keep your ears peeled for rutting moose!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forestgnome

Reaction score
Yesterday, while hunting for moose (with my camera) off a well-used trail in the southern White Mts., I almost witnessed a moose rut. I've always wanted to see/photograph a rut. I was creeping through an area of heavy moose sign, within earshot of the trail because I could hear occasional voices from hiking parties. I heard a moose blow ( a loud exhale ) then a moment later I heard the sound of clashing antlers! It sounded like a baseball bat against a tree. Did I just hear what I thought I heard?!!! The wind was directly in my favor. Then I heard another clash. I slowly creeped in the direction and soon I was looking at two bulls standing near each other, about 200' through the trees. Again, I heard voices from the trail. Then the wind changed and suddenly both bulls were staring in my direction even though I had not made a sound. I stood frozen for 15 minutes as they stared in my direction, waiting for the wind to return to my favor. Since I was running out of time I decided to try to creep closer to them making moose grunt noises, but they trotted away. D'oh!

I went over to where they were to find a little rutting field of sorts. It was a round area, 20' in diameter, where all the ground was bare of leaves and completely covered in hoof prints. It reminded of the jousting field at the renaissance fair in MA that I attended just the day before, where knights did battle as ladies looked on. Very cool. Even found a nice antler nearby!

Anyway, noises from the trail didn't bother them. They were hanging out and rutting within earshot of this well-used trail.

Happy Trails!

Last edited:
WOW! Great report...sounds like a fantastic experience. I've always wanted to see this as well, but haven't had such luck. Hope you get another change...maybe bring a blind cloth back to the 'arena'!!!

Good luck!
~w7x

Thats awesome! I got to witness some intense areas of tromping and rutting near stillwater this fall. Then we even got close to a bull. That can make the hair stand up on your neck..-Mattl

forestnome said:
I decided to try to creep closer to them making moose grunt noises........ knights did battle as ladies looked on.
that is what you saw - one guy intruded in the others area (looking to do his harem) - you are lucky that the one who lost the fight (and the lady) didn't come over and do you!!!
a horny animal is dangerous - keep out of thier way...
don't grunt unless you have a wepon.