It's All In The Feet

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shadowcat

Reaction score
Ok, not to beat a dead horse / issue but as previous threads have proven there's lots of hikers out there with foot pain. I've posted my problems with neuromas and had surgery on my right foot in Feb. where they cut me open and removed the nerve. Yes, the pain is gone - has to be there's no nerve. Well not in that spot anyway. However, there is some residual feeling further up you go as they don't cut out all the nerve endings etc. It's def much better now, altho not painful, the scar tissue sort of feels like this mass of hard tissue in my foot ; weird feeling hard to describe.
Ok so I still have one more bad nerve in the R foot and at least one really bad one in the L. Not looking to cut open my foot again I looked into cryosurgery where they inject you and freeze the nerve. the outer layer, which I guess, is what generates the nerve impulses dies off and no pain impulses get to your brain. Supposedly after time a new layer that is not damaged will regrow. This Dr in Amsterdam is only one of 6 in all of NY that does this kind of surgery. Best part is that I won't be laid up for a month - should be able to hike again in a few days. Sometimes the relief from pain is immediate, sometimes it can take a few days. So I'm off to have this done next Wed. I'll keep ya all posted. In the meantime if anyone out there has had this done or knows anything about the outcome please let me know.

good luck and keep us informed. i also had neuromas removed from one foot, 2 neuromas were were done at once , toes 3/4 4/5 i had that lump feeling for awhile but it went away , it has been years, but i actually forget i had the surgery until i have to fill out forms and such. it was so bad before surgery i had a hard time walking.