Iroquois conditions?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doc McPeak

Reaction score
saratoga springs Avatar: Spring has sprung ... ju
Has anyone been to Iroquois since the dump?

I am going this weekend with a hiker, who may talk a mean game, but is really a huge wimp and baby on the trails and is afraid she may get swallowed up in spruce land. :cool:

Please post some encouraging news so I don't have to bring a box of tissues to dab her tears away all the way to the summit. (At least she brings nice treats!)

Thanks!

Doc McPeak said:
Has anyone been to Iroquois since the dump?

I am going this weekend with a hiker, who may talk a mean game, but is really a huge wimp and baby on the trails and is afraid she may get swallowed up in spruce land. :cool:

Please post some encouraging news so I don't have to bring a box of tissues to dab her tears away all the way to the summit. (At least she brings nice treats!)

Thanks!
Doc, Laurie and I need Iroquois as well. Saturday or Monday would work for us. Want to go for it together?

As for Beta, I did hear that someone was to Algonquin recently. Also, I was at the bottom of the trail up to Boundary from Lake Colden on Sunday. It looked like some poor slob had tried to bare boot up the unbroken trail! A few yards away, the 'snow meter' at the ranger cabin read 1.1 meters (43 inches)! :eek:

Doctor, Doctor

Give me a call! I gotta bad case of falling in spruce traps and getting blown away above treeline!

There is a chance that I may be able to bring my Ace up there on Saturday, but won't be able to get a timely report to you.
Then again, I may not get there until Monday AM to follow your white highway to the summit of Iroquois?!

I wish you and your partner well! :D

Sunday, 8:30-9:00 is the departure date and time.

Already chiseled in stone, but would be great if you guys can swing Sunday.

iNs, we're letting Angie earn her W all the way to Iroquois on this one. Plus, my excuse of having only worn snowshoes once in the last 12 months should last for one more outing.... As for being a Monday vulture ... we owe you one!

OK Doc!

You were carrying all that hi-tech video gear, so we'll let you use that excuse one more time.

Too bad the trip is cancelled.

Looks like maybe you can all join me later in the week for the bushwhack approach that I have been planning from Cold Brook Pass! Angie can really earn her patch that way - especially since she hasn't been able to enjoy the easy cruising conditions of earlier this winter!

So if your sickie partner is tied up at home, can we visit and have another party there??!!

All in winter fun! :D

Doc McPeak said:
Sunday, 8:30-9:00 is the departure date and time.

Already chiseled in stone, but would be great if you guys can swing Sunday.

iNs, we're letting Angie earn her W all the way to Iroquois on this one. Plus, my excuse of having only worn snowshoes once in the last 12 months should last for one more outing.... As for being a Monday vulture ... we owe you one!

So let me be sure I have this straight. You looking for a broken trail or do you really want her to "earn" this one? Maybe we could get a group together to go fill in the path if it's broken so she can really earn it? Have fun. Sent you an email.

check the trail condition thread
Trail: ALGONQUIN
Date Hiked: 02-21-2007

Conditions: Left the LOJ at 5:45 am and reached the wright/algonquin junction at 8:30 am. Trail was excellent--hard packed--well used and perfect for a snowshoe/ski climb.From that junction, to the Algonquin tree line, there was evidence of the trail being previously broken but it was all drifted in. Rebroke trail until getting onto the hard packed drifts and ice crystal covered summit. Wind was at least 30 mph, (gusts unknown), and we were worried about being blown off the summit, 50 yard maximun visibility, the cairns were like white ghosts emerging from the ice. whiteout conditions-aborted our attempt to do Iroquois. Reached the TRUE summit at 10:00 am

Special Required Equipment: Used snowshoes all the way. Possible need or use for crampons in a few very short areas but the DENALI ACCENT snowshoes were really all I needed. If you step off the side of the trail, I think you'd be up to your neck with the addition of that drifted snow.

Comments: It's great to be able to do a hike like this on such a great day and achieve the true real summit. By reading these reports and talking to people, I, as a 46er lose credibility and am dis-enchanted by people taking credit for peaks when they did not achieve the true summit or say that they were "close enough". That takes away from the 99% of the people who know the trails, study the maps, and climb up to the true summits. (sorry for the dialog)

Submitted by: turkey bob and pete