Joshua Tree National Park

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LittleBear

Reaction score
I will be likely attending a conference in Long Beach mid-March, and thought it might be nice to take a few extra days and drive to Joshua Tree and do some camping and hiking. Does anyone know of any "must do" hikes or areas of the park that should be seen that could help me in my trip planning?

Or is there another area of California (within a reasonable driving distance of Long Beach) I should explore instead?

Little Bear

A quick Google search turned up this... seems like a good fly-over, based on my annual (non-hiking) trips to Joshua Tree over the past 15 or so years:

http://www.joshua.tree.national-park.com/hike.htm

We visit every year, typically in the spring, and end up doing a driving tour (elderly relative who is an area resident). Honestly, the fact that we go back every year, even if it's only for the same drive, tells you how stunning Joshua Tree is. For what it's worth, my kids love the rock-scrambling at Skull Rock and other stops.

For mid-March, you could hit a variety of weather in Joshua Tree -- it gets surprisingly cool there, and we've even seen a little snow from time to time. If you're going for more than just a short hike, please do make sure you're properly equipped for conditions (plenty of water, etc.).

I was at Joshua Tree last year. Nice place and Palm Springs is nearby too. I did a half-dozen or so smallish walks, probably nothing over 3 mi. I'd recommend a guide book from this guy - http://www.jameskaiser.com. I got his books for 3 different parks and this guy is right on the money.

The most memorable part of the trip for me was driving by the Marine base in 29 Palms, CA, and looking at all of the tributes strung up on the chain link fence surrounding the base. Very humbling...

Marty will probably put in his $.02 on this. He was out there about a month before me and spent more time there than I did.

Hi Kris,

please see my TR:

http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?t=21070&highlight=quinta

Lauren and I loved the Indian Canyons near Palm Springs. Joshua Tree was nice, too. The Lost Horse Mine loop was best. We were going to go back there again this winter, but my work commitments got in the way :(. I had big plans for hitting the Santa Rosa Mountains, near La Quinta, CA.

PM me if you want to discuss in detail.

Marty

People who are really into bouldering/rock climbing love Joshua Tree. If this is your first time to SoCal, you might consider driving a bit further east and then north into Death Valley. Lots to see there, and camping is plentiful. I would also commend driving north on US395 to at least Lone Pine, or better yet Independence. Mile for mile, this section of the Sierra is about the most beautiful mountain range I've ever seen.

There's a new hostel in Lone Pine that inexpensive and gets rave reviews. PM me if you want more info.

Mid-March is a good time to visit the upper Mojave Desert - wildflowers should be peaking.

Lost Palms Oasis was my favorite hike at Joshua. Not too crowded, some of the best wildflowers in the park, and very interesting ( and shaded) palm oasises. There is one "extra" oasis if you do a little boulder scrambling at the turn around oasis.

Make sure to pack in all your water - what little exists in the park is for the animals! ( and the 50 zillion nearby golf courses ...).

I loved the park, but found the pollution levels and smog truly depressing. It's really a shame.

Joshua Tree has experienced the highest ozone pollution level of any park in the National Park System. For the first time at any of California’s desert parks—Joshua Tree, Death Valley, and Mojave National Preserve—Joshua Tree has installed signs at three of the park’s entrances to alert visitors to and staff about the severity of health threats from poor air quality.

Joshua Tree is spectacular and there are many wicked cool campsites that abut huge boulders. I would put the Park in the Life List "must-see" category. Really a unique area and about as 180 out from the Whites as you can imagine. Even for a non-rock climber, it's fun to scramble around on the easier boulders; the hiking, however, is pretty tame.

I second the Death Valley suggestion. Telescope and Wildrose Peaks are must-dos, as is the drive thru Titus Canyon.

