Justice Souter & White Mtns Hiking

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Peakbagr

Reaction score
I'm currently reading a biography of Supreme Court Justice Souter. He is a resident of Weare,NH, and while I was aware he was a hiker, one of the book's citations mentions that he completed the NH Peaks.

Souter's enigmatic personality has always interested me and I'm wondering if any around here have run into him on the trails, or have any stories to share?

I've avoided ANY political discussion of the Justice, or the current Supreme Court goings-on and hope any contributors follow suit.

Thanks,
PB

As long as he has to endure the same waiting game for the process of getting his scroll and patch as Joe Ordinary, I'm ok with him out there.

judge

I met him once on Mt. Washington, I was climbing up Lions head and he was behind me a few feet, he saw me taking my ice ax off my pack and preceded to lecture me on how only poles where needed in the Whites and that I was just trying to look cool. I then threw him off into tucks. :eek: Let he who judge be judged.

Peakbagr-- which bio? If its a good one I'd like to read it.

I'm told he and the late Justice Douglas have both completed the NH4K's. He's a member of Piscataquog Watershed Association (our local land trust here -- Weare is the next town over from me). I hope he gets enough time to get away from DC and enjoy this state of ours.

Blueridge, love your avatar

Hey, Whiny Diver, that'll teach you to mess with Derian Hatcher. And, who taught you how to throw that punch at Forsberg, Dom DeLuise?

arghman,

Thanks for the serious reply. The bio is called "David Hackett Souter" by Tinsley Yarbrough. Its a serious biography written by a law professor, and it begins with the Justice's childhood, schooling, and work in the NH AG's office which is where I'm at in the book right now. Pretty good read so far.

Justice Douglas was also a hiker. He was another favorite of mine, and his out-of-chambers hiking activities first came to my attention.

PB

Last edited:
political figures

met janet reno at the N.O.C. this past spring!! :D :D :D :D :D

Status
Not open for further replies.