Isolation Bushwhack on 3/12 Ms. Brown's #48

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi... Glad you folk had a good day..made the top... and had lots of fun.
The attempts that don't quite pan out are just pieces of a puzzle till it all comes together.
So congratulations to those that have been out there "shoeing" up a storm chasing their dreams.
I read the trip conditions sounds like a good time was had by all !!

I wrote up a trip report here in the forums...it's kind of a report/story.
Hope it's not too long and hope you get a chuckle out of it.

(let me know if it reads ok..it's those spelling errors I keep workien at..)
spdr

Doug, Spider & anyone interested,

I have the actual path that we took overlayed onto a Nat. Geo. Map. (The trails have changed a little over the years) From there you can probably figure out were you may have ventured. We were on Davis Path for a short time but never really saw the Isolation trail. Just speculated at the RB crossings. The nice (hwy) portion down low on the return loop was actually the brook bed. I can send it via email, but not the email from views. (I need to be able to attach a file).
Hey Bill, Thanks for the couple of tease pics. I'll eventually get mine onto a cd then onto Webshots.

DougPaul wrote:
How did you do the last few hundred feet to the summit? Did one of my routes pan out or did you find another one

I explored all your and/or spider's attempts at the 3900 shoulder, we merged w/Davis Path nicely,. Your drifted 'shoes prints proved how determined you were! I only remember a left on the trail as the trail seemed to end 500' from the summit. The Davis Path was not broken out one step south of the spur.

Congradulations all

Hi one and all, I am glad that you all made it this time.I am sorry that I couldn't accompany you people yesterday.Do you think Julie is going to like "Spruce Trap"?How much of the bushwack that we made last week did you use?What are we doing next weekend?

Hi Dave,
Yes, we were sorry you couldn't make it, but we still have to get Ms. Brown there at some point.
And no, we won't really let the nickname stick, Julie is too nice a person to bestow a lame name too.
I will tell you at one point just below the summit on our approach, myself, Julie, and Magic were all stuck in traps.
It's just on the bushwhack back and right below the summit, Julie fell in one that had spruce quicksand and it required a lot of arm pulling and snowshoe kicking to get out. All of us spent plenty of time up to our chests and waists in snow and pine needles, so it became our joke for the day.
By the way, if you get a chance, read Spider Solo's trip report!
See you soon!
Bill

Last edited:
Very well said Pucknuts!

After all of this routine exercise during the past month -- We are almost Isolation experts -- thanks for the route map, wildpeaks -- surely we must be winners!

Good question hikerdave, where *are* we hiking next . . . please everyone, share your ideas, I'm listening, and looking forward to going !!

Dave,
We used all of it. Sorry you missed the rest of it. I sent you a map.

Bill,
I hope you didn't take home as much lumber as I did. :eek: You would have gotten a chuckle if you saw the shower floor.

Magic,
We're still losers.

Let's see;
Ms. Trap??
We'll see. ;)

Three cheers to you all!!

I am soooo happy that you all made it to the top safely. Sounds like you had a blast. I was with you every step of the way in spirit. I felt so connected with you guys that I almost feel like I did it! Do you think that counts? This was truly an accomplishment to be cherished.

I can't wait to feel the way you all do today, exhilirated, exhausted, and enthusiastic for the next adventure!

Ms Brown

PS: Did you see my Avatar!!

It was a great day on Isolation Saturday. We left the parking lot at 9:30 and met up with Wildpeaks, Mtnmagic, Pucknuts, Juls and Ghostdog right as they were crossing the river. We were glad for the company and it was really nice to meet everyone after being on this post and working towards the same goal.
We were thankfull for whoever it was ahead of us breaking a trail that seemed to be heading to our target. We stopped and confirmed with Wildpeak's GPS and at view points with our maps.

A few of those spruce traps got us, but sometimes it pays to be small when it comes to bushwacking... We made it to the top at just about 2:00 and were so glad to see that cairn!! We enjoyed the sunshine and views as we took pictures and had a celebration snack. Soon, we could hear the rest of them approaching and were anxious to share the peak and in the celebration. It was nice to meet Rox & Clark as they joined us on the peak with the others.

We bushwacked out following faint tracks which soon dissappeared, but we kept to our line and came back out to find the faint tracks which led to our original tracks in. It was a long day but felt very happy to have bagged it in winter and to have shared it with so many!

Thanks for the company and the champagne with many high fives and hugs!

Attached are a couple photos to show the smiles all around!

Magic, thanks for joining us for dinner and sharing our celebration. It was very enjoyable talking and laughing with you. Ghostdog was even given a treat by the waitress! (in person)
We hope to see you all out on the trails again soon.

Darlene & Brian

Thanks to Spider Solo and DougPaul for all of the beta and hard work trail breaking. A friend and I started off from the parking lot around 7:30 Saturday morning saying hi to two others in the parking lot as we left. We followed your tracks across the brook and to the point where Spider Solo took his break on the ledges. We decided to continue up to the ridge and try and find the trial. We didn’t have any luck finding the trail but found no difficulties route finding or traveling. We found the Davis path near the col at 3800’ and followed it to the summit around 12:30. We took a different route down. Near the summit we took off east, at first through some steep thick woods, which soon brought us to a gentle gully, which we followed to the brook. We came upon some recent tracks near the brook crossing and followed them across. We made our own path on the other side of the brook which brought us back to the standard bushwhack route along the 3100’ line near the junction with the trail. We soon lost interest in following a beaten path and found ourselves bushwhacking through a beautiful birch forest, and back to the truck at 3:00. The snow and weather conditions certainly helped.

DougPaul I understand you ran (pun intended) into a friend of mine on Morgan / Percival on Saturday. Small world.

Last edited:
Hampshire said:
We found the Davis path near the col at 3800’ and followed it to the summit around 12:30.

DougPaul I understand you ran (pun intended) into a friend of mine on Morgan / Percival on Saturday. Small world.
Hampshire,

Congrats--glad you made it.

It might be more accurate to say your friend "ran into us"...

(Just to let the rest of you in on the joke, the friend was a trail runner who did the loop twice in less time than we did it once.)

Doug

What more could one want? Super pix Darlene. Thank you to one and all! Just another day in Paradise !!