Isolation: 48th Hike: 2/4/06

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Isolation, Here We Come....

I plan on being there on Saturday and can't think of a better time to start then 6 am... I was wondering if anyone would like to do a a little more that day: Grab massive amounts of food somewhere after the hike, night hike up Wildcat D, camp out, sunday am hike over to Wildcat Mtn, descend, drive over to Valley Way (off of route 2) and hike madison. I know this plan is a little relaxed, but I'm sure we can add some more adventures somehow to spice it up a little. I'll see everyone on Saturday and I'll be looking for any takers on the extended part of the trip. I'm eager to get the Wildcats/Madison done in the winter and I was thinking, 'Why Not?' since we are in the area.

Youngblood

What...we are back to the 6:00 a.m. start??? :eek:

Lenny, what time should we be ready to hike???

-MEB

MEB said:
What...we are back to the 6:00 a.m. start??? :eek:

Lenny, what time should we be ready to hike???

-MEB

MEB - Lenny has stated the hike starts at 8 AM - a few may start as early as 6 AM, but they are the exception.

I am hoping to hook up with you guys after for celebration as will be in the area - it will be a good opp to toast len and meet some new folks -

can anyone make a guestimate when you will be back at parking lot? I have only done iso once and that was summer - coming from the south - so haven't a clue on the time for this trek.

Planning to head over the trailhead to meet you guys. I know its tough to guess due to varing speeds, but an estimate is fine.

I'm going to guestimate finishing at 5 pm or so, then off to Shannondoor. Abster is looking to make a reservation for about six. I think that should work. Weather looks on and off for Sat, but so long as it isn't going to be completely horrible, I'm planning on still going for it. Yes MEB, I'm starting at 8 am. Others will be going earlier. I'm really looking forward to this. :)

Isolation on Sat.

I wish everyone a wonderful hike on Sat. But given the weather forecast I dont think I will drive up from here this weekend. I hope to meet you all some other time.

Drweo

ok cool - thanks len - well - everyone have a good hike and will see ya after at trailhead or the pub

weather look ok - storm hopefully will be over friday night and sat will clear out a bit.

Hey Len,

Just wanting to confirm that this is a 6AM start at Rocky Branch. Please set us all straight (or me, at least .... :D LOL) if that's wrong. Heading North tomorrow directly from work to hike Friday and then join you for your big 48th Saturday and I don't want to be late :) .

Some day I'll learn to read thoroughly like I used to tell my students to :) .... 8AM start, got it :D

Okay, I'll be at Lincoln Woods for a 0700 start, right? :rolleyes:

Lets see, pub crawl valley style, Shannon Door to Red Fox to the Parka to Mary Kay's to The Moat to Delaney's to Hooligans to Up Country and finishing off at Almost There! Whoo Hoo! :p

I'm excited, who is bringing the Lenny Wine/Champagne?

So we're meeting at 8AM at the Rocky Branch trailhead, got it. We'll most likely be staying at the Harvard Hut the night before, and maybe the night after as well, depends on what we're doing on Sunday.

I want to try out my new skis... :)

Water Crossings

Weather should be nice for the Isolation hike tomorrow, but there is some concern about the water crossings. With ice bridges melted and today's weather coming through, this could be a challenge. If you are going tomorrow, please plan for the water crossings. Anyone have any recommendations on these or some specifics on how to bushwhack around the crossings? Thanks.

When doing some wackin with Bob & Geri we ran into a Frenchman named(appropriately enough" Pierre. Well we were on our way down from Scar Ridge and it was almost dark, he was on his way up (had already done Moosilauke earlier that day) and when I asked him how he got across the river (we all de-booted, wore sandals, toweled on opposite side and re-booted) he simply replied, "I charged through it!" He went on to say that it was like wearing a wetsuit, "As long as you keep moving your feet stay warm." Not sure I'm that hardcore, but it's ONE way!!!

LenDawg said:
Weather should be nice for the Isolation hike tomorrow, but there is some concern about the water crossings. With ice bridges melted and today's weather coming through, this could be a challenge. If you are going tomorrow, please plan for the water crossings. Anyone have any recommendations on these or some specifics on how to bushwhack around the crossings? Thanks.

You guys are doing the Engine hill bushwhack right, probably well tracked out on the 3100 contour.

We avoided the first two by doing this route, there were two that followed later on which we crossed over creaking snow bridges, one of our party fell in, we could've avoided it. Here is what our intrepid leaded said about the second bushwhack.

"The second common bushwhack is very similar to the "quicky" on the Cedar Brook trail section of the Hancock hike. The trail crosses the brook, only to recross a few feet away. The bushwhack just stays to the right of the brook. bank for a short distance and you are back on the trail again shortly."

Hope this helps you guys. Have fun Len, looks like a pretty good day for you.

well my climbing partner had to bail due to a family issue, so i won't be heading up up NH after all. - so won't see ya all after the hike.

so good luck and have a safe journey and congrats in advance.