June 7, 2014 National Trails Day - Cross Vermont Trail

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoySwkr

Reaction score
Lots of people have hiked the length of Vermont but this group [crossvermont.org] are building a multi-use trail the width. My mother said it would be easier to do from Sherburne Pass as it's halfway built already, but the chosen route follows the Winooski and Wells Rivers. Where possible they are using the old Montpelier and Wells River Railroad grade, but the land reverted to the abutters when the railroad was abandoned over half a century ago - my parents used to own part of it next to their house. Some has been used for highways or otherwise built on and one section was mined for its gravel content. Apparently I-91 was built right across without a culvert which blocked an E-W snowmobile trail, so the state had to build a passage under a bridge which allegedly cost $500,000.

Oh, the hike. We pruned one section along the railroad grade past some beaver workings, plus some nature trails built by the local school which had posts with descriptions of local plants and animals. One Americorps guy who was a strong worker and used to poison ivy went ballistic when he found 10 ticks on himself. (I only found one on me, and not until taking a bath at home.)