Keeping Water Liquid

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spencer, is your design a "cozy" type wrap ? Do you try to create a lid ?
I've got an old, black 1/4 or 3/8 ensolite that's begging to be reborn.

I'm going to do some experiments this week with boiling, warm, tap and cold water and gator aid.

I have used the OR's for years of winter hiking and never once had a problem. I boil up my Tang, and even on the coldest of days, once -20 on a trip to N. Kennebago, ever had a freezing problem, or a zipper problem. I bought them many years ago so they have been a good investment for me.

Great thread. It reminded me of a problem we had in physics.

Newton's Law of Cooling states that the rate of change of the temperature of an object is proportional to the difference between its own temperature and the ambient temperature.

It means that hot water will cool at a faster rate then water at a lower temperature, both exposed to the same ambient tempurature. In a certain amount of time both will be at the same temp.

But who wants to do a differential equation on a hikers' web site? I can think of no betterway to get a red square and probation from a moderator.

Puck said:
Great thread. It reminded me of a problem we had in physics.

Newton's Law of Cooling states that the rate of change of the temperature of an object is proportional to the difference between its own temperature and the ambient temperature.

It means that hot water will cool at a faster rate then water at a lower temperature, both exposed to the same ambient tempurature. In a certain amount of time both will be at the same temp.

But who wants to do a differential equation on a hikers' web site? I can think of no betterway to get a red square and probation from a moderator.
You didn't integrate your differential equation properly: Yes the hotter bottle cools faster initially, but the rate of cooling tapers off as the temperature difference is reduced. By the time it reaches the temperature of the initially cool bottle, it will act the same. Thus the hotter bottle adds more time "up front".

Thus, all else being equal, starting with hot water in your bottle will increase the time to freezing over starting with cool water.

Doug

DougPaul said:
You didn't integrate your differential equation properly: Doug

so now I am praying to the Gods of partial credit. Again!

Last edited:
for day trips - if its below minus 20 - I ain't going - so there is that caveat.

OR parkas - usually works fine - throw them in the pack - or next to body. upside down

overnight - I just sleep with them in the bag.

if they do freeze and you it catch it in time - you can thaw them pretty quick if tuck them in the jacket next to body. unless they are a frozen brick - then your fecked!

Hot water freezing quicker

I have seen boiling or HOT water freeze quicker than room temp water in a race of sorts.

It was Mr. Wizard that did it.

They took a pan of water that was boiling and placed it in a freezer on top of a block of ice. The other pan of water was room temp and placed on a different block of ice in the same freezer. The boiling water froze first because it melted the ice just enough to form a perfect connection with the ice block that cooled the water quicker. The other pan had a small gap between the ice and pan making it cool slower and freeze second. I 'm sure I'm leaving out a bunch of other stuff that made the boiling water freeze first, but I thought it was interesting. Plus I loved that show!

Chip said:
I'm going to do some experiments this week with boiling, warm, tap and cold water and gator aid.
Gatorade and it's ilk are nice the way they freeze. They tend to become more of a slush, rather than large hard pieces. Much easier to drink... if yo don'T mind ice cream headaches.

Hot water freezing: Here's a fun trick you can to at home. The next time it is -40, boil a pot of water, then throw it out your second floor window. Have someone photograph this as you do it.

NOTE: If yo ulive in a high-rise, you probably should not do this.

Well, I do know that beer cooled to around 20 degrees F. will freeze within seconds after opening. :mad:

Here's an interesting link about the Mpemba Effect: Science stuff

Pete_Hickey said:
Much easier to drink... if yo don'T mind ice cream headaches.

QUOTE]

Yeah, last time out every drink I had I thought a spike was being driven through my brain :eek: ...a small spike mind you....

Pete_Hickey said:
Hot water freezing: Here's a fun trick you can to at home. The next time it is -40, boil a pot of water, then throw it out your second floor window. Have someone photograph this as you do it.

I'm imagining something like snow or an extended blob of ice hitting the ground. :D
Anyway, I won't send my wife or boys down below to take the photo... :eek: