Katahdin...sneak attack! 10/13/12

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jake L.

Reaction score
Had an awesome weekend at Baxter State Park, staying in lean-to's Friday and Saturday night at Roaring Brook. Got a perfect weather window on Saturday, between days of trail closures, and was able to sneak up to the summit with a great group of friends. The mountain had received some snow during the week which made for a nice wintery excursion. Above Chimney Pond there were a couple inches of snow and the Saddle was pretty slick from all the hikers. The wind on the Tablelands were about 30mph ,give or take, and temps around 20*F. Visibility was excellent! We awoke Sunday morning to a nice blanket of snow :D
Photos below:

North Basin
Picture%2520004.jpg

Chimney Pond
Picture%2520068.jpg

Pamola and Summit
Picture%2520060.jpg

Tablelands and Hamlin Peak
Picture%2520056.jpg

The alpine
Picture%2520050.jpg

Knifes Edge
Picture%2520037.jpg

Pamola
Picture%2520036.jpg

Sunday morning snow!
Picture%2520079.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing your trip and pictures. Nice to see Katahdin with snow and rime! Noticed a few hikers out on the Knifes Edge--made me think with the winds and slick footing, no thank you!

Nice photos, unique perspective. One of my favorites is, surprisingly, of the shelter. I love the person sitting up as though thinking: "What the heck happened overnight. It was summer yesterday!"

I was up that day. Saddle was rough, we went up Cathedral and it was generally better since we were first up that day. I couldn't believe how busy it was. One of the busiest days I have seen up on Katahdin ever, and I've been up 14 times now. Also a bunch of denim for such chilly conditions.

The one of the shelter is my favorite to but they are all great! :)