Into the Wild yet anyone?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I read the book and really enjoyed it, but it was so clear to me that McCandless was on some level mentally ill that I have never understood the adulation he receives. I don't judge him, but there is no question in my mind that that his story is clearly a tragedy. It's not about someone pushing themselves to the limit--it's about someone who was on some level delusional.

And I don't think you can compare what he did to Krakaure climbing Devil's Thumb. Krakaure brought provisions!

I doubt that I'll see the movie.

Seeker said:
I read the book and really enjoyed it, but it was so clear to me that McCandless was on some level mentally ill that I have never understood the adulation he receives. I don't judge him, but there is no question in my mind that that his story is clearly a tragedy. It's not about someone pushing themselves to the limit--it's about someone who was on some level delusional.

And I don't think you can compare what he did to Krakaure climbing Devil's Thumb. Krakaure brought provisions!

I doubt that I'll see the movie.

I think you bring out a good point about his being "delusional". Unfortunately, his family life had been for him a kind of delusion, a very big lie, that he just could not reconcile himself to. There is a very poignant scene in the film where he makes the statement that goes something like "instead of love, compassion, etc. give me truth." In a certain sense it reminds me a little of Buddhist practice where one abstains from all the normal things that we have come to believe provide us with security, albeit a false security, in order to pursue "truth". He walked "into the wild" to seek answers.
John K compared his experience with Supertramp's. I heard that discussed somewhere by Krakaur, possibly on the Sundance Iconoclast feature.
Chris was obviously very naive but it appears that he was certain he could live off the land. Tragically, it didn't work out for him.

I recently read the book and plan to see the movie tonight.

Just a question for all who feel that McCandles was mentally ill. What specific diagnosis would you say he carried and why?

This is not a smarmy or rhetorical question. It's a serious thing to state that you feel someone is or was mentally ill, and I'd like to know what specific behaviors or symptoms someone would point to. Just "living dangerously" is not enough. If it was, some of the guitar players Gris puts in his avatar pictures would certainly qualify.

Matt

mcorsar said:
Just a question for all who feel that McCandles was mentally ill. What specific diagnosis would you say he carried and why? Just "living dangerously" is not enough. If it was, some of the guitar players Gris puts in his avatar pictures would certainly qualify.

Matt
Hey, i resemble that remark! (hic) FYI, I thinks I only put one guitar player in my avatar (maybe Bobby once, but he's not really a player).

And the wind in the willows played tea for two!
The sky was yellow and the sun way blue!

mcorsar said:
I recently read the book and plan to see the movie tonight.

Just a question for all who feel that McCandles was mentally ill. What specific diagnosis would you say he carried and why?

This is not a smarmy or rhetorical question. It's a serious thing to state that you feel someone is or was mentally ill, and I'd like to know what specific behaviors or symptoms someone would point to. Just "living dangerously" is not enough. If it was, some of the guitar players Gris puts in his avatar pictures would certainly qualify.

Matt

I don't believe that McCandless was mentally ill ... he really didn't exhibit any symptoms that would qualify him for a MH diagnosis.

lots of folks

go off to live by themselves in the wilds of Alaska. seriously, it's not that unusual. yeah, he was maybe not equipped to do it - in every sense of the word, but lots of other folks have done it successfully. you would have to have known him or have more info to say he was "mentally ill," in a real objective, non-relative meaning of that term. he was certainly nowhere near as "de-ranged" as that nut job who camped out amongst the brownies in Katmai on the far side of Nunak lake and ended up getting himself and his girlfriend eaten. now that guy was truly crazy (or at least suicidal).

Gris said:
he was certainly nowhere near as "de-ranged" as that nut job who camped out amongst the brownies in Katmai on the far side of Nunak lake and ended up getting himself and his girlfriend eaten. now that guy was truly crazy (or at least suicidal).

So, Sean Penn's bear left him alone when the bear realized that Chris was starving to death? That scene brought a tear to my eye.

Gris said:
go off to live by themselves in the wilds of Alaska. seriously, it's not that unusual.

You are right, Gris. Susan Butcher was one of my all time favorites. She was flown into the bush with her sack of flour, can of peanut butter and slab of bacon. She live a solitary existence, built her own cabin, many years later married and had two wonderful girls.
Hope this site comes through:
http://alaska.org/videos/susan_butcher.html?susan_butcher_hiFL8.flv

Also, as I watched the film I was hoping that Bart would make an appearance. I had not seen the big guy in a very long time. HE's as handsome as ever!

Last edited:
NewHampshire said:
And lets not forget the great Dick Proenneke. He went into the Alaska bush to film a documentary for one year and wound up spending nearly 30 years there! The documentary is now a bit dated, but one HELL of a great watch!

Brian

One of the best documentaries of all times.

