If you could hike with a historical figure who would it be?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

summitseeker

Reaction score
If you could hike with a figure from history who would it be?

A friend of mine and I were discussing this during the holidays and it turned into a pretty interesting and humorous discussion.

I initially thought it would be Buddha, but then I wondered if we would actually make it to the summit or if he would say, "You're desire to reach the summit is causing your suffering" and we would bag it. ;)

I'm still on the fence about who it would be, but I am leaning towards Henry David Thoreau. A multi-faceted character with a pretty interesting beard and view of the world.

Z :D

Last edited:
All sorts of historical figures who would be fun to meet and talk with (or listen to) but the question of who would be at their best in the circumstance of a strenuous walk definitely narrows the field some. I don't know, maybe Nietzsche?

If you could hike with a figure from history who would it be?

A friend of mine and I were discussing this during the holidays and it turned into a pretty interesting and humorous discussion.

I initially thought it would be Buddha, but then I wondered if we would actually make it to the summit or if he would say, "You're desire to reach the summit is causing your suffering" and we would bag it. ;)

I'm still on the fence about who it would be, but I am leaning towards Henry David Thoreau. A multi-faceted character with a pretty interesting beard and view of the world.

First, everything you post I now read with Yukon Cornealius's voice, so thank you.

Second, I find this impossible to whittle down the list. I guess from a purely hiking standpoint it would be cool to hike with someone who looked at it from a really unique perspective. Maybe John Muir or Teddy Roosevelt?

Last edited:
Muir is a good choice. I like his spirit and going light. Not sure if he was too much a loner.

I think Colin Fletcher would be way too British.

Then there was that Partridge guy Alden? he could really crank out the milage - a death march that his students enjoyed?

I think Bob Marshall would be cool but too OCD. I think I would revert to Herb Clark. He would have been adventurous and supportive

Then there was Shackleton. When a man leads the endurance expedition with all its difficulty only to get the praise of the team. And plans a follow up and many from the last trip re-up! .... You know he would have been cool to hike with. Plus I love and appreciate that one story that lead to the line: "looks like it's a long haul for the old dogs one more time" or something like that. I can imagine being by his side and wanting to go on. classic.

I like the idea of hiking with Shackleton. Maybe a Hut to Hut, in the winter, during a blizzard! 'Fortitudine Vincimus'

-Chris

I think it depends on a few details about the hike. Which peak(s) are we hiking? Thoreau was mentioned and I think he would be great to hike with on Monadnock. He spent lots of time there and had an admiration for the mountain. Other notables had the same feelings for other mountains. Also, are we hiking in the current day or back when they were alive? If back when they were alive instead of today, it would be fun to hike with many of the people who developed a number of the early trails up the mountains we now love so much. If hiking today, it would be interesting to see some people's opinions about how things have changed.

I think it depends on a few details about the hike. Which peak(s) are we hiking? Thoreau was mentioned and I think he would be great to hike with on Monadnock. He spent lots of time there and had an admiration for the mountain. Other notables had the same feelings for other mountains. Also, are we hiking in the current day or back when they were alive? If back when they were alive instead of today, it would be fun to hike with many of the people who developed a number of the early trails up the mountains we now love so much. If hiking today, it would be interesting to see some people's opinions about how things have changed.

Didn't Thoreau also spend some time on the alpine garden of Mt. Washington playing botanist?

I'm going with Bill Clinton. Post Bush and Obama I NOW appreciate the man for much more than his choice of "toys." Besides the obvious, he'd bring along some lovely ladies, I'd like to ask a lot of questions and see just how he was able to stimulate the left of his party while becoming more centrist in a lot of his policies. I wan't to know if it was he or mainly his cabinet that were the think tank.....sooo many questions. And I doubt any of the above mentioned people will party like we would at the summit! :)

I like the Shackleton idea. Also Bob Marshall (explorer & writer), Abel Crawford (trailblazer/inkeeper), Darby Field (explorer), Tenzing Norgay (haul my gear), Moses (for the tough water crossings).

For starters I think it would be interesting to hike with all of the above mentioned guys' mothers. :rolleyes:

Abigail Adams, Amelia Earhart, and Cleopatra would kick*ss. Lucille Ball would be a scream! :D

First, everything you post I now read with Yukon Cornealius's voice, so thank you.

Second, I find this impossible to whittle down the list. I guess from a purely hiking standpoint it would be cool to hike with someone who looked at it from a really unique perspective. Maybe John Muir or Teddy Roosevelt?

I am glad you like the new avatar. Yukon C adds a degree of humor to everything I post so there is less of a chance of being offensive to others. ;)

Good choices. I was torn between Muir and JFK. Good Old Teddy is a great pick.

Be well,