Isolation via Glenn Boulder?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

una_dogger

Reaction score
I know this isn't the standard route, but I'm looking at approaching Isolation as an out and back via Glen Boulder to avoid the current high river crossings.

Anyone have any beta on the current conditions?

Thx
Sabrina

I do not have any current conditions at Glen Boulder, yet I did hike Webster Cliff on Saturday and was hiking in slush most of the day. I've done this route to Isolation a few times and did not find it all that bad. I would think that it would be slushy most of the way up to the intersection with the Davis Path. Heading south on the Davis Path might be ok until you enter the woods then I would think you would encounter more slush all the way to Isolation.

I do not have current conditions as I am taking a 2 week slush hiatus which expires on saturday.. I have done this route a few times and while I would expect slush and snow in the woods I would guess it would be better than the crossings etc.. An interesting climb "down" to Isolation from Glen/Davis jct... a less fun climb up on the way out...great views though...enjoy

You probably know this already, but just in case -

By taking the Engine Hill bushwhack, and then staying high on the bank at the next brook crossing for about 50 yards to avoid two more - you can eliminate 4 of the 5 brook crossings.

Thanks, Guys. Hopefully this week's sunny days will excelerate slush melt and consolidate what's left somewhat....wishful thinking!!! ;)

Kevin, I have read alot about the Engine Hill Bushwack off the Rocky Branch Trail, but as I've never been in the area, I would be hesitant to try it without others who know the way. :eek:

una_dogger said:
Kevin, I have read alot about the Engine Hill Bushwack off the Rocky Branch Trail, but as I've never been in the area, I would be hesitant to try it without others who know the way. :eek:
Its pretty easy--you just follow a compass heading or contour from just past the height of land. Stay on the heading until you hit the Isolation Trail--if you miss it, you will hit the river. Part of http://www.voy.com/76694/19.html

Doug

Sabrina -

Doug got it right - it's very straight forward. Shortly after the height of land (maybe 50 yards) bear right and follow a compass bearing. Think of the trails as two legs of an isosceles triangle, and your 'whack is the hypotenuse. So long as you maintain a steady bearing, you'll intersect the trail in about 45-60 minutes, depending upon whether you have to break trail or not.

Kevin

Obviously, I don't have a clue as to current conditions, but....

I did this route to avoid high water crossings in the past. It was a one of the tougher solo day hikes that I did, but so worth it -- some of the best photographs I ever took, taking advantage of the changes in light conditions on the way in and out. Oh, but, let's not forget to mention, I was in rough shape on the final descent!

In retrospect, it was absolutely the right choice. I later did the Rocky Branch route in high water conditions. I never would have made it without my taller hiking partner porting my pack across, then standing in a lifeguard position downstream as I took a running leap of faith sail across the Rocky Branch. The curse of the short-legged!

I did scope out the bushwhack -- there is a faint indication of the route at the point where you should turn heading in on the Rocky Branch Trail. If you're comfortable with this, it's at least an option.

Good luck. Have a great hike! And, yes, I'm jealous and wish I was there!

Brenda!!

Its great to see you here!!!!

Kevin & Doug, I took a look at the map tonight with MJ. It does look very straightforward. Thanks. My concern right now would be the soft deep snow and all the write ups about spruce traps along the bushwack this winter. I recall reading about some folks getting slightly off course and wacking through some pretty nasty spruce traps. Not someplace I want to find myself in really soft conditions. But definately something to try for next winter. :)

Sabrina,

I was on one of those trips and the BW to the brook was great, and very nice. It cut across at 3100ft and was mostly through open birch groves with no spruce traps. The place we went wrong was following someones BW up unnamed peak where we stood at 4000ft and couldn't get through the traps and over to Davis path safely. Check Isolation Odyssey TR especially the GPS track Paradox did for more info. All nice hiking to the brook crossing. Have fun!

Sabrina,

I did Isolation by going in via Ammo and Boot Spur. It also avoided any troublesome stream crossings, but I also did it later in the spring when there were only a few patches of snow left.

When I attempted it in winter via the bushwack described in the link in my earlier post, I had route finding problems close to the peak. Parts of the Davis Path were impassible or dificult to follow in deep drifts.

Doug

I hiked Isolation via Glen Boulder with Steve, Amicus, a.s.o. a couple years ago and loved that trail (we headed out via Davis Path - a long day). Alot of it is exposed and you can get some great views along the way. Quite steep from the beginning, it had us huffin' and puffin' for sure! While the Engine Hill route will doubtless save you some distance, I don't think that's really an issue for you is it? ;)

Thanks to all who responded!

Ok, I have a plan...Isolation via Glen Boulder, return the same -- or via Boot Spurr if the above treeline hiking is so wonderful that another mile or so would be a bonus!

(not the long march I was previously considering)

Ron, sorry I bailed on you guys for saturday, but I'm itching to shorten my NH "short list" and had a three day weekend!

If anyone is interested in getting this peak this weekend, send me a pm or respond here.
:)

And Periwinkle...I sure wish you were coming with us, too! :) :) :)

Last edited:
I am planning on Isolation via the GBT, as opposed to the RBT, before the end of April.

Based on my experience snowshoeing the Hancocks on April 9th, I would not recommend any bushwhacks in the Whites now that the snowpack has gone isothermal, as I was post-holing up to my crotch whenever I lost the hardpack trail, which was often on the Hancock loop (yes, even with snowshoes!).

Sorry for my bad advice about Glen Boulder Trail, Sabrina. Nice meeting you this morning at 19 Mile parking lot. I will save Iso for closer to the end of the month and hope that some of those spruce traps freeze up!

Dr. Dasypodidae said:
Sorry for my bad advice about Glen Boulder Trail, Sabrina. Nice meeting you this morning at 19 Mile parking lot. I will save Iso for closer to the end of the month and hope that some of those spruce traps freeze up!

Oh no worries! It was still a beautiful day to be out in the woods, plenty of spruce traps, lots a'whackin', too much sun but still alot of fun!!!

Weekend tally ended up being Passaconnaway and Tecumsah, as for Isolation...maybe I'll go with you!

:)

Too tired to process pics and write up my reports....stay tuned... :p

Last edited:
Isolation and Owls Head

I plan to try Isolation (via GBT) and Owls Head (via BP bushwhack) this weekend, probably in that order on Saturday and Sunday, 7 a.m. starts, if anyone is interested. Unfortunately, the snowpack is turning bad given the above freezing temperatures at all elevations the past few nights. Hiked Cabot today, but I would not recommend it to anyone at this time. At least the smaller streams at higher elevations are not too deep yet, given the lack of rainfall. I will only have email access until Thursday evening.

Dr. D.