Kanc roadwalk between PB and Sabbaday?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trainwreck

Reaction score
Does anyone know the distances between the Pine Brook TH and Sabbaday TH? I am hoping to do this loop sometime soon, and will not have a car spot.
Not a big fan of roadwalks, but it will be just part of the hike.
Thank you.
Sandy

Hmmm, I don't remember the mileage off hand but I've done that road walk before as part of the loop and it wasn't bad. I'm thinking maybe it was a mile?
-vegematic

1.1 miles according to MapSource and my trailhead waypoints.

Added later: Steve Smith and Mike Dickerman, in their The 4000-Footers of the White Mountains give the distance as 1.0 miles. Take your pick :)

Last edited:
Bring your bike! I lock mine up all the time at the higher elevation trailhead. One of the most lucrative is locking it at Pinkham and riding all the way downhill to Gorham after hiking the Carter-Cat Ridges.

Road walks with dogs

While I would prefer the road walk at the start of the hike, my dog has the opposite point of view. At the start of a hike, he is too anxious to hit the trail to endure an on-leash road walk. By the end of a long hike, he is generally pretty tired and can deal with being on-leash. So I always end up suffering through the seemingly endless post-hike road walk.

I find that road walks are a lot more tolerable if done at the start of the hike, while you are still fresh. At the end of a long day even a short road walk can be very annoying; early in the morning you hardly notice it.
Haha. I actually prefer if the other way around. At the end of the day you're just stuck with it. Usually more motivation to jog it.

FWIW, I've done that road walk but from Downes Brook (~3 miles, I think) and it's easy.

-Dr. Wu

Haha. I actually prefer if the other way around. At the end of the day you're just stuck with it. Usually more motivation to jog it.

Same here. I'd rather be stuck with it at the end of the day. If it's a good road, you can lose the boots, too. PB to SB is a flat, easy mile.

Same here. I'd rather be stuck with it at the end of the day. If it's a good road, you can lose the boots, too. PB to SB is a flat, easy mile.
Yeah, same here... I usually lose the clothes too and slather myself with bacon grease.

Maybe you can hitch a ride.

-Dr. Wu

I find that road walks are a lot more tolerable if done at the start of the hike, while you are still fresh. At the end of a long day even a short road walk can be very annoying; early in the morning you hardly notice it.

Road walks can be annoying anytime but I always try to do them last

* If something happens so I don't do the loop, I never have to do it at all

* If it gets dark on me, I'd (usually) rather be walking on the road

And yes I walked between SB and PBB one evening, about a mile and I couldn't hitch a ride

Yeah, same here... I usually lose the clothes too and slather myself with bacon grease.

Maybe you can hitch a ride.

-Dr. Wu

If catching a greased up Wu is anything like pig wrestling, you can count me out! :eek:

I've had good luck with the hitchhiking and have been concerned (as a walker) with how fast the cars go on the Kanc. No biggie, but it was a definite heads-up situation. Good luck!

Does anyone know the distances between the Pine Brook TH and Sabbaday TH? I am hoping to do this loop sometime soon, and will not have a car spot.
Not a big fan of roadwalks, but it will be just part of the hike.
Thank you.
Sandy

I did this walk when I climbed the Trips a couple years ago, I think if you look you'll find a trip report on this site. The mileage is already posted on this thread, and the Kanc has broad enough shoulders for safe walking along that stretch. I went up Sabbaday and down Pine Bend, so I was roadwalking downhill at the end of the day.

If I did that hike again - I would probably just go up and down Sabbaday. It's a lovely trail.

Enjoy your hike

Last edited:
FWIW< the river crossings on Sabbaday can be really tough so I'd aim for a time when its been dry for a few days.

IMHO, Up South Slide (not North) and down Scar is a gentler route than the one you are planning, even with the slide...and no road walk involved. The South Slide is a sandy/rubbly slide with very little in the way of bare slab or exposure.

Happy Trails!

Last edited:
Just did North & South Slides last weekend: if you can enjoy the exposure, they're AWESOME! They were quite dry enough and were about as challenging -- and doable -- as the previews led me to believe. There was no way I was doing the Trips some other way, and I was not disappointed. Highly recommended!