Indian Pass 8/2/09

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhihn

Reaction score
We all know what incredibly wonderful weather we’ve been having in the Adirondacks, and apparently will continue to have over the next few days. It makes almost any hike pleasant. Even in less than ideal weather, a thruhike through Indian Pass is always enjoyable. Snickers, Beth, Edelweiss, and I had such a day yesterday. It’s always a pleasure to hike with Snickers, and we enjoyed meeting Beth for the first time and hiking with her. It had been several years since we did a thruhike through the pass, and while the schematic of the hike was etched in my mind, I had forgotten how impressive the hike is. The trail to the pass was somewhat muddy in spots, as it usually is, but nothing too terrible.

In the Adirondacks it’s not uncommon to run into people you know, and today was no exception. While taking a rest at Wallface leanto, who should come strolling down the trail but Joe Cedar! We had a nice chat, and Joe was off to do his loop back to the Loj.

We did miss the first stream crossing briefly, having been enticed by cairns that soon appeared to lead us astray. As we negotiated the ladders a woman named Barbara came up from behind. We chatted a bit, and Edelweiss was delighted to find another shutterbug to talk to! So our group was now five, as Barbara decided to join us to the Loj rather than return to Tahawus.

We spent considerable time lounging at Summit Rock for lunch. The house-sized boulders in the pass continue to impress us, as do the crevasses. Several of these never see much sun, and still had a little snow in it! The first mile of descent slowed us up due to the slippery boulders and roots. Getting stung by a bee didn’t help matters either. We enjoyed a brief detour to Rocky Falls a couple of miles before the end. The last time we did this hike, our companion informed us as we entered the Loj lot that he had left his car keys in the other car! No such misadventure this time. We enjoyed a nice chat in the car back to Tahawus.