Insultex

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Little Rickie

Reaction score
I came across this while looking for insulation for my hammock, Insultex. Is anyone familiar with it or has it been discussed before?

Let me rephrase that a bit...single sheet of 3/32 low density foam polyethylene, also known as Insultex or IX for short.;)

Last edited:
Would someone use that product to say derogatory things about his/her former spouse?

Reference:
http://www.idigear.com/insultex.php

Hammock Forum
You can spend a day reading through the history of this stuff over there. A number of the cottage industry vendors on http://www.hammockforums.net/ have pushed this as a low weight alternative to a down or synthetic underquilt. They mostly use the following type: 1/32" polyester foam quilted inside two layers of polypropylene scrim. I think it was a bit overpromised out of the gate but the members at HF are very supportive of innovation; new designs and new materials. So it took a while for people's expectation to match the reality.

I believe the consensus seems to be that three layers of the quilted materials could get you down to ~ 40*F. In my opinion, that makes it marginal for New England and no real weight saving over a down underquilt with the same rating.

FYI - I have a JRB BMBH and use JRBs TQs and UQs. I bring a weathershield for the UQ if I know it will be very windy or rainy.

Tom_Murphy;378824FYI - I have a JRB BMBH and use JRBs TQs and UQs. I bring a weathershield for the UQ if I know it will be very windy or rainy.[/QUOTE said:
JRB BMBH JRBs TQs UQs ? code for?

I bought a Hennesse Deep Jungle and it has the reflective shield for warmth. I'm looking to add something to this so I can go below freezing down to zero.

I have used a 3/8 high density foam pad for insulation below me with bivi bag over my sleeping bag that gets me below freezing a bit. I'd like to have a more margin for warmth. Last fall I was out down to 15 and had cold feet and was OK for a night but I like to be cozzier.

Of course I'd like it to be cheep.

JRB BMBH JRBs TQs UQs ? code for?

JacksRBetter Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock / Top Quilt / Under Quilt

0 deg F ? I use a -20 sleeping bag in the hammock and double up my quilts.

Hammocks really open up the opportunities to find camp sites in the forest but they are not a UL option

In some conditions, such as winter camping, they require more insulation than being in a tent.