Katahdin: How late in the Season?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blueridge

Reaction score
I know that MANY different variables go into making a good (safe) hike on Katahdin. I have a week off in early October, what are the chances of the weather being coperative? What is the weather like in general at lower elevations in early October? We were in Millinocket in mid-May and all the trails to the top were still closed. We may also spend some time in Acadia on the trip, when is the height of the fall tourist season, I really don't want to fight the crowds.

thanks all
jim

October is a perfect time to go (before the 15th when the park closes).

few tourists and cool, bug-free days.

It's possilbe you'd find a snowstorm, but there won't be any accumlation yet.

May is another story b/c K gets dumped on the whole winter and it takes so long for the melt up high. The shoulder seasons are very different from each other.

cheers,
spencer

October is generally a beautiful time to be there. The temps can still be mild, or cool and crisp. Nice either way.

Good chance for snow flurries. If it snows more than that, and sometimes it does, they may close all trails above treeline.

My only two trips were on Columbus Day Weekend. They actually CLOSED the mountain on one of them. We went up anyway...as did quite a few thru-hikers that day. You will probably see a few thru-hikers as some have to bust their butts a bit to make sure they make it by then.

The bugs are gone, and while it's usually just past peak foliage, it's still an awesome time. Acadia might be a bit closer to busy time as the foliage will be closer to big colors then.

Love your avatar!!

once schools start back up in september, acadia is not that busy, just a few leaf peepers and tourists. It will be pretty busy on the weekends, but the weekdays will be relatively crowd free. Katahdin should be ok but chilly, really depends on what kind of wacky weather we get. Sometimes it is highs of 70 sometimes the high temps are 40, who knows.

Early October can be a great time to hike Katahdin. Sounds like your time window is still before the Park's overnight camping season ends on Oct 15th, so watch the weather (or better phone the Park) and use the 10-days-in-advance-over-the-phone-with-credit-card-reservation-deal to pick your date. You can still day hike after the 15th, don't forget!

Teej

Early October is the best time of the year to go to BSP. No bugs, mild temps, the moose are rutting, and the first week in October is typically peak foliage so the views are spectacular! I have climbed Katahdin every year for the past 11 years during the last weekend in Sept to Columbus Day Weekend and the weather has always been good (usually perfect!) I have also never seen snow there during this time, but I am sure it is possible...

I have been to Baxter Park in mid-October. There was a few inches of snow overnight and the first day all above-treeline trails were closed including North Brother. But they let us do the O-J-I loop where I hurt my hand on the now-closed N Slide.

The next day the Knife Edge was closed but they let us do the Abol Trail. It was foggy and I didn't see another hiker all day. The ranger said he thought some people had snuck across the Knife Edge. The rangers are more strict than the weather, you need to decide whether to risk fines and expulsion more than danger on top.

Mid-October is a great time for Acadia. The weather is ideal, foliage is better, and the Bar Harbor shops are having end-of-year clearance. Wish I could go!

I checked my notes and Columbus Day weekend of 2000 it snowed (just a couple of inches) and all trails on Katahdin were closed. You could go as far as Chimney Pond and that was it. This is the only time I have had this happen in eleven trips, ten of which were on Columbus Day weekend. It is definitely a very fine time to go.

We were there the second week of October back in 1996, and it got down to 30 degrees one night and 18 the next. We spent that night in a motel in Millinocket. There was a bit of snow, not much, and a tree blew down and almost hit my car as we were driving out of the park.

Both times I've climbed The Mountain were in October.

I stayed there once in early-mid October a few years ago. Zero bugs and temps were perfect to sleep outside... no tent or lean-to. Just me and my sleeping bag. We had good weather for climbing Katahdin also. The weather isn't as volatile that time of year, but is still unpredictable. Best of luck!

I have camped at least 6x in Acadia during the 10 day period before and including the Columbus day holiday. The Seawall campground is closed and it has been my experience that they also close half of Blackwoods. Some of the private campgrounds are also closed for the season. There are coin operated showers just across the street from Blackwoods which are open 24 hrs. I hate crowds and I keep returning during this period of time because it's nothing like July and August.
I think it's a great time of the year to go and the visuals are incredible. The leaves are normally peaking over the holiday. I have also enjoyed the 2 hr horse and carriage ride up Day Mountain at sunset. If you want to go book it early. It fills up fast.
I don't think you would be disappointed if you went there during that period of time.
Happy trails.

Thanks for all your GREAT information!

Thanks to you all, we have decided to head to Katahdin and Acadia the first week of October, we are keeping our fingers crossed that we have good weather, if not we will still have a blast, Maine is the best state, period.

thanks again

GO STEELERS!

Snow isn't the only thing that can lead to closures

We went a few years ago with a large gang of people around the Columbus Day weekend, and while I don't think it had snowed recently, nights were cold and I believe as a result of freezing rains stuff above treeline had a nice verglas (there's a word I like to squeeze into conversation and don't get to very often ;-)). That was enough for the rangers to close all above-treeline routes and they seemed fairly serious about the closures being a hard-and-fast rule vs. a recommendation. We didn't tempt them too much and since some people in our party were dying by the time we got to the treeline (we had a very mixed group with probably 2:1 differential between the fastest people and the slowest people), we poked a bit further and turned around.

That said, even with the disappointment of not being able to get above treeline, the weather during the day was gorgeous, the foliage was amazing and in general it was a fabulous weekend, even including my failed attempts to keep my wife from stalking a moose cow with a calf (fortunately, the cow was feeling generous and didn't let her have it).

I'd still highly recommend it, it was really a marvelous time of year to be up there, even if stuff above treeline happens to be closed.

One more thought: Baxter Park used to require that you start a Katahdin hike before a certain time, and in mid-October it was 9 am. But you couldn't start before the 7 am weather forecast, and that day they said we couldn't leave until 8 to give the snow time to melt. That isn't much flexibility in time, and because of the late start and side trips to the North & South peaks we were down late and still had to drive home.

Baxter Park must be great if you either believe in their rules or cheerfully ignore them, for me it is just plain frustrating.

True spencer...

It also helps to get to know the rangers (something it took me a long time to get to - I used to avoid them at all costs - my philosophy was, if the rangers didn't know you, that meant you hadn't been in trouble :))

Anywho...I always stay in BSP over Columbus Day weekend, it's been an annual trip for me for many years. I don't bother with Katahdin at that time, as the woods that time of year are awesome. Sometimes it's hot, sometimes it's cold, and one year we bagged Russell Pond because of 100% chance of precipitation all weekend, which turned out to be a good thing, since the precip turned out to be snow, and Chimney Pond got a freak 40 inches. Dayhikers were stranded. I've also seen it mobbed that weekend with leaf peepers and moose watchers.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
we'll be there

I just got a reservation with about 10 other people for Chimney Pond the first week of October, so it's possible. Last Year midweek at Katahdin Stream the last week of Sept was quite open when I sent in two weeks ahead for a reservation- we got a great site and had some good conversations with thruhikers who were about to finish. The last two years: last year, nice weather, summited the Brothers, Fort, big K and Hamlin. The year before, two consecutive class IV days in early October because of ice above treeline and we were toast. You win some, you lose some.

Maybe we'll see you there!
Weatherman

Cool. We are still looking at lodging. Our wives will be with us to enjoy non-hiking activities in the area. I would love to camp, but the Mrs. 'needs' a shower everyday :rolleyes: .