Just for fun: A quiz for mountain lovers

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billski

Reaction score
In the winter I change my mountain objective from hiking up mountains to skiing down them. In that spirit, I came upon a little quiz about northern New England notches.

I've got a list of a dozen questions. One at a time. let's get started!

Q: Willard and Bunnell Notches are considered to be the White Mountain region's two most northerly notches, both being situated in the isolated Killkenny Mountains north of Route 2. Which White Mountain notches are farthest to the south, east and west?

:confused:

A: Farthest south is Sandwich Notch, made famous by Elizabeth Yeat's historical novel, The Road through Sandwich Notch. Farthest east is Albany Notch in western Maine, near the Crocker Pond area. Oliverian Notch in the Warren-Benton area is the westernmost notch and is passed through by Route 25 between East Haverhill and Warren.

You guys are good!

Q2: There are more notches around these hills than one would probably surmise. Using a White Mountain National Forest map as my source, I've identified twenty-four such notches. How many can you name?

Bear Notch, Bunnell Notch, Carlton Notch, Carrigan Notch, Carter Notch, Crawford Notch, Dickey Notch, Edmunds Col, Franconia Notch, Hancock Nothch, Hunters Pass, Jefferson Notch, Kancamangus Pass, Kinsman Notch, Livermore Pass, Lost Pass, Mad River Notch, Oliverian Notch, Perkins Notch, Pinkham Notch, Sandwich Notch, Thornton Gap, Trident Pass, Willard Notch, Zealand Notch, Zeta Pass..

That's 26...

Bear Notch, Bunnell Notch, Carlton Notch, Carrigan Notch, Carter Notch, Crawford Notch, Dickey Notch, Edmunds Col, Franconia Notch, Hancock Nothch, Hunters Pass, Jefferson Notch, Kancamangus Pass, Kinsman Notch, Livermore Pass, Lost Pass, Mad River Notch, Oliverian Notch, Perkins Notch, Pinkham Notch, Sandwich Notch, Thornton Gap, Trident Pass, Willard Notch, Zealand Notch, Zeta Pass..

That's 26...

Hey wait you forgot Bald Mt. Notch in Nash Stream area and though not on a map Dixville...then Tyler Notch, Haystack Notch, Miles Notch, Evans Notch, and which Carlton Notch did you mean???

I've never found the Kanc pass to have that "notchy" feeling many of the others seem to have...

Q2: Answer

Q2: A:

Albany, Bear, Bunnell, Carlton (two, actually) Carrigan, Carter, Crawford, Dickey, Evans, Franconia, Jefferson, Kinsman, Hancock, Haystack, Mad River, Miles, Olverian, Perkins, Pinkham, Sandwhich, Tyler, Willard and Zeland Notches. One might also include Mahoosuc and Grafton Notches in far western Maine as being among the White Mountain Notches, while some people also refer to the pass between Mt. Cough and Mt. Moosilauke in Easton as Tunnel Brook notch, although it's not designated that way on my WMMF map. One could argue also that Jakes and White Notches, both situated in the eastern Mahoosucs of Maine, should be included here as they appear on the WMNF map, but technically They aren't in the White mountains.
M. D.

Last edited:
Q3:

Q3: The valley leading from the north into a particular notch was once home to what one late-nineteenth-century writer termed "the crookedest..and...steepest" logging railroad line in New England. Through what notch did this railroad run?
MD

I've never found the Kanc pass to have that "notchy" feeling many of the others seem to have...

I posed a question once about the difference between a notch and a pass. Explanation was that a pass is wider than it is high, or something to that effect.

Maybe someone can better define the difference for us.

Q3: The valley leading from the north into a particular notch was once home to what one late-nineteenth-century writer termed "the crookedest..and...steepest" logging railroad line in New England. Through what notch did this railroad run?
MD

Zealand Notch

Q5:

Q5: Most hikers heading into this rugged White Mountain notch will trek in from the west, but it's also entered easily from the southeast by the less-used Wildcat River Trail. what notch is this?

Q5: Most hikers heading into this rugged White Mountain notch will trek in from the west, but it's also entered easily from the southeast by the less-used Wildcat River Trail. what notch is this?

Carter Notch

I posed a question once about the difference between a notch and a pass. Explanation was that a pass is wider than it is high, or something to that effect.

Maybe someone can better define the difference for us.
I don't know the official rule used by geographers, in the Whites it's just whatever somebody decided to call it