Alternately, you could drive upcoast about an hour from LA/Long Beach and check out the Santa Monica Mtns. (The Ray Miller Trail is the single coolest trail I've ever been on.) A bit further, and a little inland, is the community of Ojai which has miles of trails and mtns. a little higher than Mt. Washington. PM me if you want me to play tour guide. :)

Last edited:
Death Valley

I have spent a week in Jtree and been all over. My suggestion for March is Death Valley. It is a wild place and no fun to visit in Summer. Plus I-395 has my vote for most scenic hwy in America. I just keep going back.

I was at a conference in LA and drove out to Death Valley with a borrowed blanket, slept on the sand dunes and awoke to a magical sunrise. Well worth it.

Across the hwy is the ride up top Whitney Portal which passes the Alabama Hills (as cool as Jtree and the film site of over 400 westerns) and the awesome long road up to the Mt. Whitney trailhead.

Death Valley to Whitney is relatively close and takes you from the lowest point in the US to the highest in the 49.

Enjoy!

Thanks for all of the input and suggestions. I have been to Death Valley and climbed Wild Rose Peak and almost to the top of Corkscrew Peak. I really enjoyed the area, but thought I would like to explore something new this time.

Still gathering ideas, etc. Keep them coming!

Kris,

One other area Lauren and I were planning to explore was Idylwild. We were looking to combine a drive from Palm Springs, lunch, sightseeing and a short hike. Might be worth considering. Perhaps Kevin R. or someone familiar with Idylwild could add comments.

Here is one link. Google will get you more: http://www.idyllwildchamber.com/

Marty

Kris,

One other area Lauren and I were planning to explore was Idylwild. We were looking to combine a drive from Palm Springs, lunch, sightseeing and a short hike. Might be worth considering. Perhaps Kevin R. or someone familiar with Idylwild could add comments.

Here is one link. Google will get you more: http://www.idyllwildchamber.com/

Marty

I'm not familiar with Idyllwild per se as exploring in that area is a helleva long daytrip when there's so much exploring available further north where I live. Having said that - I have been on San Jacinto a couple of times from the Palm Springs side (rather than Idyllwild), once in winter and once in summer, and it presents some rather different views. Mid-march is probably a bit too early to climb it all the way from Palm Springs (this is one of those epic "Cactus to Clouds" hikes for the insane - something like 11K' of vertical in a day). Here's the deal with San Jacinto - there's a tram that will take you up to 8K, and from there you can hike to the summit at 11K, and it's about an 11 miler, RT. In mid-March you probably won't need snowshoes, but I'd carry some crampons just in case. A permit is required, but they're self-issuing at the Ranger station located just beyond the tram station. Do take a map as the trail(s) are confusing due to the number of tram tourists creating winter trails to nowhere. The tram ticket is about $20, round trip. And yes, it's kinda weird taking a tram up to 8K, then hiking up to 11K, then taking a tram back down from 8K, but this is LaLa Land, the home of Bob Hope and Bing Crosby, and you can see their homes on the bus tour. Somehow it seems to fit.

Here's the deal with hiking all the way from the bottom (about 200' elevation) - it's usually done via a well-defined use trail beginning at the Museum in the pre-dawn hours (it's pretty hot there during the day in the lower elevations). However, once the snows begin (and they have) there's usually snow above 7K', and it can get pretty tricky in the 500' below the tram. More than one skilled person has died in that section as there's a steep chute, and if you slip and are not roped in - let's just say it's a Class 5 section in winter. Usually by late April the snow on the "trail" (it's not an officially maintained trail) is gone, and the last bit is simply a steep dirt climb - no big deal. Once people reach the tram they take it back to the bottom (after all, they have climbed 8K') but a few continue on to the summit, then back to tram for the ride down. It's rather unusual for anyone to go from bottom to top and return in a day, but it's been done. And, keep in mind that if you start at the Museum you'll need to hire a taxi from the tram base. On a weekend there are often others doing it so you split the fare.

Certainly not your run-of-the-mill NH White Mtn hike, but hey - this is the place where Sonny Bono was mayor.