Is this already arrive to you?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yvon

Reaction score
Yesterday, about 1.5 miles before JBL, when we were back from Haystack and Basin, and we walking fast to the Garden parking, I heard, and Annie's too, GRRRR!!! very clearly with deep and big sound. It was just beside the path. I did not see it, but I think it was a bear. We did not stop and we did not want to stop.
Scary!!!!

yvon said:
Yesterday, about 1.5 miles before JBL, when we were back from Haystack and Basin, and we walking fast to the Garden parking, I heard, and Annie's too, GRRRR!!! very clearly with deep and big sound. It was just beside the path. I did not see it, but I think it was a bear. We did not stop and we did not want to stop.
Scary!!!!
A bear ran across the path in front of me once, but it just kept on trucking. It sounded like a horse galloping, it must have been a big bear! :eek:

Once, while in the area of the Kagel Shelter on the way to Avalanche Lake, We heard the sounds of bears off to the right of us in Marcy Brook in what seemed to be a wrestling match. It sounded like it might have been cubs, which made us all the more nervous.

Kevin

Bears

We were the first car into Baxter SP in June '99. While driving to the parking area, I spotted a mother bear with 2 cubs about to cross the road. Of course I stopped causing all the impatient hikers driving in behind us to start honking until the mother started crossing the road. The horns stopped and we could hear gasps and "Omigosh" coming from the cars behind us. Crossing from left to right, one cub followed, the other stayed behind. The mother called from the right side of the road, but he wouldn't come, apparently afraid from all the noise. She left the cub who had followed and went back for the one that wouldn't cross. When she got back to this one, the other got lonesome and ran back after momma. Then all three crossed together and disappeared into the woods. What a show! I was too enthralled to reach for the camera. I have never crossed paths with any in the woods.

KDT

In 1976 at Ore Bed Brook leanto in the ADK High Peaks, I had a bear step over top of me while I was in my sleeping bag in the middle of the night. I really wasn't scared at all but that was a little too close for nature viewing. :eek:

Fast forward 2005, my 12 yo son and my 9 yo niece and I were hiking out from JBL after a day hike to the summit of Big Slide. Near the Bear Brook leanto (appropriately) with my son about 50 yds ahead of us, a bear and him we about 50 feet apart, eye-to-eye. My son let out a shriek while the bear grunted and they both ran in opposite directions having just scared the crap out of each other :D :D

The first time I saw a bear in the ADKs was just last month on my ADk46r finish on RPR. Starting off from Rt 9 in New Russian, I spoted a "black mass" heading up into the woods as we just left the trailhead. Knowing there are no black panthers there, it could of only been a small bear.

I've had a bear and 2 cubs cross Rt 23 near Cairo in the Catskills, seen another mom and 3 cubs near Mink Hollow, a treed bear by Big Hollow Road, and countless bears in NJ, but until last month, did not encounter a bear in the ADKs and never had a bear take my food...

Jay

MY first encounter was about 20 or so years ago at the Long Lake Town Dump. Everyone would bring there garbage down and the bears would come out about 8pm every night.

Then back in 1992 at Marcy Dam I saw one raid a campers tent as they left food behind on there dayhike. These campers also packed in a beer ball and the bear pierced a hole in it and was drinking it from a sitting position. I bet he had a hangover later that night :D Then 2 years ago one ran by our camp at about 5am with every step we heard grunt grunt grunt :D as he passed our lean-to.

Last edited:
I've never heard a GRRRR, but a hoot-purr and also loud thrashing in the woods. I did see alot of evidence of bear on the trail between JBL and the Garden earlier this summer; and was told by a ranger that a mother and three cubs have been raiding/hanging around the campsites there.

I once heard an incredibly loud growl-like noise on the trail about a mile west of the Garden. The scary part was, it continued for a while and seemed to be keeping pace with me (without any noise of something passing through the vegetation). My hiking buddy who was ahead of me heard it too, and he thought it was coming from a point nearer to him than to me. Really don't know what it was.

Have also heard a few cough/snort/bark noises in various places, usually at night near water. One I'm pretty sure was a human playing tricks on his campmates, others might have been moose, bear, or other.

Great stories! all we need now is a campfire and a flashlight!

I wish I had some bear stories! maybe at Baxter next week. wish me luck!

Ralph

...I ran into a Mother and 2 cubs, smack dab in the middle of Lake road on AMR property early On Grace Day hiking Colvin. They were in no hurry to get out of the middle of the road, and we were in no hurry to get any closer. It was a stand off for a while until they decided to move back into the woods.

Yesterday, b-wacking in Foret Ouareau north of Montreal I heard some heavy thuds nearby but saw nothing. I stopped and listened and heard some more thudding. I called out 2-3 times and heard no more. Maybe it was deer, maybe bear. I'll never know but I did see some fresh bear scat later on.

Neil said:
Yesterday, b-wacking in Foret Ouareau north of Montreal I heard some heavy thuds nearby but saw nothing. I stopped and listened and heard some more thudding. I called out 2-3 times and heard no more. Maybe it was deer, maybe bear. I'll never know but I did see some fresh bear scat later on.

HA HA! Fooled You!! The scat wasn't mine though. :D

--M. said:
That's not fresh scat.
Fresh cat? Maybe that was it. A fresh cat.

There are an estimated 60,000 bears in Quebec. I'm guessing that was what I heard. Deer are usually quieter. I often see them there and even when they are hightailing it they are very quiet. (I wonder how they do that with all the sticks and branches on the ground?)

Actually, what I called out was,

"Fee fie foe fum. I smell the blood of.....

...Prino."

:D

Neil said:
Fresh cat? Maybe that was it. A fresh cat.

There are an estimated 60,000 bears in Quebec. I'm guessing that was what I heard. Deer are usually quieter. I often see them there and even when they are hightailing it they are very quiet. (I wonder how they do that with all the sticks and branches on the ground?)

Practice...They do a whole lot more bushwhacking than you do :rolleyes:

Neil said:
Actually, what I called out was,

"Fee fie foe fum. I smell the blood of.....

...Prino."

That wasn't blood.... that was India Pale Ale!