Isolation bushwhack starts on the way down?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weatherman

Reaction score
South Metro Denver Avatar: Basin Ponds Bullwinkl
Hi everyone-
My dad and I are planning our joint NH#48 sometime between now and October (yeah, should manage one free weekend sometime in there!) on Isolation, and I'm pushing for a Glen Boulder in-Rocky Branch out loop. Question is, I've found a good bit of info on how to find the bushwhack cutoffs coming from Rt 16, but nothing on how to find them when going back TO Rt 16.

Are there recognizable places to start on the two cutoffs (Davis-->Isolation trail and Isolation-->Rocky Branch) coming back down, or do we just wing it with map and compass? And how worth it are they in the non-winter months with no high water?

Thanks.
Weatherman

Some of the bushwhacks I've done in winter are likely to be pretty muddy in summer. When we did it in the summer a few years ago, we just stuck to the regular trails.

They arent obvious herd paths, but if you know how to read a map versus the surrounding terrain, the first one is pretty obvious, the second one is really an extension of the first one as long as you followed the correct bearing and didnt drift downhill. The first bushwhack has a band of thick softwoods that you have to plunge through before you hit the birch glades.

Realistically, the bushwhacks are a time saver in the winter but probably arent in the summer unless you have problems with the extra river crossings. The time gained walking along a graded trail is hard to make up bushwhacking in the summer as hobblebush and raspberries can really slow things down even though in the winter, the snow covers these so you actually can gain time due to the shoter distance. Part of the reason for the second bushwhack is that the Davis Path drifts in and is inevitably full of blowdowns so the less time you have to walk on it the better

My last trip there, I just left the Davis Path directly opposite the summit spur and headed straight down. You can also leave Davis Path at col N or S of there. For the other bushwhack, you can leave the Isolation Trail just before the last crossing.

I agree with JL that unless you're an experienced bushwhacker, the trail is probably faster if the crossings are OK.

As the other guys said, the Davis-Isolation one is probably not worth it in summer. It's pretty obvious where it starts but doesn't look pretty. (was pretty nice in the winter though).

The Isolation-Rocky Branch one looks like it would be tough to find on the way back without the benefit of a packed snow trail. When we were on our way out back in March, we never really knew when we got back on the trail. On the way back, it was more obvious where it split off (and no one had come up the trail in a while). As I recall there was a small piece of orange tape right there, but I don't think that I'd rely on it being there. That bushwhack goes through a birch glade and in my opinion is way nicer than the trail is. But I've only seen it in winter so I don't know how thick it would or wouldn't be.

I agree with everyone who suggests that a bushwhack in the summer is basically not worth the effort. These are beautiful trails that you have chosen for the completion of you and your Dad's 48. Hopefully you will have gorgeous weather on your trip so you can take advantage of leisurely soaking your feet, relaxing in the sun at streamside, and taking time to appreciate your accomplishment while admiring any one of the water crossings on this hike.

Good luck and congratulations in advance :)

The first bushwhack - around the contour on Engine Hill - doesn't save time, but it does save a bit of effort as you don't have to regain the elevation on the return. It does avoid the first major brook crossing, however. This can be a factor at spring melt or after a heavy rain.

Aside from the first brook crossing, you can avoid some of the others by staying up on the river bank. Do a search if you're interested - they've been documented here more than once.

As for the higher bushwhacks - unless there's adequate snow cover, they're far more trouble than they're worth.