John Hayes

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Grayjay

Reaction score
I normally wouldn't write in the New York section, since I am a White Mountain groundhog, but myself and my hiking buddy Bob Gordon are concerned about somebody.
About a month ago, John Hayes from North Conway drove out to a meeting of the ADK at Adirondack Loj. He hasn't come back. I e-mailed the Loj the other day and got a swift response. John had been taken to the Adirondack Medical Center by ambulance after a couple day's stay. About a week ago, a nurse came back to the Loj and took his belongings, saying he was doing better.
John's car remains at the Loj today.
We called the medical center, and they said that there was no one there by that name. They also could not give us anymore information.
This is pretty much a dead end. If he has passed, which is possible considering his medical condition, then eventually we will find out as I am in touch with his landlord on this subject.
However if anyone has anything to relate on the subject, it would be appreciated. I have only been on a few hikes with John, but Bob has been on many, and he would appreciate any info.

With a suggestion, I called the Ny State Police. Thanks.

It may also be worth calling other hospitals in the area. From the information you've posted, it sounds like he may have been moved to another hospital. With HIPPA laws, it's really difficult to find out information about hospitalized individuals, unfortunately, unless the person has given the hospital the okay to give that information out.

Burlington, VT

If it's a serious condition most patients get moved to the Burlington Medical Center in Vermont...

Hope everything works out.

The state police were very helpful. He is still at Adrondack Medical Center. Thanks all for your support.

poison ivy said:
With HIPPA laws, it's really difficult to find out information about hospitalized individuals, unfortunately, unless the person has given the hospital the okay to give that information out.
Zowie!

I recently had an out-of-state hospital call me for billing information for a relative of mine who had been camping in that area, however they were not allowed to tell me if that person was there or being treated!! This would seem to have the makings of a nice scam, but at the time I was far more concerned about the person than the bill!! Fortunately the billing clerk called the relative's room and they were able to talk to me on the phone and in fact by then were ready for discharge, but imagine the situation if the injury had been more serious.

Yes, we have this $20k bill for you to pay but we can't tell you why!!

RoySwkr said:
Zowie!

I recently had an out-of-state hospital call me for billing information for a relative of mine who had been camping in that area, however they were not allowed to tell me if that person was there or being treated!! This would seem to have the makings of a nice scam, but at the time I was far more concerned about the person than the bill!! Fortunately the billing clerk called the relative's room and they were able to talk to me on the phone and in fact by then were ready for discharge, but imagine the situation if the injury had been more serious.

Yes, we have this $20k bill for you to pay but we can't tell you why!!

I cannot even begin to tell you how ****ed up the HIPPA laws are and their interpretation by some hospitals. I can't be kind about this.

I have actually had a trooper follow my ambulance to the hospital. He watched me wheel my patient/his prisoner into the emergency room. Bring him to a room and 10 minutes later he asks a nurse where he is and they won't admit he is even in the hospital. He will tell them he followed him in and watched us wheel him through the doorway so he knows that he is in the hospital and they still won’t admit to it.

The level of stupidity because of the HIPPA laws is absolutely stunning. It has all hospital personnel and administrators’ so scared that they take the safest route and say nothing.

And those laws apply to us also. And I cannot even legally tell a parent about an 18 y/o child without him/her giving me permission first or even a husband to wife and vis-a-versa. Even if they are the payor.

Like I said the level of this stupidity is absolutely stunning.

Keith

Last edited:
Hippa

I think HIPPA is a good thing, if used correctly!
who wants personal medical information released to people that you dont wish to share it with?
i will admit, the guidelines are tough to follow and confuse medical staff.

Status
Not open for further replies.