If you build it, will them come ?. Katahdin Woods and Waters Headquarters

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is one impressive visitor center! Last year when we went to South Branch my wife and I were running ahead of schedule waiting for a friend so we stopped and checked out a few of the road side camping areas on the way to the North Gate. They were really nice. Big, well leveled tent platforms. Very clean outhouses. It looks like an area well worth exploring. Tough to go there though when you're so close to Baxter....

I'm planning to visit it when we go in mid-August. Actually, more interested in just checking out KWW Monument.

The Bangor news site is paywalled, though I can see an article or two for free. Here's another story about the center that is freely accessible:
https://thecounty.me/2024/04/26/bus...aters-31m-visitor-center-to-open-this-summer/

And if you wish to read more about it in detail from the organization funding it in part, see this. It's run by St Clair and Quimby (Burt's Bees money):
https://www.elliotsvillefoundation.org/tekakapimek-contact-station/project-details

Here's a video about some of the construction:

If you want to hear how to say the name of the place, it's in that video near the end, I think. And that channel posted another video with just the word:

I am resisting the temptation to connect those very obvious dots ;)

If you look at the location of Lookout Mountain, it has a very scenic view of the mountains and territory that are entirely contained inside Baxter State Park boundaries that are legally inaccessible from KWW. IMHO to use a dated comparison, the actual KWW lands are the playgrounds that were usually at the base of the screen at Drive in movies, while BSPs terrain is what is up on the main screen. It is great that the land is protected from development and in 40 or 50 years will have regrown to woods that resemble what they looked like four to five hundred years ago, but it has been my contention that the area inherently is not of national significance. It was a vanity project by a nouveau riche individual trying to buy social status getting her initial clues from a fringe organization that predominantly now exists as a website. As folks familiar with BSP know, the views from the BSP roads are slim to none and unless KWW elects to keep viewpoints open with active management by keeping areas clearcut, many of the views its known for are going to be harder to find. The East Branch will remain an artificially maintained "wild" waterway controlled by a concrete dam on a large artificial impoundment called Matagamon Lake.

... If you look at the location of Lookout Mountain, it has a very scenic view of the mountains and territory that are entirely contained inside Baxter State Park boundaries that are legally inaccessible from KWW. ...
Right. And as it says in their literature (such as the Elliotsville Foundation link above), "...Tekαkαpimək, Penobscot for “as far as one can see"...".

I am resisting the temptation to connect those very obvious dots ;)

It was a vanity project by a nouveau riche individual trying to buy social status getting her initial clues from a fringe organization that predominantly now exists as a website.
Didn't she cheat Burt out of his company?