Is it the height of Thru Hiker Season?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And if yes, the greatest density is where based on time of the summer?

Thanks, guys/gals.

I know my boss ("Glad Gal" if you follow Trailjournals.com) and her hiking partner expect to hit the whites by this weekend. From her most recent entries, it seems like there are a sizable number of other north-bound thru-hikers just ahead and behind her.

I think it's still a bit early. The fast cohort is moving through, but I think mid August to the beginning of September is the peak.

Labor Day

Many thru-hikers are looking to finish by October 15 when Baxter State Park closes for overnight use. And, if Baxter is about a month from the White Mountains, that would put peak thru-hikers going through the Whites in early September.

I was on Lafayette yesterday and there were three on top, and we bumped into another two on Friday heading up Liberty Springs trail to the Franconia Ridgeline, so yes at least some of them are here.

I saw MANY this past Sunday 7/24 going up from Galehead Hut towards South Twin. Talked to about 7 of them making their way up while we were going down and one said about 15 had stayed in the hut the night before. Some started March 2, March 12 and March 20th and said they had about 3-4 weeks left so expected to finish by end of August. When I stopped at the hut, the girl there said there was a real big group of AT thru-hikers that had stayed there on the night before Friday also, so to me it def seemed like height of thru-hiker season since I have never seen so many on one hike like we did that day. Gave them alot of credit too as they all were in great spirits and very friendly and were happy to be in NH.

August is definitely the peak in Gorham, although over the years folks start earlier and earlier with a lot of thrus in Gorham for July fourth. Generally the folks out on the trail in the whites are out enjoying the experience of the hike and not necessarily looking for big miles. Its usually that way until the first week of September when they start looking concerned and by mid September they are very concerned and considering a flip flop.

Met three groups on Saturday 7/23 mid-Prsidentials. One couple had started in early February. In general they all seemed to feel they were out in front of the pack.

They'll taper off in early September, but I'll see isolated groups right up through the end of September. I always ask them what they're going to do about the K Park situation (including the lack of hitchhiking opportunities) but they all just vaguely say they'll be fine.

I passed 10 or 12 backpacker on Franconia Ridge today. I believe most of them were through hikers. It's fun talking to them. One young fellow told me he had about two and a half weeks left in his hike--two and a half weeks to decide what he was going to do with the rest of his life.

We passed 20 thru hikers yesterday on a hike along the Mahoosuc trail. The full monte (no not that kind) thru hikers (about 10 of them) had started mostly in late March. The section hikers (about 10 of them) don't count ;) since they're not in the true wave and they started at various times from various places. The hikers we saw are probably some of the same hikers people posted about earlier, making their way across the Whites.

We ran across more than a dozen North Bounders over the course of the day Saturday around Galehead Hut. One pair from Rhode Island we ran into coming toward North Twin from South Twin. We turned them around when they asked us how far to Ethan Pond :)