Have it on DVD and still watch it every now and then just to remind me what one man with real skill and fortitude can accomplish.

Keith

Originally Posted by NewHampshire
And lets not forget the great Dick Proenneke. He went into the Alaska bush to film a documentary for one year and wound up spending nearly 30 years there! The documentary is now a bit dated, but one HELL of a great watch!

Brian

Definitely! I saw it about a year ago and was mesmerized. The skills he learned as a diesel mechanic no doubt made a huge difference, considering he had only a handful of metal tools to work with. Ripping boards with a handsaw from logs doesn't work very well if your tools are dull.

There is a Wiki entry on him here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Proenneke

70 pushups on his 70th b-day! What a beast!

Tim Seaver said:
Definitely! I saw it about a year ago and was mesmerized. The skills he learned as a diesel mechanic no doubt made a huge difference, considering he had only a handful of metal tools to work with. Ripping boards with a handsaw from logs doesn't work very well if your tools are dull.

There is a Wiki entry on him here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Proenneke

70 pushups on his 70th b-day! What a beast!

Watching him build that cabin, stone fireplace and furniture with his hand tools still has my head shaking... even a spoon using his axe- unbelievable- a must see !

Bart the famous grizzley bear died several years ago. He was the bear that played in most movies that had a grizzley, lie, The Edge, Legends of the Fall, and many more. This is the new bear I think they trained recently to take his place. The movie was truely wonderful and one of the few movies to really capture what the book had. I really like how the ending was done how he was dieing and they changed cameras to where everyone else that knew him was and what they were doing. Beautiful movie though. -Mattl

Mattl said:
Bart the famous grizzley bear died several years ago. He was the bear that played in most movies that had a grizzley, lie, The Edge, Legends of the Fall, and many more. This is the new bear I think they trained recently to take his place. The movie was truely wonderful and one of the few movies to really capture what the book had. I really like how the ending was done how he was dieing and they changed cameras to where everyone else that knew him was and what they were doing. Beautiful movie though. -Mattl

Poor Bart. I didn't know he passed on.
I think they gave the new bear his name because when I was reading the credits, it said "Bart the Bear".
I wonder if he is related.
I love my D. P. DVD and also watch it when I need inspiration.
I have a VHS of Susan Butcher as well. It is titled Alaska's Great Race and is a nice documentary about her life and the Iditarod.
I don't think she believed in PLB's. I enjoyed this statement: " I have been know to walk in front of my team for fifty five miles, with snow shoes, to lead them through snow storms in non-racing situation, where I could have easily radioed for a plane to come and get me. Instead, I will take the other way out. And it's certainly given my life incredible fullfilment."
I like the idea of her taking being the only person to take a dog team up Denali. Would have liked to see that.
These folks are darn tough!!!

Maddy said:
Poor Bart. I didn't know he passed on.
I think they gave the new bear his name because when I was reading the credits, it said "Bart the Bear".
I wonder if he is related.
According to Emile Hirsch it was Bart the Bear Jr who was in the movie. I don't think they are blood related, but were raised by the same trainers as Senior's.

Last edited:
cbcbd said:
According to Emile Hirsch it was Bart the Bear Jr who was in the movie. I don't think they are blood related, but were raised by the same trainers as Senior's.

Thanks...I like keeping up on my bears :D

We're close to being fluffy here (the pun is intended), but I'm a big fan of Doug Seus, his wife Lynne, and their work with bears.

The new "Bart" is not related to the first. The new one is one of a pair of cubs orphaned in Alaska and transferred to the Seuses by the state of Alaska. His sister is named "Honey-Bump" aka "Bump." They are featured in the Discovery Channel productions "Growing Up Grizzly" and "Growing Up Grizzly 2."

saw it last night w my 19 YO daughter...

and i thought they did a real good job with it. particularly liked the "flash back" modality (would have been boring w/o it - there only so much desolation you can take) and was rather impressed w/ Vedder's unorthodox, yet soulful vocalizations (never been a big pearl Jam fan). could they have done a better job? sure, was a little too documentary-like for me. If it had been in a more typical up close and personal silver screen fashion, more "living in the moment" (which is apprently what McCandless was all about), it could have been up there on my all-time best list, since the story is so strong. also could have done a better job of bringing home the stark loneliness of the landscape (as opposed to romanticizing it). when i was out there last "summer" (they dont really have a summer there) i was hit right in the gut by the "inhospitableness" of the place... really got a kick out of how the little teenage hippie girl singer went from cheesy flat note nobody to full-on Sheryl Crow like harmonic perfection simply by virtue of Chris' magical influence (couldn't help but laugh when it suddenly switched to recording studio quality mid song) and think my daughter fell in love w/ the sensitive "Chris," def her kind of guy, right in that scene.