Info on Portland, Oregon and Mt Hood area?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peakbagr

Reaction score
A friend will be heading out to Oregon area next month, and wants to mix some hiking and sightseeing in with a social obligation.

Anyone here familiar with some good things to do in the Portland, OR area? Restaurants, zoo, museums, easy hikes around town? Any must-visits?

They also want to get over to the ocean. Recommended areas to see and hike?

Given their week out there, they'd also like to head inland for some hiking, maybe around Mt Hood. Its been years since I've been to the Hood area. Is the trail around it still in good shape with numerous access points?

Any recommended places within 3 hours of Portland where 3k to 4k of elevation gain and 8-10 miles of r/t hiking could get them up something really nice with a great view?
I was thinking South Sister, but thats probably a long haul of a drive with all the other things they have in mind and the 1 week in Oregon.

Thanks,

Alan

My son lived there for a few years, and when I'd visit him it was fun to walk thru their rose park - outstanding display of a wide variety of roses. From that park you can take a narrow gauge, open car railroad thru some very steep, wooded terrain over to their zoo. Makes for a very enjoyable day. And, don't overlook perhaps the best bookstore anywhere - Powell's. It's an amazing place.

Hopefully Jess will see this thread and chime in here, but in the meantime - there are lots of state parks along the Columbia heading east from Portland - must see places with big trees and stunning waterfalls.

The Mt St Helens visitor center isn't too far north into Washington state. Climbing Mt St Helens is an option as well, but they need permits. Links to those pages can be found by doing a search here.

Last edited:
I think I might of spoken to your friend already, if we're talking about the same friend here.

the columbia river gorge is not too far from Mt Hood and there are some really fabulous trails that go around the base of Mt Hood, I remember seeing lots of wildflowers and nice views south off the base of the ski lodge there. Before we climbed Mt Hood, we took a nice stroll along the PCT there and it was very nice, very hot (not too much shade in places) but a nice thing to do and checking out the lodge is always a good touristy thing to do. (or even go skiing!).

We didn't spend much time in Downtown Portland, it was pretty much drive to REI and then hightail it out of rush hour (we got there around 5pm). There is a pretty interesting gas station next to REI that I got gas at though, it's a taxi garage but they seem to be open to the public for gas and like NJ, no self serve in Oregon so I was surprised when the attendent walked up to my window. I get so used to self service outside NJ, it kind of surprised me.

Jay

The coast south of the Columbia's mouth is spectacular. Alternating bluffs and beaches, including an amazing black beach made of smooth round stones that fit in the palm of your hand.

That whole area from portland to hood river is nice. (1.5 hour drive??) lots to do.

As jayH said, there is great hiking around mt hood and once you get away from the lodge, it gets much more "less populated". From the little time I spent on the "trails" they appeared to be in great shape, very easily followed, etc...

I think the sisters would be doable for a day trip from portland. 3 hour drive maybe? I could be wrong though -

Mt Jefferson is around there as well. All these peaks have hiking around them. They are technical above a certain point, but plenty to do down low on them.

If they go further south (maybe 4 hour drive??) there are mt bachelor and mt mcgloughlin that are non technical hikes to the top. Pretty sure they are non-tech.

no shortage of things to do - thats for sure.

http://www.summitpost.org/mountain/rock/150504/mount-mcloughlin.html

http://www.summitpost.org/mountain/rock/150472/mount-bachelor.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Hikes, food, etc

For hikes, i'd recommend the Triple Falls Trail and the Eagle Creek Trail in the Columbia River Gorge. Both are within an hour of downtown, and both have multiple waterfalls and views, so turnaround time can be flexible. Between those and the Timberline Trail around Hood, and there's no need to do more driving south, unless they want to. The coast i don't know nearly as well.

For restaraunts, in downtown Brasserie (not too expensive) and Higgin's (more expensive) were my faves when i lived there. On the east side, India Grill on Burnside, Than Thao on Hawthorne, Tennessee Red's for bbque, and Montage (late night) under the Morrison Bridge. I guess i did more eating than hiking when i was there.

For sights, Washington Park with the rose and Japanese gardens is great. They can do a brewery tour near downtown at the Weinhardt brewery, and near there is Powell's books. The Science museum is pretty famous.

Maybe i'll run into them...i'll be visiting next month to, to hike and see some old friends. Hey, any chance i can hitch a ride from town towards Mt. Hood? :D I'll need one on 8/6!

Ditto what everyone else said, and I would second the Eagle Creek Trail suggestion by markv. Six miles up this trail is Tunnel Falls, a truly awesome place, where the trail builders blasted a tunnel behind the waterfall, such that one walks under/behind the falls. Three or four spots on the trail leading up to this point have been blasted out of the side of the canyon wall--those with acrophobia probably won't like those sections.

The only other hike in the area with which I have experience is Dog Mountain, which is on the Washington side of the Columbia River Gorge, I'd say about an hour from Portland. It is rather heavily traveled on weekends but is a beautiful mountain. The loop is about 7.5 miles.

Info here: http://www.localhikes.com/Hikes/Dog_Mountain_0000.asp

Everyone's got some great suggestions. I'd also add the Oregon Dunes, if they really want to see the coast and have the time to drive down there. It's an amazing place. But any drive along the coastal highway 101 is really fun, with lots of lighthouses, tidepools, and dramatic bluffs to explore. There's tons of beach access, you can pretty much just pull over and scramble down to the beach and have it to yourself.

As for hikes in the area, be aware that there's still a great deal of trail and road damage from the floods we had here in November. The Timberline trail that runs around Mt. Hood may be irreparably damaged near the Elliot Glacier. Be sure to check local trail and Forest Service road conditions if going near Mt. Hood or anywhere in Southern Washington. A great guide book for hiking is William Sullivan's 100 hikes.

The Gorge, as everyone has mentioned, is really close and there's lots to do. The trails here are all in good shape as far as I know. I'd recommend a drive along the Old Columbia River Highway. It parallels route 84 and offers a tremendous scenic route that winds through the Gorge--great views, lots of trailheads and places to stop. I took my parents for a drive and lots of mini hikes here when they came to visit. We also stopped at the Bonneville Dam and Fish Hatchery, which both have interpretive centers and are free.

In the city, don't miss: Rose Garden, the waterfront, Forest Park, Powell's, any of the beer theaters, a stroll down Belmont or Hawthorne in SE, OMSI (Body Worlds Exhibit and IMAX--if they're still playing the one about the Eiger, see it!).

Search for any of these places on my website and you're sure to find photos and a blog from when I was there. Feel free to PM me for more info too.

Your friend is sure to love it here :)

Thank's for all the info.everyone. We had a great time in Oregon!We did not have time to see everything we wanted to,but we did hike in the Gorge,took a 4 hr. walk along Cannon beach,walked up to the Japanese Gardens and the zoo from our hotel.We also took a long walk along the waterfront,and hit the OMSI along the way.We also attended Teddy and Anns wedding ,which was a great event.He is a member on this site known as Cave Dog.We will be back to do some hiking soon. Mirror Lake looks nice.On our way back we flew over some serious forest fires.We also went to many micro breweries,and restaurants.

Last edited:
Cool, glad you had a great trip and congrats to Cave Dog and Ann who I've never met. Talk to you later Hermit, I've got some winter hiking plans in the Catskills I'd think you'd be interested in...

Jay