in praise of rubber boots...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spider solo

Reaction score
This year we've had a wet spring and certainly a wet fall and a big snow to put in the mix.
Since I've been experimenting with different light weight footwear. I found I could put my Keene sandles inside a pair of rubber boots and go sloshing through any trail/stream combo that we've got so much of.
That was great for a waterfall hike last week.
Yesterday, thinking I might have a chance to be doing Falling Waters trail and knowing it would be plenty wet over there, I opted to put rubber boots over my lighter winter hiking boots.
It worked great...I needed to be sure my crampons fit over them as I was bringing them along as well as a pair of snowshoes.
Climbed Lafayette with that combo and it kept my feet warm and cozy and didn't have to go to the big winter double boot.
I've noticed we are often wondering what the right boot is especially with these transition conditions.
I think, for the most part, we can just take our favorite hiking foot wear throw them in a pair of rubber boots for $20 or $30 and viola you just saved a ton of money.
I'm talking about those kind of rubber boots that are real stretchy and roll up next to nothing. (i think Tingley makes them)

Anybody else notice this or have tried similar ideas??

Last edited:
Yes, you would think so ,but I'm going for a softer surface more "mushier" if there is such a word. The snow now is ideal.
Just like mukluks are for below freezing temps this would just be the equivalent of warm weather mukluks only using the footwear of you choice.
In old days the northern peoples used seal skin for the spring and wet conditons only it didn't stay pliable.
A rubber boot just mimics that but is flexible /stretchy and has great traction. Kind of like the soles of a climbers shoe.
If you do poke a hole through them theres always rubber cement.... you can patch them just like a bicycle tube...but they are surprisingly durable.
Work overboots like you see at the grain stores and places like that.

One sloppy, slushy early-snow day last fall I experimented with wearing regular old rubber galoshes over my three-season boots. It worked pretty good and didn't add any noticeable weight. That was a hike that didn't involve a great deal of climbing.

Matt

Spider,

I have used overboots before in the winter and found them to work quite well. TomH (from this forum) turned me on to the idea. Although they do not offer any significant insulation, my feet have felt warmer when I use them over my Vasque Arctics. I've never used crampons with them, but I would think that the crampon posts would have the potential to rip the boots. Perhaps not immediately, but I do think there would be wear and tear. I sized them to fit snug over my boots, and had no issues with slippage inside the boot, and they worked great with snowshoes. However, when barebooting, I found it difficult to keep up with some of the faster hikers in my group because of the lack of traction on the rubber overboots.

For those that don't have plastic boots, the overboots are a great solution for winter overnights because they will keep your boots dry, providing you use a vapor barrier. No more wrestling with frozen boots in the morning and no need to sleep with your boots inside your sleeping bag.

A great suggestion from TomH was to put a plastic grocery bag (the krinkly kind) on over my boots first, then put on the overboot. This makes it really easy to get the overboots on and off.

John

Johnnycakes said:
I think they are made by Tingley. They're the kind you can buy at Agway for around $20-25. Thin, stretchy rubber boots.

When I first started winter hiking I used rubber boots with thick felt liners. They keep you warm, but your feet move around too much for my taste. If you strap them to snowshoes, it might work ok...

A problem with a rubber overboot is moisture (sweat) accumulation in the inner boot. K-boots (syn: Korean boots, mouse boots) solve this by a sealed rubber inner, dry felt, rubber outer. One way to to this with regular boots would be VBL, regular boot, rubber outer.

Doug

My mother and my sister both climbed the NH 4000-footers in winter wearing 4-buckle galoshes over leather work boots for most hikes. This is great for walking in sloppy snow (that's what galoshes are for!) and for use with snowshoes, less good for extreme cold. At that time it was hard to buy genuine winter boots in the equivalent of mens size 4, I notice my sister now uses plastic boots for more difficult trips.