Jeffers Brook Shelter Question

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisB

Reaction score
Anybody familiar with the Jeffers Brook Shelter near Moosaluki?

On the map it looks quite close to the North-South Road.

I'd like to "car camp" there Friday night and wondered how long a walk in it is from the parking area.

It's a DOC facility. Any of you Big Green Grads been there recently??

Spencer, Carmel, Metsky?

cb

It's on the AT. The databook shows it 1.1 miles from NH25. I went through there in 2002. I came up from Glencliff where I was staying at the Hikers Welcome Hostel. There was no parking area on NH25 that I recall. There's another secondary road from Glencliff (Sanitarium Rd ?) that goes up and crosses the trail near some open fields (the AT follows a dirt road here a short distance before the paved road). Acording to the AT trail guide this is .3 miles above the shelter. So go up that road and then turn left, downhill, to get to it. This is in a private area so be careful of parking (there is no parking area up here either as I recall).

I have no memory of that shelter. I think the shelter is off the trail on a short spur and I probably went by without looking at it. Book says it holds 10, so that's pretty good sized. It says Jeffers Brook runs right in front of it.

Pb

Last edited:
I tracked down a Mapquest map of the area.

Mapquest of Glencliff (Zoom in one level, to level "3", when the map comes up.)

As I read this map, "North South Road" is a forest service road that starts at the first intersection shown on this map and heads north. The road (paved) out of Glencliff is "High Street", which becomes "Sanitorium Road" after the intersection. The FS Road is labelled "Long Pong Road" on the Mapquest map.

The trail (AT) starts off of NH 25, passes the shelter at 1.1 miles, then hits the FS road and finally comes out on Sanitorium Rd, which is follows for a couple of tenths of a mile and then turns right onto the Glencliff Trail (shown). This is right after a fairly long meadow.

So although the FS road may not be plowed, I'll bet the town roads would be. You could park where the FS road starts (on the left about a mile out of Glencliff) and pick up the trail. The trail would follow the FS road (for about .1 miles) and then make a left turn (downhill). Go down the trail .2 - .3 miles and look for the spur trail (blue blazed) to the shelter.

If you're real lucky, you might drive into the FS road and park at the trail intersection and save .1 miles of hiking.

Pb

Last edited:
The north end of the North-South/Long Pond USFS road is gated, so the south end probably is also. But the distance is negligible, and there isn't deep snow cover here to trudge through. In fact, barely enough at valley floor levels to justify snowshoes.

Yes, the N-S road is gated at that end. There is small parking area plowed out in front of the gate and on the side of the road. You can also park just uphill at the Glencliff trailhead lot, which is plowed.

The shelter is off the AT, but there is an unmarked path almost directly from the trailhead off the N-S Road which cuts the hike in to about 200 yards, but it may be impossible to find in the winter unless it's already broken out.

The shelter was the first one I worked on, back in 1981. It's built with logs from the site, red pine IIRC. The floorplan is roughly 10'x20', one of our bigger shelters. It was almost called Helter Shelter, but wiser minds prevailed.

-dave-

A little help please.

Dave, am thinking about a late night drive up to jeffers brook shelter next week. I would not pull in to glencliff trailhead until 1:00am. My thought was to crash in the shelter and start the real hike at dawn. Can you help me with a little more clear directions from Glencliff to the shelter? Will this be easy to find at night and how long should it take from the shelter.

Also, with all the rain that we have had this week, do I need snow shoes or cramptons?

Thanks again!

rainmain said:
Dave, am thinking about a late night drive up to jeffers brook shelter next week. I would not pull in to glencliff trailhead until 1:00am. My thought was to crash in the shelter and start the real hike at dawn. Can you help me with a little more clear directions from Glencliff to the shelter? Will this be easy to find at night and how long should it take from the shelter.

Also, with all the rain that we have had this week, do I need snow shoes or cramptons?

Thanks again!

This is my memory from last summer, but here it goes. You can road walk the small section of North South Rd (prob 1/10 of a mile or so...it is on the left, and its a dirt road) Soon on the left you will come up to the Town Line Trail. Follow that for a few hundred yards until you come to a spur path on the right. (I can't remember if there is a sign for Jeffers Brook Shelter) Its pretty self explanatory there though as you follow it to the shelter. I was there this summer with a summer camp and we fit lots of kids in it for lunch (prob 20 kids and some counselors) so it is pretty big. If the directions are incorrect, someone chime in.

here is a Jeffers Brook Shelter Pic

I guess there is a sign but we were coming from south to north. Regardless there is a sign and you should find it with no problem.

hope this helps

grouseking

There is no sign on the cutoff trail to the shelter as it's not an official trail. We used it while building the shelter and it hasn't gone away. With snow on the ground it may be somewhat difficult to spot, but once you are on it you should have no problem finding the shelter. It's probably less than .1 miles long and comes out behind and to the left of the shelter.

You can park in front of the Town Line trailsign, there's a small area that'll fit a few cars, or just drive up the Santorium Road a little further and park at the much larger lot for the Glencliff trail.

-dave-

From NH 25, drive north 1 mile on the North-South Road, which is open at this time of year. Just after you go over the Jeffers Brook bridge, you'll see the Town Line Trailhead parking lot on your left. There is ample parking there for the number of people who might show up at this time of year. From the trailhead, it is .15 miles into the shelter and, yes, the righthand turnoff to the shelter is marked with a sign (JB02). Indeed almost everything is marked at this shelter including detour directions for SoBos to avoid crossing the Jeffers Brook in high water conditions. The shelter sits in a beautiful red pine grove, although the decor may be white this weekend. It's up on 18" concrete pilings, with a convenient short staircase, so the snow won't likely have drifted in.

Waumbek, when was that photo of the sign marking the cutoff taken? It's new, at least in the past 4 years or so.

-dave-

thanks everyone!

Do you think that I will need snowshoes for this trip? Also, where do I fill up for water at the shelter? Lastly, how long do you think it should take to reach the summit from Glencliff? We will be spending two nights there, so I have some time.

I doubt snowshoes, but be prepared for slippery conditions. Some sort of traction devices may be useful. Without knowing how fast you hike it's pretty hard to guess times. It's 8+ miles, some above treeline, and snowy/icy conditions.

Water is from the Jeffers Brook, out in front of the shelter. I'd treat, filter, or boil.

-dave-

Thanks again

Do you know anything about the river crossings on or around glencliff. From the map it looks like there are at least three. Do think that will be an issue with all the rain?

David Metsky said:
Waumbek, when was that photo of the sign marking the cutoff taken? It's new, at least in the past 4 years or so.

-dave-

Summer 2005.

All river crossings remain high in this area. Snow amounts varied widely locally, from 6-8" in Franconia at 1200' to over a foot in Twin Mountain and considerably more at higher elevations, although there should be melt off in the next few days, which will continue to impact stream crossings.

what are my camping options on Moosilauke?

Am I limited to the shelters? Is there any available sights near hurricane mountain?