Isolation via Rocky Branch

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lost Dad

Reaction score
solation: Rocky Branch, Engine Hill BW, Isolation Trail, Isolation BW, Davis Path, Isolation Spur

Sunday Feb. 19

Group: The “Lost” Family; Jeff, Abby, Sam, Emily & Tucker (the trail dog)

This was the first Winter 4K for our family. After many years of hiking through the western Maine mountains, we decided to work on the NH four thousand footers at a casual pace. We are keeping to that commitment in the slow progress towards our goal. Christmas 2009 saw the arrival of snowshoes for all and a new passion was discovered. Of course, the marriage of the hiking & the new winter gear would lead to some winter peak bagging. Last year we practiced on some lesser peaks in the Maine section of the WMNF. So, I felt that it was time to go after our first winter 4K.
We left the lot at a casual 9:30. Up Rocky Branch was quite a workout for us, we stopped countless times to adjust gear, drink & complain. It took us 2 hours to get to the start of the Engine Hill BW. Across the Engine Hill was beautiful, I only wish that the views weren’t buried in dark clouds. At this point, we were making really good time. All intersections & bushwacks were very clear as there is so much good, current information available. The trail was firm, we all wore microspikes car to car and the snowshoes got a ride today. After a Hiker Ed encounter, we summitted at 2pm. We were very quick on the summit, then back down to regroup at the base of the spur. At this point, we all adjusted gear, we stuffed our pockets with food & we fed the dog. Now, we figured that it was just a long walk back to the lot.
Before we took the turn for the Isolation Trail, Tucker decided that he was done. He literally refused to move. Of course, it is difficult to diagnose the dog. We did not see any obvious signs of trouble, just that he was cold. So, we added an extra fleece coat (he already had on an insulated neoprene body suit) and wrapped him in a blanket (which Abby had the forethought to bring) and started to carry him down the Isolation trail. Fortunately, he is a 17lb Labradoodle so carrying him was an option. We each took turns carrying the dog, passing him down the line as we tired. Once we hit the Engine Hill BW, we thought that he might like to give it another try. We unwrapped him, put him down and off he went, tail high and running like he was fresh out of the parking lot. The rest of the descent was uneventful. We finished @ 5pm for a 7-1/2 hr round trip. Tucker made it back to the lot on his own.
Lessons learned for us included a lot about gear and proper layering. What works for skiing does not work well for hiking, it is simply too warm. Despite good options, the 16 y/o Eagle Scout candidate will still wear jeans-there is nothing that can be said ahead of time, he has to learn that lesson himself (he said that he did). From our prior experience we know that Tucker is prone to ice balls & cold. So, we started him off in his insulated suit & booties. He did very well right up to the summit. I think next time, that we will get the second coat on him before we summit-just like the rest of us geared up as it got colder. And, I think that Tucker will be better off with lots of little snacks rather than one big post summit meal. It was really nice to see the family work together to carry the dog, I have no doubt that we would have made it back to the lot in fine fashion even if we had to carry the dog for the rest of the trip.
All in all, it was a very successful day. I am proud of my family as we each contributed to our first successful winter 4K.

When winter hiking it is important to keep in mind that the smaller the dog the more susceptible he is to the cold. A 17 lbs dog is quite small for winter hiking and should be watched closely. I personally would go at least with the two coats to start with with Tucker and carry a third coat to use if necessary. My 60 lbs Airedale never got cold, my 22 lbs Welsh Terrier does get cold even though they have very similar natural double coats. Which also brings up another factor the type of natural fur coat they have (as distinguished from a coat you purchase) double or single, long or short etc. also makes a difference.

Also, the longer the hike in the winter the more likely that Tucker will feel the cold. Isolation is a long one, so if you do a hike like that with him be very attentive for the first signs of him getting cold. I also find that with small dogs that it is next to impossible to stop for more than a minute or two at a time when it is really cold. If you are in a bright warm sun it can be longer but under most conditions I just keep moving. I plan everything so that whether eating, talking with someone or changing equipment I never stop for more than a couple of minutes. Taking off my spikes and putting on my snowshoes is about the longest I ever stop on a hike even a long one.

Now you were on your way back when he got cold, but I also have another rule and that is no matter where I am, if Lauky is too cold I go back to the car.

There were some good tips in this thread about winter hiking with a dog. You might want to check it out. http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthre...inter-with-a-Lab&highlight=winter+hiking+dogs

Last edited:
Good advice/observations, Ed. Neither my 160lb Newfie Brutus, nor the two Newfies who proceeded him, ever got cold to the best of my knowledge, even to temps down to -35F. I've seen Brutus, in windy, subzero weather, stretch out on the snow with his lower stomach (which had very little hair) on the ground and be very comfortable.

In addition to size, your points about type of coats are also very relevant. Like other cold-weather breeds, Newfs have a double coat, and the undercoat is so dense it's nearly waterproof. What with the lanolin they generate, it's rather difficult to give them a bath.

I commend your attitude about cold and Lauky and continuing a hike. When others hiked with Brutus, I always reminded them "It's all about Brutus. If he stays safe, we're all safe".

Ed & Kevin, Thank you for the advice. Tuckers coat is indeed pretty lightweight for the winter, plus he has none of the natural waterproofing that some breeds have (lab etc.) This is why we have the insulated neoprene coat. It is obvious that we do need to be very careful. We chose yesterday because the forecast was reasonable and the route is not highly exposed. Ed, I an really see that the stopping is part of the problem. Tucker hikes off leash and he is extremely active even if we stop. The pause to eat a dish of food just after we summited was likely a cause of his discomfort. Even so, if it was that easy for him to get cold, we were operating right at the edge of his range of comfort. FYI, Tucker does have some long day hikes under his belt, in all seasons.