In search of statistics - Adirondack High Peaks

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ADK Rick

Reaction score
Avon Connecticut Avatar: #46! Haystack summit
Does anyone know of a source of hiker/camper usage statistics for the High Peaks? I am particularily interested if there is a published figure on how many overnight campers there are per year in the ADK High Peaks Eastern Regions.

Thanks!
ADK Rick

Some older numbers available

Bubba, thanks. I did check there. All I found was some older numbers in the High Peaks UMP (Unit Management Plan). The most recent figures are from 1998.

Estimated total High Peaks visitors in 1998 = 140,000. This includes trailheads that don't serve the Eastern Region. An eyeball of the chart does show that the vast majority are in the Eastern Region. They also acknowledge that the number is probably higher, since this is based on registrations.

So far as the split between dayhikers and campers go, they say only that "Day users are the overwhelming majority."

Does anyone know of any more recent figures, or ones that give a better idea of actual overnights?

Thanks!
ADK Rick

You might contact DEC by phone or e-mail and see if they have anything more recent than the 1998 figures on the site. In the new edition of the McMartin HP guide, she mentions that in '88 there were 50,000 visitors and that in 2001, there were "nearly triple" that many. So she must be getting numbers from somewhere. I can't think of any organization other than DEC that might have the resources to keep these types of records. Perhaps ADK would have some info-they could at least help w/ stats for the Heart Lake/Loj trailhead/parking area. Also the Town of Keene might have numbers for the Garden parking area. Best of luck in searching.

Matt

Hey Rick,

Keep drilling, because you're going to hit a nerve. The powers in Albany don't know crap about how many users there are. As I pointed out on an earlier thread, the "permit box" at the Roostercomb trailhead hasn't been emptied in so long that you can no longer force a permit through the slot. These guys have been screaming about "overuse," but they don't have any current data to support their statements. That's without even getting into the discussion of what "overuse" really is...

Okay, let's go a different direction... see if you can work with THE ADIRONDACK EXPLORER - I'm sure they have information or can direct you further.

Phil Brown is the editor and frequent reader/contributor to this site. See his Member Name = Explorer Editor or contact him at the paper:

www.adirondackexplorer.org

Also, thinking about this a bit more -- the DEC is not the only entity in the HP area. You should also try to get some information from ATIS (Adirondack Trail Inprovement Society - if I have that right) who take care of trails in the Mountain Reserve property. Author and occasional VFTT contributor, Tony Goodwin, would be a wonderful resourse. Amoung other things, he's associated with ATIS.

One would also wonder what kind of resource ADK (the mountain club) might be.

Be sure to let us know the results a/o your progress.