Katahdin Lake Project - My 1,000th post ...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spencer

Reaction score
Maine Avatar: We could use some snow around here
I just noticed that I have 999 posts and I figured the 1000th ought to be about something worthwhile, so here goes...

We discussed the Katahdin Lake Project last week. If you are in favor of the project and want to see Katahdin Lake become part of Baxter State Park, read on:

From a very reliable source:
I don't believe the Authority will accept the parcel as part of BSP if hunting is allowed, so if you support the project, you may want to make your feelings known to your local legislators

There has been a bit of controversy b/c some folks want hunting to remain allowed on the parcel (as it has been under private ownership) but hunting doesn't jive with Baxter's vision so hunting will have to be banned on the parcel if it is to become part of the park. I'm not in the least bit against hunting but with millions and millions of acres of woods open to hunting in Maine I think it is reasonable that these be set aside for other uses. So, I've contacted my local legislators to voice my opinion. I urge other Maine residents to do the same (Senators and Representatives)

The Trust for Public Land is handling the deal and can be reached at:

The Katahdin Lake Project
c/o Patty Murray
The Trust for Public Land
33 Union St., 4th Floor
Boston, MA 02108

I give to a few causes here and there but this is truly worthy of a share of my modest wages.

Please let your voices be heard.

This and this is the land we're talking about.
Here's to another 6,000 acres to explore!
Spencer

Last edited:
I thought there was a proposal to open up other areas to hunting (not in the park or proposed park boundaries) as an offset to what is lost in this area.

"...1000th ought to be about something worthwhile..."

Congratulations!!! I believe you did it ;)

Hope lots of folks let their feelings be known! Thanks for helping get the word out!

Now...what's this about beer??? :confused:

Nice post Spencer... a worthy cause and one I can get behind. I'm going to draft a few letters this weekend.

<mod hat>
Just updating the thread title so readers will know what it's about.

-dave-
</mod hat>

I received this email today from the friends of Bigelow and thought it was worth passing on:

Dear Friends:

We are writing you on a matter of urgency regarding the Bigelow Preserve. As you may have seen in recent news articles, the State of Maine is proposing a land swap with the Gardner Land Co. to acquire additional land for Baxter State Park. What is not widely known is that one of the parcels proposed to be given to Gardner in this deal is land in Wyman township (1069 acres) that legally should be part of the Bigelow Preserve!

Friends of Bigelow, while supportive of the goal of expanding Baxter State Park according to Governor Baxter's original vision, does not feel it is correct or appropriate to "rob Peter to pay Paul," so to speak. Upon learning of this deal, only a few days prior to the State's public announcement, Friends of Bigelow protested to the Bureau of Parks and Lands and asked that the Wyman parcel be removed from the swap. BPL claims they cannot do so.

The Wyman parcel contains 70 acres of Old Growth forest abutting the Appalachian Trail and contains a mile of frontage on the south side of Rt. 27. The rest of the parcel is nicely wooded and will likely be cut and subdivided if it passes out of State ownership. This parcel is also part of historic public lot #4 according to records found in the Franklin County Registry of Deeds.

The Wyman parcel is a public lot contiguous to the Bigelow Preserve on its southwest side. Section 1 of AN ACT to Establish a Public Preserve in the Bigelow Mountain Area states "All public lots within or contiguous to this area shall be included within the Bigelow Preserve."

FOB needs your help to persuade Governor John Baldacci and Department of Conservation Commissioner Patrick McGowan to remove the Wyman parcel from the swap with Gardner and to officially declare it part of the Bigelow Preserve. Please write, call, or email them as soon as possible:

Governor John Baldacci
1 State House Station
Augusta, ME 04333-0001
287-3531
[email protected]

Commissioner Patrick McGowan
Department of Conservation
22 State House Station
Augusta, ME 04333-0022
287-4900
[email protected]

Thank you,
Friends of Bigelow

el-bagr said:
http://news.mainetoday.com/apwire/D8H6IA901-113.shtml

The Katahdin Lake parcel was added to Baxter State Park this afternoon.

"Now the hard work of raising the necessary $11.5 million in private funds is what stands between us and the fulfillment of Gov. Baxter´s dream. With all of the awareness and support generated by the legislative process, I am confident that the people of Maine will rise to the challenge and help us to meet our goal," [Sam] Hodder [of the Trust for Public Land] said.
----
That's a lot of bake sales and car washes...