Kelty Red Cloud 5600 backpack

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGEarl

Reaction score
I'm interested in hearing if anybody has experience with the Kelty Red Cloud 5600. And, do you have a positive or negative opinion?

The person considering this pack has back problems and is concerned about suspension, weight distribution, adjustability, etc.

Any first-hand information and opinions would be very helpful.

Thanks,
Earl

Yep, I've got one. It's a pretty straight-forward pack. I've had no problems with it. It's comfortable, durable, etc. But at 6 pounds empty, it's no lightweight.

I also have one and like it a lot. I know it is heavier than others, yet I chose it for the external pockets. I do not like packs without external pockets because I hate to have to go into the main pack to find something. I have carried up to sixty pounds with no problem. On one trip to Isolation I pulled my back and had to carry sixty pounds down Boott Spur Link and made it without too much pain.

Chip said:
Earl, have they considered or tried an external frame pack ?

I don't know, but believe it is being considered as well. I am completely unfamiliar with external frame packs, manufacturers that sell them, or how they compare to each other and the internal frame packs.

Do you have any recommendations?

Thanks.

I have a 25 year old Kelty external frame that I still use sometimes. I don't think external frame packs ever got that "technical", so make/model is probably not that important. I'd be happy to loan you mine for a month or 2 if he wanted to try it. Although you could probably pick up old ones for next to nothing if you look around.

BigEarl said:
or how they compare to each other and the internal frame packs.
External frames carry the load higher, with more support, so it's easier to carry more weight or easier to carry the same weight if you've a bad back, than an internal frame.

Last edited:
BIGEarl said:
I don't know, but believe it is being considered as well. I am completely unfamiliar with external frame packs, manufacturers that sell them, or how they compare to each other and the internal frame packs.

Do you have any recommendations?

Thanks.

Earl -

Years ago I had Jansport D5 - this is the newer version of that pack..http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___99803.

Great price, too...I'd have to agree with Chip about external's being friendlier on the back...

Scott

packs

Cant say much for the kelty , but have the osprey 35, greatest comfort so far and rides nice.got from ems...they will insure you get the "proper" fit which can stop alot of problems. It is a back entry. If you go to the next size up they become top load. It was a perfect fit right off the back, if you try on enough you will cross the one that you just know is right for you. :D

Kelty

I am not sure if any of this will help at all. I am female and LOVE the fit of the two Kelty internal frame packs that I own (one is a 5 yr old medium sized red wing.... the other is about 13 years old - and is gigantic... more of an expedition pack- I do believe it is an old red cloud..but I am not seeing anything like it on EBAY or the net- the pack itself only says KELTY- no model name.)

The larger and older model has a multitude of adjustments - right down to adjusting the stays torso length (when pack is off of course). It took a little time, but, once that pack was tweaked... I was in love with it. I can take a 50 lb load and feel stable. And it holds sooooo much more than my boyfriends pack. It has held up through the years.

As I said, I am female. I have always been heavy, but do not have back or knee problems. My very tall and thin boyfriend who has back and knee problems from a car accident -does not like either of my Kelty packs. Because my pack is so much larger, he has actually attempted to use my pack. He (over)loaded it and immediately took it off- he said he couldn't take the fit. He insists the pack cuts him funny around the hips/waist and hurts his back as well. His number chief complaint is that the shoulder straps cut his shoulders and neck at a bad angle. Mr. Badback relies on his Lowe Alpine internal frame and an EMS external frame packs.

Anywho... I remember trying out packs at EMS years ago Hang out for a few hours and load up a few packs... get a feel for what is comfortable.

Thanks to everybody for all of the pointers. I'm sure the information will be very helpful.

Earl

I updated my 30 year old Kelty external frame pack a few years ago. The newer Kelty models have much better waistbelts. I've tried internals and I can't find anything near the comfort of my external. But this is all personal. I have friends who can't tolerate an external frame. Withmy exteranl froam pack I can carry a full load and a pack canoe with paddle. Portaging close to 60 pounds with the weight transferred to my hips is very doable for several miles. So that frame works for me.

the only "intolerable" thing I've experienced with an external is the creaking.
I feel they are underrated and overlooked. Declasse', like cagoules are now.
Who'd be seen in The Whites with an EXTERNAL ??? :rolleyes: