kayaking in the Carribean, St. Lucia

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amstony

Reaction score
Between january 20th and 27th I was able to get out and kayak around Rodney Bay and Pidgeon Island, both in the northerrn end of St. Lucia, that utterly beautiful Carribean locale. I was there for my birthday with Chanelgirl.

This was actually only the 3rd time I had ever used a kayak, so my trip trip was to refamilarize myself with how to do it! Thanks to Alpinista for teaching me a new skill last Summer in Salem harbor!

Kayak Trip #1

I went out into Rodney Bay for about 45 minutes using a plastic, open top, single passenger kayak. ChanelGirl preferred to sit this out and enjoy the beach and pool! :)

The trip was fairly easy and i stayed within a quarter mile of the shoreline. the biggest issue was avoiding the idiots racing around in Jet skis's not minding for anyone else in the water, and resort patrons going on water skiing and water tubimg trips! Also, the water was a little rougher than I thought it would be. It was laer in the afternoon when I went on this trip.

It was hot and suntan lotion was a definite must.......but on this first rip I left it at the pool, inadvertently! :eek:

Pics are attached below.

Your "Kayak Row" picture: What is that big thing at the right of the kayaks with the big fat balloon wheel? is that like a beach cruiser or a beach handicap chair or a beach cart?

Jay

Now THAT'S kayaking! I've been to the Bahamas a few times but never down as far as St. Lucia. Looks like I now have an excuse to go to St.Lucia... to do some kayaking!

Great pics, especially for a cold wintery day. Thanks for sharing.

Last edited:
Jay H said:
Your "Kayak Row" picture: What is that big thing at the right of the kayaks with the big fat balloon wheel? is that like a beach cruiser or a beach handicap chair or a beach cart?

Jay

They had those in the Bahamas as well. You actually ride it on top of the water.

Jay H said:
Your "Kayak Row" picture: What is that big thing at the right of the kayaks with the big fat balloon wheel? is that like a beach cruiser or a beach handicap chair or a beach cart? Jay

jay- That big thing with ballon wheels is a water tricycle, you need 2 to use it and is a hoot to take into the water!! The thing is like driving a bus in the water and allot of fun! :) :D :p

OK. Enough of the shameless promotion of your winter hiking boots in that second photo of the first post ... and that new-fangled convertible ice axe paddling pole, what did that set you back? :p

Tony,looks like an excellent trip. Great way to celebrate "getting old" :D

I did a trip to one of the St Lucia Sandals a few years ago. I was like a kid in a candy store. "Look at all these water toys!" I sailed Hobies till I ran out of people to sail with me,I must have been out for six hours,then I did a dive the next day. I tried out the sit on top kayaks,but it was too strange for me. I'm a "monkey in the bucket" kayaker. I did take a sit on top out and lay it over on edge and scull for support. Totally freaked the beach manager!
"Hey buddy,you can't do that!"
"Hey...I just did!"
Really funny.

We tried to arrange a climb in the Pitons,but we couldn't coordinate the time with the guy who would hike with us.

So now that you tried tropical kayaking,are you ready for a new hobby?

I would be really jealous,but we're headed to Exuma to go kayaking in March! :D