Great Pumpkin to arrive. I never thought I would run into him on the summit of No. Tripyramid in the noon sun. Sometimes dreams do come true. :)

It was a pleasure meeting you and Spaderman. Hope to see you on the trails again.

Glenn

PS: There was no charge for the dazzling display of fancy snowshoe footwork.

Hi Glenn; sorry for the late reply. Your snowshoe footwork on the summit was most impressive - kick save, and a beauty, as we used to say in hockey! Good to have met you and Bruce, and best of luck on the Trailwright's list - that's a lot of hoofing. We hope to be out and about as much as possible this winter, so maybe our paths will cross again, perhaps whilst I'm carrying that big old orange Dana Astralplane "Great Pumpkin" pack! Regards, Rick.