Indian Head/Twin Mts. Hike 7-7-07

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Edelweiss

Reaction score
It looks like the trail report falls to me this time, so ........

Dick, Alan, and I took what proved to be a shorter route from Albany area and managed to arrive a few minutes before 8:30 a.m at the Roaring Kill Trailhead. Rob pulled in a seconds later, having left home in New Jersey very early that morning. We left Rob's car at Roaring Kill and drove my car up the roller coaster that is Plattekill to a parking area. Although a bit humid, our 6.8 mile walk was delightful - temps in the high 70's - gentle winds - varied terrain. Rob's choice of route was excellent. The hike begins on a nature trail, complete with plaques detailing info. about trees, plants, history of the area etc. We passed a small bluestone quarry. Some creative people had made several stone chairs - a nice place to pause for a few moments. The path we followed is part of the Long Trail and joins up with the Devil's Path. As we headed up towards Indian Head, our first peak, we encountered rock scrambles interspersed with gentle, wooded flats - cushy pine needles under foot and the aroma of balsam. Dick handled the sometimes challenging cliff ascents gingerly but successfully - he is determined that his hand surgery won't interrupt his hiking. Bookah, our amazing canine companion, needed some assistance but, because she trusts her "father," allowed Alan to hoist her up (and later down) some otherwise impossible boulders. We took several "ledge breaks" so I could take pictures. I brought along my new Rebel for these ledge and summit shots but continued to take snapshots to document the hike with my smaller Nikon Coolpix 4300. There were no views on the top of Indian Head Mt. but we did stop on a ledge shortly before the treed summit. We met three young people from north of NYC who were doing a multi-day backpack. We were taken aback by the weight of their packs - 60#, yikes . One of the three had hiked and backpacked before, but the other two were novices. I hope this first experience doesn't discourage them from getting into the woods again! Our lunch stop was the col between IH and the two Twins. We met a boy and his mother at the col. They had left the third member of their party (dad/husband) who had developed a leg cramp, to hike back out alone while mother and son hiked up Twin. We resumed our climb to the first Twin and reached the true second Twin summit a short time later. More hazy shots of the Hudson River, Ashokan Reservoir, Sugarloaf Mt. and (we think) Peekamoose and Table Mts. Our trip back down was slow partially due to Dick's hand, assistance for Bookah and the general steepness of the rocky trail. We paused to take pics and enjoy the views from a giant bluestone quarry complete with stone chairs near the Roaring Kill TH parking lot. This is a worthwhile destination for anyone who wants a short jaunt in the woods. That was in fact the case for a young family we met on the trail as we headed back to the TH. Rob surprised us with iced tea/Mountain Dew softdrinks when we reached the car. Thanks guys, for a fun day!!

http://www.kodakgallery.com/Slideshow.jsp?mode=fromshare&Uc=tdpb2qu.bbtk0skm&Uy=-apmtmn&Ux=0

Last edited:
Great report, Joanne. It was a lot of fun hiking with all you comedians again. Can't wait to do it again ...... :D

My pics are here.

Joanne, I'm getting an error with you Kodak gallery link, it says "page is not available"... anybody else?

Jay

This seems to work for me! I snatched that from AHP.com :)

BTW, that shot of all of you on the high bluestone throne on the way to Roaring Kill through Dibble's Quarry was used in my Devil's Path dayhike to benefit TBS.. If you remember, it was a picture of my friend Warren sitting on that throne looking out...

Jay

Last edited:
:cool: A fun report and photo albums. I am also a fan of starting those two mountains from Platte Clove. It is more interesting than Prediger Road.

That beaver pond on the Pecoy Notch trail looks higher than last year. Those enterprising engineers have been busy. Kind of looks like Bookah was applying for a position on the dam construction and maintenance crew.

Glenn, The Long Path trailhead (going south) is located here. It just east of a bridge over the Plattekill. There is room for about 5 vehicles to park along the south side of the road. There is an off road parking lot about a quarter mile east, at the start of the Long Path going north. It is up a short gravel road here.

The Catskill Center for Conservation and Development operates the Preserve. They have a virtual hike which describes the two Preserve trails.

Once you reach the Devil's Path you can do a loop hike of Indian Head using the Devils Path and the Jimmy Dolan trail, with an out and back to the two Twin summits on the Devil's Path.

After the hike to the summits, a nice cool off is the short hike down to Plattekill Falls on the Preserve's blue trail. It starts down the driveway of the Preserve's artist in residence cabin (bright red).

Last edited:
Mark Schaefer said:
Glenn, The Long Path trailhead (going south) is located here. It just east of a bridge over the Plattekill. There is room for about 5 vehicles to park along the south side of the road. There is an off road parking lot about a quarter mile east, at the start of the Long Path going north. It is up a short gravel road here.

The Catskill Center for Conservation and Development operates the Preserve. They have a virtual hike which describes the two Preserve trails.

Mark is correct about the parking area. Although it is not marked, (save for small Preserve signs on one of the trees by the road), it is obvious if you are looking for it. If you check out Joanne's pictures, you can see Dick and I at the parking area, and there is even a photo of the Preserve sign!

Driving eastbound, you can even see the bridge from the road. Having hiked from both ways, the Long Path thru the Preserve is by far the better, and more interesting route, IMHO.