Isolation via Rocky Branch/Engine Hill 12/11/11

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lucky Laura

Reaction score
Set off around 6am up Rocky Branch. No sign of the high winds forecast by the MWO. Trail was mostly bare till near the ridge. Lots of standing water thinly covered by ice up in usual spots. Spectacular sunrise on ridge. At height of land, set off across Engine Hill, which was really wet and spongy everywhere. Some snow covering but boots got sucked by mud and water. Moose tracks everywhere. Love those beautiful glades up there.

Intersected Rocky Branch Trail about 10-15 minutes before 3rd water crossing which was fairly doable with microspikes on for glazed coated rocks. Rocky Branch Trail was very, very wet everywhere. The ice broke frequently, in spite of cool temperatures. Made for a tedious hike- both poles very useful. Many blowdowns just before junction with Davis Path. Can easily see how people lose the trail up here- a blaze now and then would be nice for those not familiar with this area.

Davis Path was easiest section other than first two miles of Rocky Branch Trail. Snow coated trail about 4-6 inches deep. Only tracks were grouses and rabbits.

On return, thought I'd try returning on the trail all the way but 2nd water crossing was impassable and I did not pack the waders! Bushwacked east and then southeast to intersect my tracks from earlier. Returned on trail from Height of Land.

The hike took me at least 90 minutes longer than I expected, though should not be a surprise given it's December.

Sounds like you had a great hike! Nice running into the previous day on Carrigain. So how many left for "December"?

-MEB

Hey, MEB! Great seeing you, too! I have 5 left this month, including Jeff- hoping to do that tomorrow- Tuesday. Hope the weather holds!