In need of therapy? Try Isolation

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobby

Reaction score
Things used to be so easy. Get in the car, drive to the mountains, hike, then go home. Somewhere along the way, I got a real job, got married and had four children. Now, everything has to be planned. Life does have a way of getting in the way. Not a complaint, mind you, just an observation.

Work has been busy lately, with a few of my days off cancelled for various reasons. Home has been nuts, with three of the kids to get ready for school. I really needed some time to myself, and things looked good for yesterday, so I started planning. I got clearance from "the Boss," and then looked at my remaining 4K's. It hasn't rained in several days, and looking on-line showed that most of the rivers and streams were running at acceptable levels. I decided on Isolation.

I was on the road by 3:45 AM with a full tank of gas and a large cup of coffee. The ride went well until the dreaded Rte. 16. At different times, I was stuck behind people who didn't appear to be in any hurry to get where they were going. My guess is that they were going to work :) .

I pulled into the Rocky Branch trailhead about 6:10. As I geared up, I noticed my camera wasn't on my pack strap. It wasn't in the car either. A call home, and the camera was on the kitchen table, right where I left it :mad: . Oh well, time to get going. I began to hike up the Rocky Branch trail.

There was nothing remarkable about the Rocky Branch Trail. Just some mud. I slipped of a bog bridge at one point, dragging my shin down the bridge and using my hands to break my fall, I went elbow deep into the mud. I kept going, and about ten minutes later found a small stream where I could wash off. No lasting damage, but a nice gouge about six inches long on my shin. Mud and blood, gotta love it :D. I reached the Wilderness boundary, and about 50 yards in I almost stepped in a huge pile of moose dropping. I guess this was Bullwinkle's way of saying "welcome."

I'm not usually a fast hiker, but I think there was some pent up frustration. I just put my head down and moved up the trail. There was some surprise when I reached the first crossing of the Rocky Branch just over two hours.

The first Rocky Branch crossing was pretty easy, and I got across "boots dry." At the second crossing, I ran into a thru-hiker, Chipmunk. He dropped down from the Crawford Path on Wednesday and was on his way out, hoping to get to Gorham by the end of his day.

Despite what the White Mountain Guide said, I found the Isolation Trail easy to follow. The foot way is very clear to see. There are a few places where some brush could be cut back, but it's Wilderness, so that may not happen. I found this to be a beautiful area. It was very peaceful and quiet, something I'm not at all used to.

Onward and upward to the Davis Path, then onto Isolation. The Davis Path was in great shape, one blowdown to go under and more mud to go around. I was very alert here, not wanting to miss the Isolation spur. I found that there was a large sign at the spur, very hard to miss. I ascended the spur path and broke out into the open to some awesome views. I poked around the summit a bit, then had lunch. I brought along a Chicken Fajita and Rice MRE (meal - ready to eat). It wasn't bad. After about forty minutes, I started down. I ran into one other hiker on his way up, about 5 minutes after I left the summit. He was on his way up, having made it from the parking lot in about 3 hours.

The hike down was uneventful. With about a mile and a half to go, I sensed my mood changing. I wasn't thinking about what had been bothering me, rather about what was good in my life. My wife is great about my hiking, and I love watching the kids, ages 16, 12, 8 and sixteen months as they grow. Work will always infringe on my home life, it's the nature of the business I chose. I enjoy what I do, despite the risks. What keeps me sane are the loved ones around me.

I reached the parking lot a little after 2PM, for a trip time of 7:50, not bad for a slow guy. On the ride home, I switched from solo hiker guy to dad of four. If I could get home early enough, I would be able to take my son to his Tae Kwon Do class. I did, and I did. I even managed a shower before we left.

Last edited:
Nice job on the hike and the T/R. Sorry I couldn't make it on this hike. Isolation, like Owl's Head, isn't popular with some folks but I really enjoy the hike. Except for a little mud and blood I'll bet you have only good memories from the day.

Too bad about the camera. I guess you'll have to go back. :)

By the way... Your avatar - that's a really good picture! :rolleyes:

Good job! We'll be up there next weekend so it's good to hear the trail's in decent shape. Of course, who knows what Hanna will do to it...

Really nice TR Bobby. I had a vacation that left me in somewhat of a similar frame of mind--happy to be me. Nice that it happened for you after one hike.

Methinks I need to hike solo more often. :)

Nice report Bobby. Hiking solo has a way of clearing my head as well, although I also like hiking with all the great people I've met from VFTT. Last week I did a solo loop through the Great Gulf from Pinkham. I got lazy and didn't post a report though. I did have lots of time to reflect on that hike!

Last edited:
Nice report on such a misunderstood mountain..

While I find some who shudder at the thought of hiking solo I do understand the attraction and feel the need at times...No better way to clear the mind and to provide clearer perspective on life..

OTHH had a couple of hikers up there via Glen Boulder .. Sleeveless, Native Lady, and Sharon..who was finishing her 4th go round..I guess they must have been a bit behind you..

Excellent choice!

Great TR, Bobby! Isolation is one of my favorites. Your time was excellent. It's over 14 miles round trip. I'm so glad you enjoyed it. I've loved Isolation every time I've been there, and I plan on going back soon for all the reasons you stated. It's great therapy! I'm glad you got a chance to enjoy it! The trails are relatively easy despite the distance and the view of the presidentials from Isolation is unique and wonderful! I NEED to go back there. Thanks for the TR! :)

Fun trip report to a favorite peak. I think that it is difficult not to see anyone on a NH4 these days, except for a few off-season week days. Good call for a Friday hike. :)

Some people go to therapy - some of us hike - it has the same effect. Clears the mind, stress relief, get out of a society for a little while anyways.

Nice job - I may have to work on going faster or you will be soloing all the time!

Nice pictures - :(

Nice TR Bobby! Isolation to me was a wealth of solitude at a very busy time. I purposely left at the end of the day on the 4th of July from Pinkham via Glen Boulder. This way I avoided the heat of the day but also selfishly had it to myself for the night. I spent a long time on the summit during sunset before heading down to camp at Rocky Branch #2. The nice gradual hike down along Rocky Branch in the night gave me alot of rewarding time to sink deep into my thoughts and truly relax. A shorter more arduous hike with friends along is fun but can never be quite as therapeutic. I'm thankful that this mountain is among the NH48 and located where patience is required to enjoy its reward. It's possible that you were meant to leave the camera behind this time and enjoy it more deeply firsthand. Look forward to your pics when you revisit! ;) Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Nice TR, Bobby! I had a similar experience with Isolation -- solo hiked it, reveled in the solitude and hiked faster than I normally do, that's how much of a rhythm I got into.

Glad you were able to get out _ and still make it home in time to do the Dad thing!

I enjoyed Hiking Isolation, we took the Glen Boulder trail and then went "down" to isolations summit, and then headed out on Rocky Branch. It was a fun day! Good TR!

You survived your fall and at least you didn't have to hike out in one boot, LOL! :p

Last edited: