input on boots

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shadowcat

Reaction score
I have 2 pr of boots and have to decide which to keep. Of course the biggest problem with hiking boots is you never know if you've made the right decision until you really get out there and wear them hiking - after which it's usually too late to return them. The 2 I'm debating are: Merrell Grand Traverse II & the Scarpa Delta M3. They both look the same except the Merrell has a 1/2 steel shank and if I understand the specs on the Scarpa it has a flexible shank. I really need a pair I can hike in all day over all the rocks and stuff in the Daks. Not for backpacking although I will of course carry a day pack. I'm concerned the steel shank will be too stiff when I'm climbing up some of the big rocks like on top of Wright, etc. where you need to be able to flex your toes & the ball of your foot more. You'd have to know how many prs of boots I've bought & returned trying to find a pair I can hike in to understand my frustration and indecisiveness right now. Sooooo any input will really -- really be appreciated.

You have a tough choice...

Back in '95 I drove 6 hours to Campmor (and 6 hours back) to spend a day doing nothing but wearing hiking boots around the store and driving the sales folks nuts - I couldn't find anything in Rochester.

I was looking for something to replace my well worn Danner Mountain Lights. I needed them for long backpacking trips as well finishing my 46. The boots I ended up with were not the ones I liked - In fact, They were the ones that I liked the least, but everytime I put them on I thought "Aaah these feel great". These boots were Merrell Ridgelines.

I finished my 46 with them and did numerous backpack trips in the 90's with them. I grew to adore these boots. In fact in '97 I ordered another pair ($210) just to put in my closet and have on hand in case Merrell Stopped making them (they did end production that year) I now wish I had stockpiled 2 pair!!!

The Grand Traverses may have replaced the Ridglines. What I thought I wouldn't like about the boots was that the sole was so stiff and non-bending, whereas the Danners flexed greatly. What I realized I was missing was a boot that has a sole that stuck like glue (Vibram Klusaz) and allowed me to walk on the sharpest toughest rocks and left me feet always feeling like I was on a sturdy well-balanced platform rather than in a boot with a sole that flexed and did not distribute my weight. I completed my 46 in these boots and have hiked probably another 25 peaks with them and have never ever regretted my decision to have a good solid heavyweight boot.

I now do a lot of dayhiking on the AT (2-300 miles/year) and wear only New Balance 804 trail sneakers, but for backpacking and climbing peaks, I always go back to my heavy duty ridgelines and that solid wonderful feel of a stiff sole.

Hope this helps...

Last edited:
want my glaciers?

i hope i don't get into trouble for putting this here - i apologize if it's not appropriate. but i have a pr of lasportiva glaciers, only worn on my sidewalk to see if i liked them that run over $200 i'll sell for $80. they are a size 39 and in perfect condition. it's either that or pay to ship 'em back. i'll be sending them on their way by wednesday so if anyone is interested. they are that cool blue color.

As to the subject of the Merrell Grand Traverse, and the Scarpa's, I personally am a Merrell fan. I had a pair of Grand Traverse and loved them. In fact I am getting another pair. I also own Merrell's new Gore-tex Chameleon (sp) boot, which I use in the Winter, and have loved. I was concerned about how stiff the Grand Traverses would be when I first tried them on. But they seemed to fit the best, and I decided to go with them. When I got out on the trail for the first time, and ran through the Lower Range, I didn't have any problems. I don't know if that helps. I am forever a Merrell fan.

Happy Hiking!