Iphone in the Whites?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stu

Reaction score
Hey everyone, 1st of let me say that I dont use a cell phone right now when hiking. In fact I never carry a cell phone (only used for car emergencys). But my situation may be changing. I do most of my hiking solo including winter and im geting some pressure to check in from time to time with my family. I also recently read No Way down - Life & Death on K2 and was impressed with how some of the climbers used their cell phones during their epic climb.
My kids all use iphones and I can see how useful they could be. The ability to email and text, the excellent camera and on and on. We are currently using AT&T so Im stuck with that for now. :(
So for those people that use an iphone when hiking in the whites I would appreciate youre opinions, positive or negative. How is the cell coverage? Can you send a text or email from the summits? Hows the battery life.
Thanks, Stu

AT&T is terrible in the Whites. Verizon and T-mobile are much, much better. I have the Iphone 4.0 and it'll work on bald/open summits, but it's extremely lousy under tree cover up there.

The battery works well on the iphone, even in cold temperature in my opinion. Keep the phone close to your body to keep it warm enough during cold temps.

AT&T's coverage map shows no service at all in Twin Mountain (verified in person last summer) and a lot of the surrounding area, except for a blob of "partner" service around Bretton Woods.

Now, if you could go with the Verizon iPhone that would probably work nicely, based on my Verizon Droid experiences.

AT&T's coverage map shows no service at all in Twin Mountain (verified in person last summer) and a lot of the surrounding area, except for a blob of "partner" service around Bretton Woods.

Now, if you could go with the Verizon iPhone that would probably work nicely, based on my Verizon Droid experiences.

Michael -

I'm a little hesitant to comment on cell coverage since I don't live in New England any longer. However, I do visit at least twice a year, and currently have AT&T. I find that coverage in Twin Mountain is the same as it was 10 years ago - very spotty, but ... you can make a call if you're persistent. Once you turn south from the light, watch the signal bars carefully, ready to pull over immediately if you get a signal. There are 2 or 3 spots along the highway, including across from the campground at the far southend of town, but once you're at Haystack Rd, it's usually gone.

What has changed is Crawford Notch area - that used to be dead, but now signal is excellent. Maybe the influence of Bretton Woods & and the Washington Hotel complex? I pull into the Highland Center parking lot when I need to make a call - once you head down into the Notch towards Willey all bets are off.

In my experience, cell service from AT&T in the Whites is about the same as it was 10 years ago - with the exception of Crawford Notch added - spotty in the valleys, better along the ridges.

Edit - aren't Verizon and Verizon Wireless two different companies, along with two quite different customer satisfaction profiles?

Last edited:
I switched from Verizon to ATT when I moved to Freeport and ATT is the only service that works at the house. Initially coverage in the Whites was zero but the last year or so I have coverage in North Conway and quite a bit of Rt 16 from 302 up to near the Auto Road.

Assumption is that with G4 a lot will change anyway.

Thanks

Thanks for the opinions. Right now im stuck with the AT&T family plan. Knowing how bad the coverage is up north I have a tough decision to make, although the service is actually very good in my local area. I am optimistic that with the new competition AT&T may be forced to improve.:rolleyes: Thanks, Stu

Spot?

Stu,

My situation is similar to yours - I do a lot of solo hiking and this causes some concern. I carry my cell phone (AT&T) and used to send "summit" text messages when I could. This summer I started carrying a SPOT tracker, which I leave in "follow me" mode while hiking. I have prearranged signals with my family for "summit" (or destination), "changed plans", and "trouble - self-rescuing", as well as the predefined 911 button. This plus leaving my plans at home gives me a better feeling that if something goes wrong, I won't be the only one who knows about it.

The K2 situation, with point-to-point radios and a lot of support in the area, is not directly comparable, I think.

Willoughby

Trac Phone or Net10 Phone

Stu - if the primary use of the phone is for emergencies, you might consider either a Trac phone or a Net10 phone - I think they're offered by the same company. They're a pay-as-you-go type of arrangement, and it's a little confusing to figure out the "airtime" vs. "minutes", but it's not rocket science. If it's only used occasionally, it may not only be cheaper, but have the advantage of better reception overall as they (Trac) has arrangements with most (all?) cell tower providers to route calls, so you get the best of AT&T, Verizon Wireless, T-Mobile, etc.

I think the phones are available from K-Mart starting about $20.

The advantages of this are obvious... but good grief, I have some relatives who would freak out if I had to detour due to a river crossing w/ "rotting" ice, missed a trail junction, had to turn back due to a twisted ankle, etc.

You know, the kind that really believe that 1 out of every 20 hikers is never heard from again? W/ them I'd rather just not say anything until I'm on my way home from the entire peak-bagging trip.

I started carrying a SPOT tracker, which I leave in "follow me" mode while hiking. I have prearranged signals with my family for "summit" (or destination), "changed plans", and "trouble - self-rescuing", as well as the predefined 911 button. This plus leaving my plans at home gives me a better feeling that if something goes wrong, I won't be the only one who knows about it.

As far as I am from being a technological luddite, I feel no compulsion to have the ability to be within constant access. I guess that is a generational thing but such technology actually detracts from my experience.

Having said that I do believe in utilitizing the best resources available for emergency purposes ... in fact I confess to once making a call when I surprisingly found service on a major remote peak in Maine. The conversation began, "You'll never believe where I am ..."

My choice of provider is Verizon for, across the country, they have the best coverage based upon my research a few times over the last several years. My coverage interest is widespread and not focused. That seems to be reinforced every time the subject comes up here. Mind you, there's a lot I don't like about Verizon but for my money it offers the best coverage.

ATT has boasted that they have coverage for over 90% of the population. I want whatever covers the other 10% best because that's where I'm apt to have an emergency.

ATT has boasted that they have coverage for over 90% of the population. I want whatever covers the other 10% best because that's where I'm apt to have an emergency.

Well said Stan. This is what made me change to Verizon. Had an incident in the Whites when I needed to contact 911. My ATT had no signal but fortunately a friend had Verizon.
It's that sinking feeling when you really need it and don't have it.

Stu - if the primary use of the phone is for emergencies, you might consider either a Trac phone . . . If it's only used occasionally, it may not only be cheaper, but have the advantage of better reception overall as they (Trac) has arrangements with most (all?) cell tower providers to route calls, so you get the best of AT&T, Verizon Wireless, T-Mobile, etc.
For what it's worth, I can confirm that TracFone coverage is good here in the Whites. On more than one occasion, I've been able to get a signal when hiking with someone who was unable to get a signal on their non-TracFone phone.

For what it's worth, I can confirm that TracFone coverage is good here in the Whites. On more than one occasion, I've been able to get a signal when hiking with someone who was unable to get a signal on their non-TracFone phone.

Ditto. Nobody else with a cell phone [including an iPhone] is able to get reception where I live in the Whites. However I have a TracFone and have no problems at all.

Even if you own a cell phone, it's almost worth having the TracFone as the emergency phone of choice because it's so inexpensive.