Katahdin 3/15-3/19/13

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jake L.

Reaction score
Fantastic adventure with a solid crew of six! We arrived a few days after some heavy rains making the approach a spicey luge run with XC skis. Days were sunny with highs of 15F, nights were clear and cold around -2F making for fun winter camping in the lean-to's. Still a solid base on the upper part of the mountain, Chimney Pond had 5' on the ground. Good skiing in and around Cathedral Ridge and The Saddle with a little help from some windblown. I'll let the pictures tell the rest. See below:

Let the slog begin!
DSC00275.JPG

Our first glimpse of her
DSC00267.JPG

Basin Pond and North Basin
DSC00287.JPG

Chimney Pond, Baxter Peak and Knifes Edge
DSC00312.JPG

Moon over camp
DSC00324.JPG

Snow seeking
DSC00337.JPG

Nice turns on "South Saddle Gully", angled line leading to the rock buttress on the right
DSC00343.JPG

St. Paddy's Day Revelry
DSC00347.JPG

Cathedral to Hamlin
DSC00354.JPG

Continued below:

Heading up The Saddle
DSC00357.JPG

Saddle Pano
DSC00360.JPG

Topping out
DSC00370.JPG

Transitioning
DSC00373.JPG

Hamlin and Chimney Pond
DSC00385.JPG

Homeward Bound
DSC00393.JPG

Beautiful! My husband and his buddy left early thursday, skiied in and wanted to ice climb friday. His friend's crampon broke on one short ice climb they were doing and the avalanche danger and white out conditions forced them to leave Saturday since conditions were n't improving.

Gorgeous pics, looks like an amazing trip. Do you hang your stove like that even while cooking? Cool..
Thanks, we all had a blast! I don't typically hang my stove when cooking (sometimes in a tent) but did so on this trip to fit the candle beneath the fuel canister. The candle warmed the canister just enough for it to work VERY efficiently in the cold. My buddys were a bit leary of this at first :confused: but the canister never even got warm to the touch.