International Dinner and Adventure Series

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chinooktrail

Reaction score
The AMC puts on this series every winter season from January through the end of March.

The food is usually great, the company is fun and the presentations are mostly breathtaking.

They happen every Wednesday night, except for Vacation week, featuring a different region and it's cuisine (or as close as they can get).

Here is the article;

AMC international series offers vicarious globe-trotting
ROB BURBANK
Outdoors with the AMC
Published Jan 8, 2012 at 10:14 am (Updated Jan 8, 2012)

A CURE for cabin fever and the opportunity to experience other cultures await visitors to the Appalachian Mountain Club’s Pinkham Notch Visitor Center this winter with the return of AMC’s popular international nights.

Now in its 22nd year, the International Dinner & Adventure Series offers vicarious visits to other lands. The event is held each Wednesday (except Feb. 22) through March 28. Each event includes a four-course meal offering specialties from that night’s featured country, followed by a cultural presentation by local and regional adventurers.

Often slide lectures, occasionally programs featuring music or dance, the programs help illuminate the culture and opportunities for recreation and exploration of each country featured.

Menus are developed by executive chef Paul Santos, who is assisted by the Pinkham Notch kitchen crew.

This week will feature the cuisine and culture of Italy, with world travelers Steve and Sally Swenson of North Conway. Steve and Sally have entertained audiences with presentations at other International Nights over the years.

This week, they’re set to present a program titled “Cycling and Camping in the Italian-Swiss Lake District.”

The series continues Jan. 18 with “Parrots of the Caribbean: A Natural History of Bonaire” with Larry Spencer.

Future programs slated are: Jan. 25: “Trekking in the Remote Anti-Atlas Mountains of Morocco” with Sue Rose and Eva Borsody Das; featuring the cuisine of Morocco.

Feb. 1: “Climbing Ecuador’s Volcanoes” with AMC Huts Manager and Search and Rescue Coordinator Eric Pedersen; featuring the cuisine of Ecuador.

Feb. 8: “Slovenia — A ‘New’ and Relatively Unknown County of Great Beauty and Diversity” with Theo and Melanie Stibbons; featuring the cuisine of Slovenia.

Feb. 15: “Wild Stone: Climbing the Unclimbed from the Arctic to Arabia” with Sarah Garlick; featuring the cuisine of Jordan.

Feb. 29: “Mongolia: Herders, Horses, and Eagles” with Richard Cable; featuring the cuisine of Mongolia.

March 7: “Hiking in the Aragon and Valencia Regions of Spain” with AMC Vice President for Outdoor Program Centers Paul Cunha; featuring the cuisine of Spain.

March 14: “England — River, Coastal, and Country Walking” with Theo and Melanie Stibbons; featuring the cuisine of England.

March 21: “West of Ireland” with Jack Holmes; featuring the cuisine of Ireland.

March 28: “Medicine in the Mountains: Teaching and Providing in the Himalayas” with Toby Savage; featuring the cuisine of Nepal.

Dinners and presentations are open to all. They are held in the AMC Pinkham Notch Visitor Center Dining Room on Route 16, Pinkham Notch, between the towns of Jackson and Gorham. Dinner is served at 6 p.m. The presentation follows the dinner. There is a fee for the meal, but the program is free to the public.

They are pricy, it is AMC after all. But I have to say, I have enjoyed every one I have gone to. I am planning on a few this year, especially the Mongolia one, not only is it my 'I have to go there before I die' desination, but the dessert is 'Boortsog' - Deep Fried Butter Cookies! What is NOT to love about that?!