Imp Shelter

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jasonst

Reaction score
Question for those familiar with the Imp Shelter. I have been on that ridge before but never wandered down to check out the shelter. It appears that there is a stream near the shelter, but is it reliable? I am guessing if it EVER runs, it will be in April after several days of rain. Any information would be helpful.

There is a pool in the stream path that has reliable water. Even when the inflow is just a trickle, I've always found good water there.

Two pics from 6/22/03, one showing the pool:
http://timefortuckerman.com/photopost/data/500/209image005-med.jpg
http://timefortuckerman.com/photopost/data/500/209image003-med.jpg

Must be something when it's really running.

I remember that not too far higher, that same water course intersects the trail. Water could be obtained there in a pinch, as it's a mossy/muddy area.

Reason #1 why not to desecrate water resources while hiking: there's always something downstream.

Thanks guys. I would have a hard time believing that there would be a long time shelter on the AT that didn't have a reliable water source.

Hi Jasonst,
We stayed at the Imp site last September. No problems with the stream but there really aren't any good size pools, just a rock outcrop to the stream and we pumped from there, but it is a good flow.
Hope this helps,
Bill

Jasonst said:
I would have a hard time believing that there would be a long time shelter on the AT that didn't have a reliable water source.
I do believe - there are some.

I was there a few years ago on a hot August night and there was just a trickle, but enough to satisfy a campsite full of people. I think the water at Zeta Pass had dried up and the Carter Lakes were very low that day.

I visited the Imp Shelter in Sept. of 2002- I came down to have a look, but pushed on. It was a very dry summer and it had nor rained recently, the spring, a short distance behind the shelter was a very slow seep/drip, about 2 litres/hour.

The shelter was lovely, with it's weathered silver/grey logs and views out over the valley. I recall a sleeping loft and a chair built into the structure of the leanto.

Jasonst said:
Thanks guys. I would have a hard time believing that there would be a long time shelter on the AT that didn't have a reliable water source.

The one near Bemis is bone dry in a dry year (like 2 years ago when my kids and I stayed there). Closest reliable sources are a couple hours away. I understand that most year's it's ok, though. As I sit here looking at the rain coming down on Portland Harbor, I don't think there'd be a problem today!

For those interested, I stopped into the Imp shelter over the weekend and the brook was raging pretty good. I am guessing that this isn't spring fed since the water was ginger ale color... The shelter had a blowdown on it which I attempted to remove with a small saw but this tree needs something bigger! Nice shelter with a real nice view!