Isolation Odyssey

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am begining to get the notion that this summit has it in forme, laughing as I approach, chuckling, grinning, saying "come on, keep going, yup a little more, but I don't think so". :)

This marks my fourth attempt over the past 3 years to bag this winter peak. The first time was just an issue with time and group needs. The second and third were impassible, snow to our thighs trying to find the trail, and not enough of us to rotate. Time ran short.

This was probably the best conditions possible, nice day, making good time, wonderful group, so what was the problem?

Well, we certainly want to thank the Boston group for breaking trail and for breaking out the first bushwhack, nice navigating. This certainly gave us a really nice path to the brook in good time. We were thrilled, my heart was leaping with excitement of making this peak a reality, my 48th winter was about to be. Everything seemed so right.

Our issue was that we were so happy following the broken trail that we did so even though it led a bit too far north. What's wrong with that? Well, we were on mark to summit unknown peak which was full of small spruce and lots of snow, yup, spruce traps up to our wazoo. At one point there were three of us stuck with only our heads showing, it was truly pathetic. We did everything possible at that point, we were only about 500 feet from Davis Path. The spruce traps were just too much for us and we made the decision to turn around and end the journey for the summit before things went really bad. We did have GPS and should have headed west to the 3400 mark and gone to the col but we were mesmerized by the broken trail. Those guys and gals made a tremendous effort with map and compass to get where they were, they needless to say were unsuccessful for the summit too.

I want to thank Darlene, Dave and John for giving me their all yesterday. Although the summit eluded me yet again, I am that much richer for the experience. THANK YOU ALL!

There was also quite a group behind us who followed our route to find that it led nowhere. We did try to mark off the trail after the stream crossing off the first bushwhack so no one will follow, hopefully word will get out for these last few days of winter. There was a gentleman who came up as we were heading out to spend the night and try today. I sincerely hope he is successful.

I am free Wednesday and would like to invite anyone who has time or can get the day off of work to come out and give it one last try. The trail is sweetly broken to the brook and we can make some good time. The only issue I see is the weather. Right now it is calling for a wintery mix. If this gets pushed up I am happy to go out and give it one last try this winter, unfortunatley this is the only day I can get out this week. If you are interested in joining me if the forecast picks up, please PM me.

Thanks to all for their support and effort! The peak will still be there waiting for me, I will get it at some point!

Killer spruce traps...

Well, what can I say except I gave it my all. We had a great hike with new friends that gave it their all for Steph's attempt on Isolation. It just wasn't her day for it yet. I hope that day comes this week, but if not I'll be there for you next year for another attempt and bagging of your final 48th Winter summit. ;)

We had laughs, views, and a safe return so it was a great day in the Whites!

The spruce traps just engulfed me up to my neck on 3 occasions and nobody could get to me to help without falling in themselves. Sometimes you just know when the Mountain wins and it wasn't meant to be on that day. I'm 5'4" and when I'm burried up to my neck with my legs straight underneath me it's time to retreat... We couldn't help but laugh at one point when I sunk out of sight, Steph came to help and she when down and soon to follow was John. That was when Dave retreated to more solid footings, we needed one of us above the snow. :rolleyes:

We met others on the trail as Steph said, it's always great to meet new faces. Thanks for breaking out the trail for us as far as you did, we had high hopes.

Steph took the attempt failure well and we all gathered at The Common Man in Lincoln for a celebration dinner for a sucessfull safe hike and another adventure with new stories to tell for another day and more lessons learnt.

Thanks to DaveBear & Paragon for joining us on this adventure on Isolation!

Hikerdd

Pictures...hard to take them when you're burried.

http://www.dotphoto.com/go.asp?l=momdar&SID=203597&Show=Y&p=groton

I guess you would have to call spruce traps insidious. The first one is pretty funny. But, they get unfunny fast. Pleasure hiking and eating with you folks. Great pictures Darl. I'll have time to post photos when we get home from work.

Last edited:
FWIW - the first time I did Isolation we took a similar approach, but were able to persist and thrash our way thru the incredibly dense spruce, find the trail, and make the summit. But, it was 4PM, and made for a long day.

Lessons learned that day include -don't bushwhack to a point south of Isolation as the spruce along the ridge is nearly impenetrable, and if you do make it thru you may well overshoot the trail as it's tough to find south of the peak and sees little travel, especially in winter. The Davis Path south of Isolation tends to slab along the west side of the ridge.

Since that first trip, I've been back several times, but always, more or less, via the trail. The first bushwhack (on the side of Engine Hill) is important not because it saves time (usually doesn't) but because you miss 2 major river crossings. The other tip I'd offer - on the last 1/3 mile before intersecting the Davis Path - stay left, thru what appears to be mostly a blowdown area. You'll never get thru this stuff, except in winter, but if you stay in this drainage you'll intersect the Davis Path. It may not be obvious, but should you start to descend - you've gone too far. The Davis Path is in the middle of the col in this section.

Very nice TR and slideshow Darlene! I had a terrific time hiking with you folks and look forward to next time. Steph, best of luck Wednesday if the weather is on your side and you go! It was an excellent day in the woods, where as usual the mountain rose to challenge us and made us stronger! If #5 attempt is next winter I want in Steph! ;)

Great effort!

Nice report accompanied by two sets of great photos! I especially like the hikers framed in birch trees from John's set. Sometimes the mountain wins... and wins.. and wins. :) Good luck wednesday, I wish I could join you, hope you make it this time!

KDT