just an idea :lightbulb:

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ADackR

Reaction score
hey we need more trail condition reports.......the snow is starting to fly and any info about trails around the northeast is only a great thing...

i've noticed the trail conditions page after a weekend doesn't get the attention that it used to.... i know that i have slacked off as with many others....i'm hoping that we can urge ourselves and others to post about what they see out there...anything really...

like, was anyone in the flowed lands via UW this past weekend and could give me an update of snow depth.....

Not sure about others but I tend not to put reports up on trail conditions until about this time of year unless I come across something unusual. And even then I won't write one if there is another one on the same trail and I don't have anything new to offer.

I haven't been posting any trail conditions, because I haven't been on any tails since early October. Now that hunting season is over, I can turn my attention from looking for deer back to doing some hikes. Can't wait to strap the snowshoes on.

It's sort of shoulder season in hiking, too, so maybe that's part of it. There are a lot of "trip reports" that formerly might have appeared on "trail conditions" so that could contribute to it, too. How do people decide when to post it as a thread on the trip reports as opposed to the trail conditions?

I'll be posting mine soon for the White Mountains in NH and various spots in Western Maine. I've taken the last couple of weeks off from hiking to take of other stuff, but now it's over, so BRING ON THE SNOW!!!!! :)

Stan said:
... How do people decide when to post it as a thread on the trip reports as opposed to the trail conditions?
I often do both. The trail Conditions entry is "quick and dirty" and I'll often do it only for bushwhacks or winter. Who needs another trail condition for Bondcliff in summer?

But OTOH I tend to put a lot of effort into trip reports. After all, they are primarily for me. So I put a lot of narative in and links to pictures etc. I usually first put them here and in an email to my friends. Then they eventually get put on my web site.

Pb

yeah, i understand what everyone is saying about duplicate trail coverage... i was just noticing a general fall of the amount of trail reports, just thinking back to when i was only using this site to look for trail conditions... i myself have not posted as many reports as i use to...

maybe there is a change or shift in hiking areas, i've noticed a large influx of catskill trail reports in the past months... maybe the ratio of caskill reports to adk reports can also be seen in the NH and VT trail conditions page....it could just very well be that not many people are in the ADK's right now as much as they used to be in the past 2-3 years?!?!?

just thinking....hopefully more reports will come out and not just the high peaks region, i know my self that i'm all over the place in the winter....

happy hiking everyone

and doc, you know we'll pass each other at some point.....